Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

I really want to try Sceptile/Lugia/Vileplume now. Sceptile will accelerate Lugia and keep it healthy in the inevitable Lugia wars, while Vileplume provides the wonderful utility of item lock. Probably throw in a few Shaymin as draw support and it looks pretty good.
I would question your ability to get two grass energy consistently through lock, as it appears you must attach energy to heal damage.

:D:D:D Ha ha ha... poison whenever u want without hypnotoxic laser.... Ha ha ha without worrying about having virizion... Ha ha ha two energy 170 damage for regular sceptile ... Evolve in turn 1... What else?

I like this for different reasons. first is that ariados is one of my favorite bug or poison types. second is that, in terms of game play, this works like a reusable golbat to the active. Even without virbank, just saying i'm going to be able to do 20 more damage( including if their pokemon stays in). Just to give you nightmares tonight, just imagine ariados, vileplume, dragalge, and simisage.

I really want to try Sceptile/Lugia/Vileplume now. Sceptile will accelerate Lugia and keep it healthy in the inevitable Lugia wars, while Vileplume provides the wonderful utility of item lock. Probably throw in a few Shaymin as draw support and it looks pretty good.

We had Mewtwo-EX wars because the card was Psychic Weak; we had Yveltal-EX wars because at first it had Item based Energy acceleration, and always had a way to shunt Energy off itself while hitting for 90 (allowing a Double Colorless Energy to move to the next Yveltal-EX). Why are we having Lugia-EX wars?

The following is not directed at Professor Palutena but in general:

Ariados opens up interesting possibilities and does help Machamp-EX. How much? I don't know. I do know we need to keep rotation in mind while discussing options, unless you simply mean for Expanded.

All of the love for grass (and bug) types in this set makes me wonder if, perhaps, Vaporeon will make an appearance, and if so, will have some kind of ability that changes your opponent's active Pokemon to its own type, water (e.g. soak from the video game). Not a big step, but a way to mess up a few strategies. Of course, it's usually weak to grass, so not really great. Ok, maybe Flareon then?

Ariados opens up interesting possibilities and does help Machamp-EX. How much? I don't know. I do know we need to keep rotation in mind while discussing options, unless you simply mean for Expanded.

This ariados help machamp out immensely. His second attack will do 160 damage + psn for FFC energy. add in whatever boost you want from furious fist and you have an OHKO combo for relatively few cards and low energy cost.

Well as it's been said, the three Eeveelutions are generally kept pretty well together. It wouldn't surprise me to see both a Flareon and a Vaporeon that adds their respective types to other cards. Hey, if they make the Flareon it might be the only way that Primal Groudon EX adds fire to it's typing.

Really I'd like to see one for each of the Eeveelutions, but that's just me.

Oh, yeah. That's right. Darn.

Of course the whole thing isn't even relevant until we learn rather or not there is even a Flareon with that ability.

This ariados help machamp out immensely. His second attack will do 160 damage + psn for FFC energy. add in whatever boost you want from furious fist and you have an OHKO combo for relatively few cards and low energy cost.

Except that is not a relatively few card. You have

1. Basic Pokémon-EX (Machamp-EX), worth two Prizes when KOed.
  2. New Ariados (Stage 1)
  3. Three Energy!
The Fighting-Type has a little Energy acceleration but not much and so far the only one that kind of works is Landorus (FFI), which actually has to attack twice to really "accelerate" (since you need to attach a [F] Energy to Landorus for it to attack and attach Energy from the discard pile). Machamp-EX doesn't have Ω Barrier, does it? That is a major reason why Landorus was able to work with Primal Groudon-EX and why Primal Groudon-EX has worked in general; once it Mega Evolves it is hard to force Active prematurely.

The new Ariados does help with the big problem of triggering the effect clause of the second attack without your opponent's help but for all you invest it still takes three turns to get going for that 160 plus Poison, which leaves you with a target that now has 170 HP (10 lost to Poison between turns) and three Energy attached to it (feeding attacks like Evil Ball and Aero Ball).

Well as it's been said, the three Eeveelutions are generally kept pretty well together. It wouldn't surprise me to see both a Flareon and a Vaporeon that adds their respective types to other cards. Hey, if they make the Flareon it might be the only way that Primal Groudon EX adds fire to it's typing.

Really I'd like to see one for each of the Eeveelutions, but that's just me.

Having all the Eeveelutions add their typing to Stage 1s makes for a really interesting meta game.

Also, I'm not sure that Megas counts as Stage 1 Pokemon (they're not refered to as "Stage 1", but "Mega".

Except that is not a relatively few card. You have

1. Basic Pokémon-EX (Machamp-EX), worth two Prizes when KOed.
  2. New Ariados (Stage 1)
  3. Three Energy!
The Fighting-Type has a little Energy acceleration but not much and so far the only one that kind of works is Landorus (FFI), which actually has to attack twice to really "accelerate" (since you need to attach a [F] Energy to Landorus for it to attack and attach Energy from the discard pile). Machamp-EX doesn't have Ω Barrier, does it? That is a major reason why Landorus was able to work with Primal Groudon-EX and why Primal Groudon-EX has worked in general; once it Mega Evolves it is hard to force Active prematurely.

The new Ariados does help with the big problem of triggering the effect clause of the second attack without your opponent's help but for all you invest it still takes three turns to get going for that 160 plus Poison, which leaves you with a target that now has 170 HP (10 lost to Poison between turns) and three Energy attached to it (feeding attacks like Evil Ball and Aero Ball).

Machamps attack removes any special conditions after attacking, so no health lost to poison.

If 3 energy is a lot now a days( I haven't played competitively this season) then another fun combo could be this guy and flash fire dragale, and beedrill from primal clash. Although that seems like it would be tricky to pull off

Hi, peeps!

I am definitely not a fan of Gen III or its Pokémon...but Sceptile is my favorite out of the three starters, so I am pretty excited for this card. It has amazing artwork, as all cards these days do,and it looks pretty decent attack-wise.

is that what happened with FFI?

If I remember correctly, yes: though the PTCGO was a slight exception since (as usual) it gets the new set added to Standard around its release date, so on there you had FFI mixing in with older cards that are now only available alongside it in Expanded.

Back