Another thread about a returning player...

nabby101

Needs a new user title.
Hey guys, I'm (possibly) getting back into this (I left around HGSS/Unleashed) and looking through the forums I've seen that almost all the best decks in the format require multiple copies of Mewtwo EX (which I've noticed are $50 a pop). I read a thread similar to this that said the only good deck that doesn't run Mewtwo is Durant mill, which seems kind of cool. I like to play a more controlling style, so maybe that deck would work for me.

But my question is, are there any solid decks I can make for $50 (not including Durant)? Can I make a competitive deck for that much? Can decks that use Mewtwo ex be played without him?

If not, what about some weird rogue controlling deck? Weavile (I believe it's the one from Undaunted) and Zoroark (BW) are two cards I like. Musharna (ND) is another cool card. Pretty much anything with card advantage + control. Is this deck a possibility? Is anything remotely competitive a possibility with $50?

Playtest Mewtwo in everything. You'll find that you don't have time to attatach energy/dont need him in many decks. Some things, like ZekEels rely on Mewtwo a ton. And other things, like MTC and GeM or GEM are based around him.

Finding a deck in this format for under 50 dollars that isn't Durant is going to be hard. It really depends on what Trainer staples you have. Things like Pokémon Collector, N, Professor Juniper, Professor Oak's New Theory, Level Ball, Pokégear 3.0, Double Colorless Energy and Pokémon Catcher are all great cards to own. Most decks play them.

As for decks without Mewtwo, it is possible. A deck like Zekrom Eels can still function without Mewtwo EX, however it will be much less effective. It is kinda like playing SP without the Toxicroak promo and Bronzong G, it still works, but is much less effective and has a harder time with different decks. If you aren't going to get a Mewtwo, do not let your opponent know you don't own a Mewtwo. I cannot stress this point enough, once people at a tournament find out you aren't playing Mewtwo, they will just attach like 7 energy to one of their Mewtwos and run through your field. Some decks that function the best without Mewtwo are google's and Chandelure. They should both be pretty cheap, you are just going to have to bite the bullet and not play Tropical Beach. I hope this post helps you out!

Actually, google needs Mewtwo a lot. They can get a Mewtwo and hurt a lot of your field. Two are needed.

Terrakion? A weird controlling deck could be like shiftry/weavile/sharpedo but thats not really controlling their hand. A Round deck is pretty cheap too. Beheeyem/weavile/slowking/attacker is a controlling deck too.

A deck named google... I would love to play that for the sole fact that it shares my name. As far as staples go, well - I have tons of staples from DP/Platinum (used to play LuxChomp before I stopped playing in HGSS), but the only HS/BW staples I have now are 2 Collectors and a set of PONT.

I'm not a huge fan of Chandeplume or google/The Truth/whatever you want to call it, because I'm not a fan of Vileplume and both decks will probably get destroyed by the rotation, which is something I'd like to survive if possible. I'd rather not play Terrakion since it's very metagame dependent and if no one in my area plays ZekEels it's not going to be that optimal.

Finally... what's GEM?

Eh, if I have the choice I'd rather not put $50+ into a deck that will be completely useless in 5 months. If it's a deck that runs some HS cards, that's fine, but something like TyRam, that relies on Typhlosion Prime, is something I'm trying to avoid (or Chandeplume, which relies on Vileplume UD).

EDIT: I've been looking over the Dark Rush scans, and Zoroark looks cool. Swarm with Darkness critters, attach a DCE, and slam in for 120. Darkrai ex could go in the deck, although it'll probably be expensive when first released...

Back