Help Any cards that stop a Pokemon attack that circumvents effects/abilities?

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Are there any stadiums, tools, or Pokemon abilities that negate attacks that bypass effects/abilities such as Mew VMAX's Max Miracle (This attack’s damage isn’t affected by any effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon)? Excluding Pokemon attacks of course, I realize there are attacks such as Morpeko's [RCL] Torment etc. that can deny attacks.

For example, if my active Pokemon is Xurkitree GX with the Flashing Head ability (Prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon that have any Special Energy attached to them) and Mew VMAX has a special energy attached, is there any card that will stop it from landing Max Miracle?

Nyora

A Cat
Unfortunately no. But typically these attacks are weak, or are locked behind dumb costs. Here are a couple of methods of dealing with these attacks:

Energy denial. Especially in expanded, special energy goes berserk. Faba, Enhanced Hammer, or Sidney are all great tools to use against Special Energy, which a lot of these attacks will use. Otherwise, Plumeria and Team Flare Grunt can be effective. Just keep in mind that using this means you are likely to have already been hit by the attack!

Attack deniers. You mentioned Morpeko, but in some cases, denying the attack can work. Against Mew VMAX specifically I dont think there is a good tool, but BUS Vileplume actually stops the attacks of Basic Pokemon while it is active, so a Shred-like effect (Max Miracle's effect) wouldn't even be able to happen since the attack doesn't occur at all.

And of course, for the specific case, Alolan Persian-GX? It has 200 HP and resistance, meaning Mew VMAX needs 90 more damage to OHKO it. This is still very doable with Power Tablets and/or Leon/Kukui, but it does provide you some better defense than Xurkitree has. Also, the ability isnt cancelled by Alklan Mul or Silent Lab, meaning it is active in more scenarios, which can be useful. However, Lighting-GX is still a VERY good GX attack. Either way, there is no solid method of blocking this aside from shifting to a control style deck. You may be better off trying to find a different method of beating Mew VMAX.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Excellent advice. I do have 1 x Enchanted Hammer and 2 x Faba's in my deck (along with 4 VS Seeker's) and agree this is the best strategy vs Mew VMAX.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you, when you say:
Against Mew VMAX specifically I dont think there is a good tool, but BUS Vileplume actually stops the attacks of Basic Pokemon while it is active, so a Shred-like effect (Max Miracle's effect) wouldn't even be able to happen since the attack doesn't occur at all.

you mean that BUS Vileplume would NOT work against Mew VMAX because she's not a Basic Pokemon but WOULD stop something like EVS Dragonite V from attacking because it's basic?

Nyora

A Cat
Excellent advice. I do have 1 x Enchanted Hammer and 2 x Faba's in my deck (along with 4 VS Seeker's) and agree this is the best strategy vs Mew VMAX.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you, when you say:

you mean that BUS Vileplume would NOT work against Mew VMAX because she's not a Basic Pokemon but WOULD stop something like EVS Dragonite V from attacking because it's basic?
Yep, Dragonite V wouldn't even be able to use Shred. But this wouldn't work against Mew VMAX as it's not a basic. Additionally, since Vileplume is applying the effect on Dragonite V to not attack, a card like Stealthy Hood would prevent Vileplume's ability, letting it attack again, so watch for that. should say though, I'm not aware of the expanded Mew VMAX builds, but they could be running basic energies so keep an eye out for ways to get rid of those. Also, sometimes people only run like 1-of counters to stuff, and so if you have ways to get rid of those like the previously mentioned Girafarig after it hits the discard, that can help a lot. But if it is their attacker, and you have space in your deck, you can also run Lugia-GX for its Lost Purge GX, removing the active pokemon and all its goodies from the game.