Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

The amount of people who think Golurk would still take that damage concerns me.

Edit: On a related note - It pleases me to see them do something with resistance in this set. One of my major complaints is I feel they don't utilize it on a lot of their cards like they should.

My only complaint is that it is taking up an Ability; they nearly had the dual-Type mechanic sorted out during the EX-series of sets, but they abandoned it for I-don't- know-why reasons. The obvious would be complexity but honestly, they had it to a point where it was pretty easy to understand (and if not, one or two more tweaks and it would have been).

Golurk looks to have significant promise, but the obvious hurdle is the Energy cost: [CCCC] is not small, and even if you use Dimension Valley, [CCC] is not a whole lot better. It hasn't come up in a while (or if it did I missed it =P) but self-damage applies Resistance unless specifically stated otherwise, so while its Ability is in effect, it won't have to worry about its self-damage. We also already saw the new Jolteon. With that combo, Golurk could hit three different Types for Weakness, meaning

• Virtually all Colorless-Types
  • Virtually all Darkness-Types
  • A significant majority of Psychic-Types
could be slammed for 240 points of damage, even without any other boosting effects not inherent to the attack and exploiting Weakness.

THIS will be the meaning of being Lightning (with Jolteon), Fighting and Psychic. Golurk can hit for Weakness:
  • All Colorless and Lightning Types (It's Fighting and Lightning)
  • All Darkness Types (except Sableye or Spiritomb)
  • A significant majority of Psychic Types

The Greninja card is definitely good.

40 for 1 with a Crushing Hammer effect is okay for friendly play, but it's not taking Knock Outs at all. Tierno is just a reprint of Cheren. The same goes for Catcher and Hammer.
The nice thing about other Theme Decks is that each one at least comes with a few cards that are decent so you have them on hand if you ever get into that kind of thing (Aromatisse XY, Blastoise BCR, Machamp FUF), but the Kalos Starter Kits are only good for friendly.

Surprised no one has brought up Strong Energy with this guy

I think a few people already mentioned Fighting boosts, myself included, but it's not like it's something to get upset over.

since it's a Psychic type, you can use Dimension valley to make it more palateable.

3 Energy is still quite a lot if you don't decide to go with some kind of Acceleration, so it seems like Fighting Stadium is the better choice with Golurk since the 1 extra Energy isn't too bad with Bronzong. If anything, maybe a split Stadium line with 2 Fighting and 1 Dimension would be the optimal choice.

Slightly off topic - and sorry if someone has mentioned it - but I wonder if there will be an ancient trait Persian (maybe promo). I say that because there is a (promo) ancient trait Malamar, and I'm connecting that back to Roaring Skies where you find both evolution-less Inkay and Meowth. A far-out theory I had is that perhaps the Roaring Skies Inkay was there to support AT Malamar for next year's rotation - which I assume will be Primal Clash onward (just speculation), which would potentially eliminate the XY Inkays from standard play. If that's the rotation, it will also mean you won't be able to pair AT Malamar with Malamar EX or Furious Fists Victreebel. I am getting way far ahead of myself, I know.

That also makes me wonder - how does rotation work with promos?

Otaku, you're right. It was more interesting in the EX set, like with the Hidden Legends Metagross and Jirachi, where they were considered psychic and steel. It left room for another ability and what not. Add in that Golurk gets an AT on top of it and if it weren't for the fact it's a half art card it would look pretty crammed up.

I'd like to see it done that way too, made for slightly more interesting templates. They could have turned around and maybe give those Pokémon two weaknesses, one for each of the types (like dark and fire for Metagross) and maybe a resistance of some kind.

I too would actually like to see resistances used more. Every Pokémon resists something in the video game, and it could be easy to do that for every Pokémon in the card game.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with promos they say promo number X-Y (insert numbers here) are also rotated out unless they have a later printed copy of them. So for example let's say that the next format is Legendary Treasures and up. Since Legendary Treasures gave repeats of certain Pokémon, those earlier cards should still be good too since they are the same Pokémon, same attacks, same stats, different art. Like for example all of the Outrage Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem would still be legal because they had reprints in Legendary Treasures but Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX and Next Destinies Kyurem EX would not be legal.

Interesting card. A cool thing to note is that it only takes colorless so it makes it kind of splash able. It needs 4 energy though and I wouldn't waste 2 DCE's on it.

I'm going to rate this card and express some of my thoughts on it.

Artwork: I love it, kawayoo is incredible and has made some very fun card artworks (aka Trubbish and Phione from LGT). kawayoo isn't a stranger to half-arts either having done Ludicolo PRC-37 but the significant number of light blings surrounding Golurk is cumbersome and distracts away from the action Golurk is involved in, which seems to be punching with one fist and wanting to punch with its left arm but hasn't quite completed the fist yet. 9/10

Card text: So this guy is in a weird place. Without knowing what else is coming from Ancient Origins this guy can either be a slow rogue powerhouse or a splashable tech against Psychic, Dark and Colorless (even more so if paired with the new Jolteon. Building a deck around him is simple enough with a lot of psychic and fighting type staple cards that Golurk can utilize but that deck may simply get outpaced by the rest of the format. Even "slower" decks like P-Groudon will see more use due to having a better AT for set-up and stalling. I can definitely see Golurk being used as a poor-mans P-Groudon if that deck ever becomes too expensive. 7/10

Overall, Love the artwork, the card is interesting and I'm intrigued on how people will utilize it in the upcoming format. 8/10 would bang.

Otaku, you're right. It was more interesting in the EX set, like with the Hidden Legends Metagross and Jirachi, where they were considered psychic and steel. It left room for another ability and what not. Add in that Golurk gets an AT on top of it and if it weren't for the fact it's a half art card it would look pretty crammed up.

I'd like to see it done that way too, made for slightly more interesting templates. They could have turned around and maybe give those Pokémon two weaknesses, one for each of the types (like dark and fire for Metagross) and maybe a resistance of some kind.

I too would actually like to see resistances used more. Every Pokémon resists something in the video game, and it could be easy to do that for every Pokémon in the card game.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with promos they say promo number X-Y (insert numbers here) are also rotated out unless they have a later printed copy of them. So for example let's say that the next format is Legendary Treasures and up. Since Legendary Treasures gave repeats of certain Pokémon, those earlier cards should still be good too since they are the same Pokémon, same attacks, same stats, different art. Like for example all of the Outrage Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem would still be legal because they had reprints in Legendary Treasures but Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX and Next Destinies Kyurem EX would not be legal.
It would have been a really good example, but all of the cards you said were reprinted in Legendary Treasures
The promo thing does stand though. I believe the only reason N is still in this years format is because of a promo card (BW100) literally being the only thing past the cut off point (Bw79 last year, I believe), as Dark Explorers, the last thing N was in before that, had already finished.

It would have been a really good example, but all of the cards you said were reprinted in Legendary Treasures
The promo thing does stand though. I believe the only reason N is still in this years format is because of a promo card (BW100) literally being the only thing past the cut off point (Bw79 last year, I believe), as Dark Explorers, the last thing N was in before that, had already finished.

The current rotation is BW51 onwards

Do you think Togekiss Ex and Emboar Ex will be in the English set as well? Would be logical, wouldn't it?

My ideas/predictions for this set:
- Bellossom (due to Vileplume being in the set)
- Guess Virizion means the other members of Swords Of Justice are in the set.
- I think Hoopa (Confined) will appear (possible also Ex)
- If Celebi promo and Lugia Ex are in the set. Why not Ho-oh as well? And that opens doors (or Hoopa Rings) for the Legendary Dogs as well. Especially since they appear in ORAS.
- I hope Mega Ampharos and Mega Sceptile will come in two versions.
- I still think the Metagross and Regirock cards in the promo material are dummies or placeholders. They can do better with the art work.

The cards between (...) are guesses, thoughts)
ODDISH
GLOOM
VILEPLUME
(BELLOSSOM)
(CELEBI)
SCEPTILE EX
M SCEPTILE EX
(LEAFEON)
COTTONEE
WHIMSICOTT
VIRIZION (12)
(FLAREON)
(HO-OH)
EMBOAR EX
(VAPOREON)
REGICE
(GLACEON)
KYUREM EX (25)
(KELDEO)
JOLTEON
AMPHAROS EX
M AMPHAROS EX
(ESPEON)
UNOWN (30)
(HOOPA EX) (35)
HOOPA EX (36)
MACHAMP EX (37)
REGIROCK
(TERRAKION)
(UMBREON)
TYRANITAR EX
M TYRANITAR EX
(SABLEYE)
BELDUM
METANG
METAGROSS
REGISTEEL
(COBALION)
RALTS
KIRLIA
GARDEVOIR
TOGEKISS EX
(SYLVEON)
(M AMPHAROS EX)
(M SCEPTILE EX)
EEVEE
LUGIA EX (68)
(REGIGIGAS)
ACE TRAINER (76)
AMPHAROS SPIRIT LINK
PAINT ROLLER
SCEPTILE SPIRIT LINK
TYRANITAR SPIRIT LINK

The problem is TPCi have already confirmed Ancient Origins to have 11 EX Pokemon. We already have 10 announced, which would only leave room for one of them. We'll probably see the other in a tin

I have noticed that this Golurk might just be the most stadium-changeable card (though I admittedly have not actively tried to think of others). With one or 2 energies: Shrine of Memories, with 3: Dimension Valley, with 4: Fighting Stadium. I hope we'll see another AT in addition to theta stop (and many more with the set after it!).

Cooler66, I forgot that Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX, and Kyurem EX were reprinted in Legenedary Treasures.

The mixed cards aside, my point still stands. Because of they were in Legendary Treasures it makes the Next Destinies and original promos of Reshiram EX and Zekrom EX still legal.

Didn't notice that AT Golurk's requirements are all colorless. Depending on what Golett they make, it might make it very splashable in a lot decks.

This seems very cool. In combination with Wally, it will actually make Grass Stage 2's viable. Shiftry could become one of the top decks. It hits Seismitoad for weakness and can almost keep up with M-Rayquaza for damage output. And then it only gives up one prize. If we get a Mega Grass Pokemon with a Spirit Link, that card will be able to keep up with M-Rayquaza in speed.

Edit: Shiftry is able to keep up with M-Rayquaza for damage if it has a Muscle Band.

Last edited:
Back