Announcing a Dramatic Increase in Prizes for PokeBeach’s Monthly Tournaments!

Wow! So if I'm a premium member, there's a 33% chance I'll get at least 4 booster packs just by participating in these tournaments!? That's incredible!

This is amazing :D Thank you Pokébeach and TCGPlayer.com!! :D I'm happy I decided to be a premium subscriber :)

Hi, I'm new. How do I enter the tournament? And what kind of tournament is it? Thanks!

Is there any chance of adding a Top Cut to these tournaments? I entered the December tournament and got excited that I made top 8, but then disappointed when I found out there was no top cut and final standings were being decided by swiss only. With such a huge prize pool, it makes more sense to take some of the luck out of the equation with a top cut.

Yeah thanks, but what I meant was is this like an IRL tourny do I have to be somewhere or? Sorry for the really dumb question lol
The matches will be played through pokemon online client, They will be taking sign ups tommorow until saturday or sunday (Usually fills up before then). You will be playing a BO3 And it will be 6 rounds.

The matches will be played through pokemon online client, They will be taking sign ups tommorow until saturday or sunday (Usually fills up before then). You will be playing a BO3 And it will be 6 rounds.
Ah, thanks so much!

Is there any chance of adding a Top Cut to these tournaments? I entered the December tournament and got excited that I made top 8, but then disappointed when I found out there was no top cut and final standings were being decided by swiss only. With such a huge prize pool, it makes more sense to take some of the luck out of the equation with a top cut.

I second this!

Also happy to announce that I bought a premium subscription today, so I hope to be taking part in these tourneys from now on!

I second this!

Also happy to announce that I bought a premium subscription today, so I hope to be taking part in these tourneys from now on!

I'm in the same boat, this finally convinced me to bite the bullet!

I would guess that the reason why there's no top cut is time. If they want this to be a monthly thing, it's hard to fit in more than 6 matches.

This is a terrible thing to do for these tournaments. You are driving away the non-premium subscribers. This is a very selfish move by Pokebeach. The prize support for non-premium stayed unchanged, but the overall prizing for premium was increased by at least 100%. Pokebeach is trying to maximize their profits through these tournaments! See through the screen.

This is a terrible thing to do for these tournaments. You are driving away the non-premium subscribers. This is a very selfish move by Pokebeach. The prize support for non-premium stayed unchanged, but the overall prizing for premium was increased by at least 100%. Pokebeach is trying to maximize their profits through these tournaments! See through the screen.
A couple of things...

1. This is a fansite. We're not a business. Nothing we do is for profit. If we were a business, I'd be called a complete failure.
2. You're getting booster packs for free, shipped to you for free. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
3. 100% of the money from the article program goes to the article writers and editors, which is then used to hire more writers, which is then used to improve the program, which is then used to get more booster packs from TCGplayer because we're giving them more exposure, which is then used to award YOU. It's literally an endless cycle to support and enrich the community. Everything we do is for you.

I literally have never gotten a booster pack or cent from this program, so I'm slightly insulted by the premise of your post, especially when my free time and money are being used to support you. But I also understand maybe you just don't know how this all works, so it's okay. <3

The prize support for non-premium stayed unchanged

It's still prizes for absolutely free for the top 8 of the 64, doesn't seem too selfish to me.

I wouldn't begrudge them the extra carrot to try lure in a few more premium subscribers. I think the business model is pretty transparent and I really don't see any problem with it.

100% of the money from the article program goes to the article writers and editors, which is then used to hire more writers, which is then used to improve the program, which is then used to get more booster packs from TCGplayer because we're giving them more exposure, which is then used to award YOU. It's literally an endless cycle to support and enrich the community. Everything we do is for you.

I don't like defending an admin on their own site - WPM is a big boy, he can take care of himself - but this really does seem like a profitable situation for everyone, to be quite honest.

1. Players are getting pretty good return on investment if they do well enough. There might be some griping if you're someone who normally buys a lot of packs of each set anyways in that the prizes will represent redundancy for you, but if you're in that boat, it's just a fact this won't appeal to you - doesn't mean it won't affect you either.

2. TCGplayer is likely making the most profit of all of this, to be honest, as they deal with cards in bulk so giving away packs are prizes is going to be a lot cheaper than having to give away cash rewards. Having said that, they're primarily banking on most prize winners being in the US. e.g. I'm located in Australia and if I enrolled and won, they can afford to take a big hit on shipping once in a while, but if all the top winners were costing extra shipping, you probably would've seen this program shut down.

3. I am not going to have the nerve to suggest WPM is actually making money when he just said he's not, but if he wanted to be more transparent (bear in mind he has no obligation to be as such to you, though) he easily could have explained if he is actually making profit, he's probably using it to offset web hosting costs. It is obviously a huge difference in scale but the example of the admin of the website 4chan going into debt for >10 years straight to keep the site up illustrates
- web hosting is expensive for popular sites. Pokebeach is relatively well-known. e.g. it got huge traffic during S/M video game leaks and pretty steady traffic otherwise.
- Google Ads is becoming steadily less lucrative for site admins. Unfortunately, Google Ads also successfully drove out most of the competition so it is what it is.
- My experience with the Pokemon community is everyone is always worried about being ripped off. Unless they're willing to do it for exposure, WPM is probably paying his guest writers a more than fair rate just to avoid any conflicts. This might be read sarcastically by some of the folks who do write articles and aren't happy with their comp, but consider a. where else you might get paid, at all, to write articles about the PTCG, and b. consider it from WPM's situation. It's a bit unusual for him to be paying guest writers at a time he's barely breaking even himself. Certainly a long-term gamble/investment, but I emphasize gamble there. No guarantee it pays off in the long term.

Quite honestly, cheers for the success of this program as it's a win/win/win and a product of a pretty entrepreneuring spirit.

Back