Discussion Anti-Meta Serperior

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
So Serperior is a new card coming out of Fates Collide, if you don't know what it does here it is.

[C] - Coil 40 Damage your attacks do 60 more damage during your next turn

[G] - Slashing Strike 80 This pokemon can't use Slashing Strike During your next turn

This is card is terrible on it's own being a stage two with sub-par attacks. But when paired with Muscle Band and Forest of Giant plants That coil does 60 damage + 60 next turn So 60 + 100 from muscle band and coil adding up to 160 and when you add ariados that equals 60 + 160 = 220 damage in two hits. Also take into account Super Scoop up could be added to get rid of the damage on Serperior and then place it back down with Forest of Giant Plants. And finally this card does weakness to Zygarde/Regirock and Greninja Break. I also like the matchup against Night March if you decide to run Octillery instead of Shaymin-EX.

Just some thoughts brought up from the Deck Garage. Thanks for reading! :D

Actually, slashing strike does 80 so it will add up to 180 even without muscle band. And Servine has a neat ability.

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is nowParalyzed.

You can reuse this many times with Super Scoop Up, AZ, and Revitalizer.

True. Thank you for the additions. Now the question is will it be good enough to compete in major tournaments? I believe with an element of surprise it could do well.

If there's one thing going for Serperior, it is this: The pre-evolution Servine can give a good advantage for you at the start. If you went first, you can cause paralysis, and thus can make your opponent unable to attack on their first turn. This is quite powerful and momentum changing: Oftentimes, a player of decks like Night March wants to go second, just so it can KO an EX or something to quickly go up in prizes. Servine can end up denying an opponent this opportunity... Unless they are truly prepared to do a switchout turn one.

I should play it in a way where I'd have an active serperior, one/two more in bench and 1 Snivy in bench, so I could evolve/devolve it several times without needing the flip coin of SSU or using the supporter of the turn.

For those who hasn't seen it yet, here's the card:
SerperiorAwakeningPsychicKing7.jpg

Ariados can be a nice addition to the deck IMO. You could run it with Target Wistle so 80+Muscle Band+Poison = Shaymin KO. Then play the TW and repeat the process every 2 turns.

I've actually been super excited about Serperior for a while now and I can't wait to play it! Its Stage 2 status isn't actually that bad since it can take advantage of the Battle Compressor/Revitalizer combo, and its attack costs 1 energy so you could set it up in 1 turn. Servine helps too; the paralysis flip with AZ/Devolution Spray/SSU is kind of awesome, and could give you a free turn to use tiny Coil.

The thing I like about Coil is its math. With a Muscle band it 2HKOs everything in the game that isn't Fury Belted, a Ho-oh with Fire Energy, or a Mega: 40+20 = 60, and then 40+60+20 = 120, totalling 180 (every non-Mega with more than 180HP is weak to grass). After the first Coil, you'll then be doing 120 until the band is lost or the streak is broken, which is enough to OHKO Shaymin and to start 2hKOing Megas and Fury Belts. A charged up Coil even without a band is enough to take out Zoroark and Garbodor too, if they're messing with your Paralysis.

So, it seems like you want to be swinging away with Coil until Serperior is about to go down, and use Slashing Strike as a last resort, or when you have a window to take out a threat and kill their momentum long enough to Coil again.

Its biggest obstacles are probably Fire and Ho-Oh, but I was thinking of teching in a Toad or something.

This thread makes me very happy.

I wonder if there's a way to sneak Vileplume in here and using Battle Compressor + Revitalizer. Two Stage-2 lines are super clunky though, so maybe 2-2 Ariados will have to do. 140 HP is nice as well, and by using only one Energy to attack, you can potentially take advantage of Max Potion.

So basically you're all discussing the deck I posted here earlier in the week!

In the first few weeks following the release of Fates Collide, I expect to see Zygarde/Regirock decks; so Serperior could be a good choice.

I personally do not like the addition of Ariados. It seems like some unnecessary damage. I like Octillery in its place for draw power and it eliminates the threat of having a Shaymin on your bench.

The only thing I HATE about serpiorior is the fact that it gets OHKO'd by Delhpox with Psycho Storm. There really isn't much of a way to stop it, and I wish there was.

Also, recommending playing 3-4 lysandres and at least three vs seekers FOR THE LYSANDRES because while serpiorior IS anti-meta, it dies the Delphox. So what ya want to do it try to murder all their fennekins as quick as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there something I'm missing in the wording of the attack because it seems to me that it doesn't conitualy stack up damage in my mind but I could be totally wrong.

Is there something I'm missing in the wording of the attack because it seems to me that it doesn't conitualy stack up damage in my mind but I could be totally wrong.
So the point isn't that it infinitely stacks. Rather that after the first Coil, each Coil does 120 for 1 energy+muscle band. This offers it a lot of 2HKOs, as well as giving you the option to break the chain with Slashing Strike for 160. The low energy cost lets it abuse Max Potion, and its Grass-typing gives it access to a great amount of support from Forest of Giant Plants to Revitalizer+Compressor combo.

If it was somehow infinitely stacking it would be broken. As it is, it offers a solid non-EX 2HKO attacker that OHKOs some of the scarier giant health Pokemon (i.e. Seismitoad+Belt, P Groudon, and P Kyogre)

You could probably sneak in vileplume with revitalizer plus maybe compressor with a thin enough line in my opinion, here is why...
Forest of Broken Time- I mean Forest of Giant Plants! Now hear me out but if we look back to DP/PL Era it worked and it still should in theory. Get out your serperior with ultra balls and shaymin for draw support, while compressing the vileplume lines to draw the serperior stuff. Then you come in with revitalizer drop your plume with float stone and have some serperior lines ready to go again plus some energy and youre set. AZ would be too good as well to pick up plume if needed and the serperior to heal and drop for paralysis. Devo spray also but with plume that could be tough. Also if you want level ball is nice to help get out stage 1s so if you wanted i see it working relatively well but i feel its probably not THE best way to run it as serperior in my opinon needs items.
Speaking of items since this card seems a little low maintenance we could do hammers to combat vespiquen and stuff...maybe the new barbacle
One more thing I fear for this card...it may end up as the next BRP Garchomp...Definitely not bad but a little overhyped and turns out to be a little undewhelming in reality and testing then again thats just a fear and definitely hope it doesnt happen

This is my favourite deck to play on the client right now. With so many Greninja & Garchomp decks around it just eats them for breakfast. I'm not sure how it will hold up in the more competitive RL meta.

I've tried a few builds. A big no to pairing it with Vileplume. So much of the deck revolves around using the Revitalizer not just for set-up, but later in the game too. As soon as someone knocks out a Serperior, you can have the Snivy into Servine combo right back on the bench and hopefully hitting for paralysis. As for Ariados, I've found it only very occasionally useful. The one big situation being a Shaymin for the extra 10, to make an uncoiled Slashing Strike + Muscle band add up to 80 + 20 + 10. So.., occasional at best.

The old reliable Miltank has been the best pairing so far. Takes advantage of the same Muscle Band for 100 for 1, and you will want to be having those Stage 2s on the bench anyway. And best of all, a non-fire weakness.

A few other points I've found. Teammates is a must and nearly the first supporter I compress if I'm not going for a Skyla for whatever part is missing from the FoGP/Revit combo, alongside a pair of Grass. Level Balls are your friend more than Ultra for a change. I've been using Shaymin for the quick turn one burst set-up, but I'm thinking of switching to Octillery just because of the Level Balls.

I've been going 4-4-4-4 on FoGP-Vs.-Revit-Compr and that's a lot of space alongside a 4-4-4 line of Serperior. I've found room for three Devolution spray and this is my preference over Scoop-Up because god knows the deck has enough flipping already. I would love to fit some Max Elixir in here since it's a one energy attacker but it's so tight already.

Last edited:
The only thing I HATE about serpiorior is the fact that it gets OHKO'd by Delhpox with Psycho Storm. There really isn't much of a way to stop it, and I wish there was.

Also, recommending playing 3-4 lysandres and at least three vs seekers FOR THE LYSANDRES because while serpiorior IS anti-meta, it dies the Delphox. So what ya want to do it try to murder all their fennekins as quick as possible.

imo Delphox break sn't competitive at all, it's way too slow, fire deck gets blacksmith already. the biggest threat will be Entei, OHKO serperior with flame screen (2 muscle band), while preventing OHKO in return, and it's also a 1 prize basic attacker, quite favourable in prize trade

I found ariados pretty decent. 80 + muscle band + poison is one dead shaymin.

And with coil. 40 and 2 turns of poison is a dead pumpkaboo coming into ur turn.

Last edited:
not to mention ariados poisonous nest also go through focus sash, it will be useful in Garchomp and Zygarde EX match up.

I am unsure of pairing Serperior with vileplume. vespiquen/vileplume had proven to be consistent and threatening. if the whole vespiquen line and 4 DCE are substituted with Serperior line and basic grass energy, it may work too.

Back