Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

I really like Full Art Machamp, Full Art Tyranitar and the Full Art Mega Tyanitar and Full Art Mega Septile.

Regular Full Art Sceptile is a lot disappointing and maybe my least favorite artwork in the set. Not sure what happened but I think it's the weird blue background. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Also mad there's no full art supporters.

amazing full art I have to say right now my favorite is machamp. Also secret rares look nice, I don't see energy retrieval seeing play all that much but hey with trmp card out of the format who knows.

I like the concept of the Eeveelutions in this set. I see them limited to a supporting role however, since their attacks aren't very good, but being able to "transfer" their types to other Stage 1s will give them a wide pool of weaknesses to exploit. Their actual utility will be limited to how popular Pokemon weak to Fire, Lightning, and Water will be, but they will combo well with Raichu XY or any other efficient Stage 1 attacker. Vespiqueen from this set also has a lot of potential, being an effective reprint of Flareon PLF. Combined with the Eeeveelutions, I can have up to four types. Pretty scary indeed. And all of these guys can be searched out with the reprinted Level Ball. Non-EX decks seem to gain a lot from this set.

Last edited:
I'm really satisfied with the amount of Pokemon that has another typing than their usual tcg typing, I think it was about time we got another Fighting Wooper/Quagsire and Golurk, and a Fairy Cottonee/Whimsicott!
Also I'm glad that we got a few more Gen. 6 Pokemon than usual, and that Inkay is adorable :3

Is the non-Ancient Trait Vespiquen going to be the new Flareon?
Can be, though I still think Flareon is better. You can play both first round, with the same attack for the same energy. Flareon has 10 more HP, a better second attack, but a retreat cost that Vespiquen doesn't have.

You guys know me with my Set Reviewing habit. I'm prepped to do it, but since thre are still a few cards that haven't been fully translated yet, I'm going to wait. All I have to say is this: Flareon is back.

Machamp + Aridos, why did it take me so long to think of that. 170 damage for [F][F][C] basically.

I like the set alot of intersesting cards i done think theres gonna be full arts supporters because there is alot of UR cards loke all Fa exs the gold trainers and gold megas (which i hope more return) the sets decent though mega amphorus, sceptile/mega sceptile mega t tar, vileplume,lugia ex , giratina ex, hoopa ex, vespiquen with eevee evolutions all playable cards

At least in the English set we may get FA Steven, as one was released in Japan and we have yet to get it in English sets

Also, energy recycle

Vespiqueen's gonna try to be the new Flareon.

Giratina EX's Ability is interesting. Well my Steel deck can get past it.

Regice's attack seems cool. I would like a deck built with him in mind and it works.

The Stadium that places 2 damage counters on each Mega is interesting. I hope it doesn't become too OP. Megas are awesome and plus they're evolutions people. Stop whining.

Last edited:
At least in the English set we may get FA Steven, as one was released in Japan and we have yet to get it in English sets

Also, energy recycle
Yeah, but what do we lose to get FA Steven, on top of whatever other cards they'll drop from the English set to add some crappy Japanese promos (most likely the Chespin and Snorlax)? I hate FAs anyways so I'm fine if it doesn't see the light of day.

Yeah, but what do we lose to get FA Steven, on top of whatever other cards they'll drop from the English set to add some crappy Japanese promos (most likely the Chespin and Snorlax)? I hate FAs anyways so I'm fine if it doesn't see the light of day.
Why would they drop any cards from Bandit Ring? They've always just added the extra cards to the set.

Q
Uh, they wont drop anything. The English sets are always the Japanese Set + some promos from Japan. We don't 'lose' any cards, only gain some sub optimal ones. English sets never get exclusive cards

It's been a while since we last saw Wooper/Quagsire as ground types, it's kind of refreshing. On that note I'm also glad that Cottonee and Whimsicott are actually fairy type Pokémon.

Did we really need another Inkay/Malamar line to be dark type? Why not choose psychic for a change? I guess it pairs alright with the recent release of AT Malamar in Japan that will come in 3 pack blisters of Ancient Origins.

A bit odd to see Virizion without Cobalion or Terrakion, even Keldeo to an extent. Also odd to see Entei without Suicune or Raikou. Of course we had Articuno and Zapdos without Moltres in Roaring Skies so...I guess a pairing or trio or whatever just doesn't mean anything after all :) :(

Those who said Flareon an Vaporeon were going to be like Jolteon called it. Now we just need that for Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon and Syleon. Glaceon would unfortunantley be a basically unneeded redundancy.

I like the FA's. The fact Kyurem and Lugia look really good almost makes up for the idea that we didn't really need them in the first place compared to others like Suicune.

Sigh, golden trainers. I never understood why we get those.

An amazing set and that FA Kyurem EX is one of the best looking cards to date (not to mention on my favorite legendary Pokemon). So I would absolutely love to do a card-by-card review of this set but we don't have all of the translations yet due to blurriness so I'm going to hold off for the time being.

Artwork wise this set looks incredible, a definite up in quality from previous sets.

Oh wow...Giratina EX is really good. Seems like there is some mega evolution hate with the stadium and Giratina EX.

Gold Trainer's mail?! Wallet come back!

So much to take in. I think I'm gonna be rocking a seriously fun psychic damage spread deck with some of the stuff here, maybe gyarados, bats and that claydol so when you have enough damage on their evolved pokemon you just throw claydol out and you devolve their bench and knock out all their basics in one attack. Or just claydol into startling megaphone to mess up mega decks for the lulz.

Also that ability gyarados art. <3

I think Kuyrem will be a big player, so will lugia obviously, and that giratina ex is gonna make some seriously nasty tier one fairy toolbox decks. The right Tool box deck could counter almost anything now.

I'm also loving the paint roller. Disruption at it's finest.

Back