• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Ambipom/Weavile/Cinno

Barkjon

What's up?
Ever since HGSS-on was announced, I've been wracking my brain (and my collection) for a lock deck to play. In the MD-on season I fell in love with Sablelock - a truly awesome deck I wish I could still play. I was really looking for a deck that resembled that, and the Ambipom/Weavile that topcutted there seemed perfect.

I started researching the deck and got the list he played. I had almost the whole list except for the Donphan Prime, so I kinda messed with the deck. I preferred to have more of attacking power, so I tried to combine Ambipom/Weavile with my Cinno/Zoroark, and this is what I got...

POKEMON (25):
3-3 Weavile UD
2-2 Slowking HGSS (UD Slowpoke)
3-3 Ambipom TR (TR Aipom)
2-2 Cinccino
1-1 Xatu
1-1 Zoroark
1 Bouffalant

T/S/S (22):

4 PONT
3 Juniper
3 Collector
4 Seeker
4 Communication
2 Dual Balls
2 Switch

ENERGY (13):
4 DCE
4 SP. Dark
2 Dark
1 Psy
2 Rescue

STRATEGY:
As you can see, this deck is prettttttyyyy rough right now. I'm relatively new to this deck, so the strategy isn't totally perfected yet.

The focus of this deck is to disrupt your opponent to the point where they have nothing good in their hand and almost nothing on the field, and then sweep with Cinccino. Weavile is extremely important here. His "Claw Snag" Poke-Power let's you discard a card from your opponents hand. Extremely valuable to get rid of an important card in their hand. On top of this is Ambipom. His first attack does little damage but has an amazing effect of getting rid of 2 of your opponent's cards. In addition to these two Pokemon, Slowking can both speed yourself up or lock your opponent via it's poke-power.

If you get those 3 Pokemon out early, your opponent will (hopefully) be locked down, so you can bring out Cinccino. This is a valuable attacker, that will often hit for between 80 and 100 damage. Considering that your opponent is already locked down, that will often OHKO your opponent. Ambipom is also used as an attacker, and Weavile can be used to snipe babies on your opponents bench.

Additionally, you have Xatu, Zoroark, and Bouffalant. Xatu is an awesome card that directly counters Machamp Prime - a fully-loaded Champ is one-shotted by Xatu. Zoroark is used to (occasionally) set yourself up, but generally used to OHKO Zekrom or Reshiram via it's Foul Play attack and a sp. dark energy. Pretty awesome. Bouffalant can also revenge kill most Pokemon and can OHKO RDL.

The T/S/S line is mainly directed towards consistency and speed.

The Energy line is pretty obvious.

Anyways, please help!

This looks pretty solid, but the pokemon count is a bit high. I think you can get away with that though. The only kinda big problem I've found is that you only have 1 psychic energy to power xatu. This means you will often not get it, it will be prized often giving you a loss, and you may be forced to discard it with your own juniper or something. For example, you are facing donchamp and got a hand with a bunch of basics. The opponent got a donphan and a machamp set up due to your poor hand and wiped out most of your basics. Right now you have ambipom active with a lone sneasel on the bench. Your hand is psychic energy and juniper. In a situation like that, you are going to juniper. So, I think you need a way to get more psychic energy in there if you are using it. Maybe lower the weavile count to 2-2 and add 2 psychic energy?

You need the 4-4 Weavile in this deck. Being a fellow player of it, it's the one line (along with the 2-2 slowking) that you cannot mess with whatsoever. Also, I've tried it with Cinccino, and it really doesn't work. To tell you the truth, the better heavy hitting attacker in this deck is Tornadus which is coming out in our next set, Emerging Powers. More HP, better weakness, and can be a needed Donphan counter. So drop the Cinccino for a 1-1 Weavile and 2 Tornadus (you can go with one, but I perfer two).

Also, the original list used Rainbow energy, and since you're using Xatu, dropping the psychic and the basic dark for 3 rainbow (try for 4 if you'd like).

@Tyraniking: UD Slowpoke, TR Aipom. I added them to the first post. In the future, please edit them in yourself. Thanks again.

@Dark Void: I'm going to try removing a basic dark for a second Psychic.

@ashinto: I'd play 4-4 Weavile, but I don't have the last 1-1 line and I want to make the deck a bit more about attacking. I actually quite like Cinno in here - moreso even the Tornadus. I think Cinno's attack is better, personally, and this deck fills up the bench extremely quick. However, I'll probably put the original 1-1 Phan in here if I get it.

When you finally get the final 1-1 line of Weavile, put it in immediately, you need it. Also, don't dismiss using Sneasel as an attacker mid-late game. While it seems extremely unconventional, if you're playing the deck right they shouldn't have that many heavy hitters out and you're going to only need to flip a couple heads with Beat Up.

- 2-2 cincinno
+ 1-1 ambipom
+1-1 weavile
There is a reason the deck is called Monkeys and Weasels. You NEED to focus heavily on the monkeys and weasels. without 4-4 weavile you will not be able to keep constant hand disruption.

Back