Anime :(

Parasect 0_o

*Insert Witty Coment Here*
Hi guys! Well, I'll get straight to buisness - Recently I was watching Pokemon Kanto and Johto Series Anime. Well, straight up we noticed that the anime is much better produced - it may be really old but seriously - it is much better quality and it looks like they took alot more care drawing up the anime. If only they did that to the rest of Gen 4 and onwards I bet that they would have many more viewers.

I myself might even start watching again - I stopped watching at Hoenn Battle Frontier - it was unbearable. If they took more love and care then it would be awesome

Parasect~~~

The majority of Anime these days have more High Definition with the Animation than they did back several years ago with the rich quality. Though sometimes HD doesn't always make things better, it's not that bad but it's not good either.

WYSIWYG...

It's not going to HD that makes it look so different. The major change you see in Kanto/most of Johto episodes vs new ones is the use of digital paint instead of having hand-drawn and painted cells. That doesn't always reflect on a change in quality though. Some cell-painted episodes around Master Quest or so they got noticeably more lazy; reducing frames, more frequent awkward drawings, etc. It just depends on the budget and amount of effort they are willing to put in. I haven't really seen many new episodes at all so I can't tell you if I think they're trying harder than they did at Johto's low points, but I sure hope they are.

I really liked the type of colors anime could get using the old method, newer anime looks less "organic" to me typically, but that's just my preference. Some digital animation does a good job keeping the colors pretty nice regardless of the change, like FLCL.

That's probably why people complain about Anime not being as good as the Manga material because the Anime has become less "organic" where as the Manga has more detail in terms of the drawings and illustrations.

I don't think Manga hasn't changed as much as Anime has, sure there's some computer generated shading imagery here and there I mainly see this while reading Bleach.

However most Manga usually stick to the old fashioned way which would be nice If Anime went back to that, due to CGI and computer technology it seems designers are just too lazy and they aren't working as hard as they did back in the early 2000's, 90's, and 80's.

So far, the only episode in which they actually tried was the one where Ash gets curb-stomped by Paul in a 2 Part episode.

And that's only at the very end.

You know, I think people criticize the anime a bit unjustly nowadays. If you actually pay attention to the amount of detail in a single frame, it's almost like looking at a portrait its so richly detailed and well animated (as opposed to the first few seasons, which actually looked worse than the same generic American animation style you see in almost all cartoons Stateside). Granted, the storylines still suck, but that's just typical of all Japanese shows, i.e. they really don't make much sense outside of Japan...

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
Granted, the storylines still suck, but that's just typical of all Japanese shows, i.e. they really don't make much sense outside of Japan...
That's a wacky assumption there, hombré!

And the animation for most of the filler episodes is rather poor compared to a great deal of animé. The criticism it garners is not unjust, needless to say.

Zenith said:
That's a wacky assumption there, hombré!

Hmm... How is that a wacky assumption? I mean, if you actually pay attention to the events that actually take place in most anime, very little of it has to do with a central plot of an episode as opposed to just being a random string of events that lead to some inevitable conclusion. For instance, Ash and company are supposed to travel from town to town, fighting other trainers, collecting Pokemon, and such, but surprisingly very little of has ever taken place at any point in the anime, the key episodes and fillers alike. Instead, from the very beginning, they've always seemed to get into a random set of misadventures that almost never make any sense at all as to why they would've in the first place if they were supposed to be doing their own stuff. And the same can be said of shows like Naruto, Inuyasha, Dragonball, Yu-gi-oh!, and pretty much all of the contemporary and modern anime out there to date. And the sad thing is, that most of them look really amazing, especially when compared to some of the older stuff like Speed Racer or Astroboy or even stuff of the 1990s/early 2000s; however, looking good doesn't always make up for overall poor story quality, hence why I say either I'm missing something or the Japanese have a really weird sense of story-telling...and, quite frankly, I'm pretty sure it's latter...

Well personally, whether or not if they do have some questionable story telling skills, I don't think it's a stretch to say that no one has seen better than the plots of the pokemon series. One series in particular (scryed) has every episode strictly continuing a story line. It might not be the best out there, but suggesting that all japanese cartoons are episodic in nature is a huge stretch. A lot of them are, yes, but not every single one.

Also, for what Zenith quoted, thats not entirely true either. Various plots in Japanese cartoons do make sense for the most part. The problem is you don't know what's going on unless you watch the first episode. It's quite difficult to get into most series right in the middle of it because there could be various plot points that you missed earlier on that could be crucial to understanding the development of the plot later on in the series. Gundam Wing being an example as the story is convoluted at best (it doesn't help that villains are introduced prematurely throughout the series, replacing the last set, rinse and repeat.). The basic assumption is that you know there is a war going on. But for what? Total Pacifism? Because White Fang wants to use a weapon to destroy the earth? (I've watched all the episodes in 3 nights and I still have no clue as to what was going). Scryed's story is easier to understand and get into, however. But like I said, you won't know completely well until you've watched earlier episodes. There's also Detective Conan as well and Lupin the Third with pretty simple plots to figure out as well (kid detective who was once an older person and the other is a criminal mastermind being pursued by a detective himself).

The pokemon series has better detailed "stills" than earlier episodes, but other than the two part Paul battle, the animation is more so static than anything else. And suggesting that other shows also have bad plots doesn't really excuse it any. If you were in a business and your competition was putting out crud as products to be sold, do you just say "hey will do even less effort than those guys"?

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
Hmm... How is that a wacky assumption? I mean, if you actually pay attention to the events that actually take place in most anime, very little of it has to do with a central plot of an episode as opposed to just being a random string of events that lead to some inevitable conclusion. For instance, Ash and company are supposed to travel from town to town, fighting other trainers, collecting Pokemon, and such, but surprisingly very little of has ever taken place at any point in the anime, the key episodes and fillers alike. Instead, from the very beginning, they've always seemed to get into a random set of misadventures that almost never make any sense at all as to why they would've in the first place if they were supposed to be doing their own stuff. And the same can be said of shows like Naruto, Inuyasha, Dragonball, Yu-gi-oh!, and pretty much all of the contemporary and modern anime out there to date. And the sad thing is, that most of them look really amazing, especially when compared to some of the older stuff like Speed Racer or Astroboy or even stuff of the 1990s/early 2000s; however, looking good doesn't always make up for overall poor story quality, hence why I say either I'm missing something or the Japanese have a really weird sense of story-telling...and, quite frankly, I'm pretty sure it's latter...
Two solutions:

1. Watch better anime (rather than Pokemon, InuYasha, Naruto, etc), or watch anime that makes sense (rather than Tsubasa, FLCL/Fooly Cooly).
2. Grow a brain and try to figure it out.

There's been very little anime that I haven't been able to understand; most anime I watch I can figure out after a short amount of time (like Kaiba) or after a repeat viewing (Serial Experiments Lain)

Additionally, it's a wacky assumption because it was an assumption (along the lines of "all rap is mindless" or "all people from Tennessee are rednecks), and I found it wacky.

Finally, don't be dissin' the Astro Boy. God of manga at his finest.

Back