Discussion Any Advice for an Old Player?

Giufla91

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone, here is a very old player (last time I played competitive was almost ten years ago).
First I am very glad to see, or better to notice, that pokebeach is always in first place as community, news and advices regarding the tcg ( not only in the competitive field).
So soon after I decided to come back and play pokemon tcg I activated the new account (since in these years many email passed away or simply forgotten).

Second, I've just bought a sun and moon box and I finf myself with very interesting cards such as (2 decidueye gx, 3 lurantis gx, 3 umbreon gx and also a pair of incineroar gx) (obv I didn't find all of them in just the box eheheh), but more important I lack in trainer.

so I was thinking to build a for fun deck (waiting for my city league to be activated... I also made again the professor test and passed it) and for this I was planning something with fire (my favourite type).

Also I saw that decidueye gx is doing very well and it will be no such effort to build it (excluding shaymin ex eheheh).

So here it comes my question... which trainer cards(item, supporter, stadium) should I buy to have a strong start base in building decks? ( considering also the next rotation 'cause it is very unlikely that I'll play something serious and with ability before the next september)

Thanks to everyone that will leave an adivce or just an encouragement in this my new (old) adventure!

There is a series of products called "Battle Arena Decks". These are two-deck sets sold together, with a focus on helping folks with the Expanded Format as it will contain re-releases/reprints of older cards. To be clear, the cards will usually have their original art, set number, set symbol, etc. so they do not count as a reprint for purposes like a card remaining legal in Standard play (confusing, I know). The MSRP for these things is $29.99 USD, if you don't have
  1. Xerneas Vs Yveltal - The oldest (Released in October of 2014) and least impressive, but it still contains some good cards. Most of them are readily available elsewhere, so I'd only pick it up if it is inexpensive (no more than the MSRP, and preferably less).
  2. Mewtwo Vs Darkrai - Highly recommended unless the markup is high (beyond $40 USD, I'd skip it). This is the second oldest (October 2015) and since it was good, you probably won't find it for the right price. This one contains one exclusive promo - Trevor - but he isn't used competitively.
  3. Keldeo Vs Rayquaza - Technically the current one, unless the next example has already released. Unless general economic reasons apply, don't pay over MSRP. For example, I live in a small town, so while it was locally available in one store, it was a few dollars over MSRP. As I can and do regularly travel to a much larger city 20-30 minutes away, no sense paying the markup unless the general supply dries up and suddenly the overpriced stores are the only ones carrying it. Not quite as good as Mewtwo Vs Darkrai, but really close. Better if you have a deck that needs the specific Pokémon this release contains. Oh, and this is currenly the only way to get a Karen.
  4. Black Kyurem Vs White Kyurem - Slated for release this June, its exact contents are unknown. The odd thing is that this one seems to be "breaking the rules" a bit, because it seems to contain a new printing for some of the older cards. With what little we've seen, it has Professor Sycamore and Trainers' Mail with new art, which should mean a new expansion symbol/collector number. Which does not mean it will automatically be worth picking up, since that would keep past printings legal (which may be easier to acquire).

So here it comes my question... which trainer cards(item, supporter, stadium) should I buy to have a strong start base in building decks? ( considering also the next rotation 'cause it is very unlikely that I'll play something serious and with ability before the next september)

Welcome back to Pokémon TCG.

First of all, I'd encourage you to review the various Decidueye GX deck posts in the Deck Garage Forum in order to review the different Trainer cards used in those particular decks. Some Trainers will be "standard" - used across most decks; and some (e.g., Forest of Giant Plants, Revitalizer, etc.) will be specific to that deck. Needless to say, some cards also may be used due to the player's style.

Also, if you were to review the Trainers section of different decks in the Deck Garage Forum, you'll see a variety of Trainers, but most will be "anchored" by, IMO, the following Items (I) and Supporters (S):

• Lillie (S). Optional, supplemental card-draw support; best used when deck utilizes "high" item card counts
  • Lysandre (S). The current "Gust of Wind" type supporter allowing you to select and bring an opponent's benched Pokémon to the Active position.
  • N (S). Secondary card-draw support, but also causes both players to shuffle their hands into their decks (could disrupt opponent's hand) and then draw cards based upon number of remaining prize cards
  • Professor Kukui (S). Draw 2 cards, but also boosts damage output by +20
  • Professor Sycamore (S). Primary card-draw support
  • Trainer's Mail (I). Trainer search support
  • Ultra Ball (I). Supports searching for any Pokémon
  • VS Seeker (I). Recovers discarded Supporter for reuse
If there is one Stadium I'd use in any deck, it would only be Parallel City. IMO, the others will be mostly deck-dependent.

May you enjoy your journey of getting back into the game.

There is a series of products called "Battle Arena Decks". These are two-deck sets sold together, with a focus on helping folks with the Expanded Format as it will contain re-releases/reprints of older cards. To be clear, the cards will usually have their original art, set number, set symbol, etc. so they do not count as a reprint for purposes like a card remaining legal in Standard play (confusing, I know). The MSRP for these things is $29.99 USD, if you don't have
  1. Xerneas Vs Yveltal - The oldest (Released in October of 2014) and least impressive, but it still contains some good cards. Most of them are readily available elsewhere, so I'd only pick it up if it is inexpensive (no more than the MSRP, and preferably less).
  2. Mewtwo Vs Darkrai - Highly recommended unless the markup is high (beyond $40 USD, I'd skip it). This is the second oldest (October 2015) and since it was good, you probably won't find it for the right price. This one contains one exclusive promo - Trevor - but he isn't used competitively.
  3. Keldeo Vs Rayquaza - Technically the current one, unless the next example has already released. Unless general economic reasons apply, don't pay over MSRP. For example, I live in a small town, so while it was locally available in one store, it was a few dollars over MSRP. As I can and do regularly travel to a much larger city 20-30 minutes away, no sense paying the markup unless the general supply dries up and suddenly the overpriced stores are the only ones carrying it. Not quite as good as Mewtwo Vs Darkrai, but really close. Better if you have a deck that needs the specific Pokémon this release contains. Oh, and this is currenly the only way to get a Karen.
  4. Black Kyurem Vs White Kyurem - Slated for release this June, its exact contents are unknown. The odd thing is that this one seems to be "breaking the rules" a bit, because it seems to contain a new printing for some of the older cards. With what little we've seen, it has Professor Sycamore and Trainers' Mail with new art, which should mean a new expansion symbol/collector number. Which does not mean it will automatically be worth picking up, since that would keep past printings legal (which may be easier to acquire).
Ok thanks, I'm gonna check these battle arena decks which I didn't know at all!!

Welcome back to Pokémon TCG.

First of all, I'd encourage you to review the various Decidueye GX deck posts in the Deck Garage Forum in order to review the different Trainer cards used in those particular decks. Some Trainers will be "standard" - used across most decks; and some (e.g., Forest of Giant Plants, Revitalizer, etc.) will be specific to that deck. Needless to say, some cards also may be used due to the player's style.

Also, if you were to review the Trainers section of different decks in the Deck Garage Forum, you'll see a variety of Trainers, but most will be "anchored" by, IMO, the following Items (I) and Supporters (S):

• Lillie (S). Optional, supplemental card-draw support; best used when deck utilizes "high" item card counts
  • Lysandre (S). The current "Gust of Wind" type supporter allowing you to select and bring an opponent's benched Pokémon to the Active position.
  • N (S). Secondary card-draw support, but also causes both players to shuffle their hands into their decks (could disrupt opponent's hand) and then draw cards based upon number of remaining prize cards
  • Professor Kukui (S). Draw 2 cards, but also boosts damage output by +20
  • Professor Sycamore (S). Primary card-draw support
  • Trainer's Mail (I). Trainer search support
  • Ultra Ball (I). Supports searching for any Pokémon
  • VS Seeker (I). Recovers discarded Supporter for reuse
If there is one Stadium I'd use in any deck, it would only be Parallel City. IMO, the others will be mostly deck-dependent.

May you enjoy your journey of getting back into the game.

Thanks, particularly for these card descriptions it will help a lot in understanding the new dynamics of pokemon tcg....
as you said I'm gonna spend some nights reading all the post in deck garage and maybe in one months also the posts in the competitive section (hope so)

Anyway thanks very much, I'm very glad to come back in pokemon tcg and in here!

Back