Alternate Pokemon Typings

Yep, that was on the list I made. That would be cool, but as far as I'm concerned that would have to be a holo card.

What do you think that could come as fighting types in this new format? I was hoping armaldo, but i realized it is already fighting

Honestly at least imo I see very little new Pokemon coming out as fighting anytime soon. Pangoro is the best bet, and only because of Japan having one that we haven't gotten yet. It could still not happen in Primal Clash as it took four sets before we got fairy Dedenne which was in turn a promo in Japan when their XY set came out. Plus to do that they'd have to put in another Pancham which is avaliable but that doesn''t mean it will happen either. To date we have no proof of a fighting Chestnaught (which would probably need another Chespin and Quilladan) and that is the only other new one I can see coming, and only because of dark Greninja's existence, note that no Froakie and Frogadier accompanied this release though due to its promo status.

Pikachu6319 there's a few small mistakes with your list:

- The Chimecho line is Psychic only
- The Aggron line did get Fighting type cards in Ex Magma vs Aqua
- Skuntank (only) appeared as a Psychic type in Platinum

Other than that I pretty much agree with you.

Chimecho is only psychic, I don't know why I thought it was flying. Your quiet correct.

I did space out the Aggron line, but Aggron was actually fighting/dark which doesn't exist for Aggron outside of that set. Also, I would prefer a general line rather than an owner's Pokemon line. Still at the core I suppose that could exclude this line from this list.

I did space out about Skuntank too, but as I said above I would prefer a general one, plus as you said it didn't have Stunky.

Don't forget Omanyte and Kabuto, as the TCG incorrectly depicts them as pure Water and pure Rock respectively, when BOTH of them are Rock/Water.

Neo Discovery relesaed the only water lineup of Kabuto/Kabutops and fighting (rock) versions of Omanyte/Omastar. This was like the 8th set in the Pokemon back when Wizards ran it though. Oh and Sandstorm also had a water Kabutops in ex form.

http://pokebeach.com/tcg/ex-sandstorm/kabutops_ex
http://pokebeach.com/tcg/neo-discovery/kabutops
http://pokebeach.com/tcg/neo-discovery/omastar
http://pokebeach.com/tcg/neo-discovery/kabuto
http://pokebeach.com/tcg/neo-discovery/omanyte

Hopefully these links work. If not they can be accessed on the main page under the card scans.

I wouldn't hold your breath for most Flying-Types getting a Colorless card, and really, they shouldn't. Flying-Types (ignoring Rock, Ground, Ghost and Ice-Types) provide pretty much the only Weakness/Resistance variance in the XY era, especially valuable to Darkness and Lightning, who typically have Fighting weaknesses. There's only a handful of Flyings I'd say display their Flying traits more than their accompanying elemental type anyway. (Rayquaza and Noivern being the big ones.) Ignoring the Normal-Type ones, which are obviously Lightning-weak Colorless Pokemon in the first place.

Also, keep in mind being Colorless provides zero advantages. Mega Pinsir would be far, far better off as a Grass-Type weak to Lightning and resistant to Fighting than it would be as a Colorless, as nothing (in-format) (minus one exception) is weak to Colorless.

Oh I'm fully aware of that one, but one can always hope. Let's not forget though that occasionally it does happen. There was one colorless Ho-oh back in Neo Revelations. Lugia has been colorless almost as much as psychic.

Of course lets not forget that the only two Noiverns have not been flying type bur dragon and we haven't had a colorless Rayquaza since dragon types were created. We should also note that despite being a dragon type itself Noibat has only been colorless, never dragon yet.

Pikachu6319 said:
Oh I'm fully aware of that one, but one can always hope. Let's not forget though that occasionally it does happen. There was one colorless Ho-oh back in Neo Revelations. Lugia has been colorless almost as much as psychic.

In fact, Lugia's even been Water Type now and then! Why? I don't even know... sob...

It probably has something to do with Lugia being found in the Gen 2 games in that one cave in the water.

That's true, Lugia was water type in HGSS series, including Lugia Legend. Still, the thing about that one is that when the Neo series came out the first Lugia in Genesis was colorless, the second in Revelations was psychic. That would stay that way until HGSS years later. That was a strange one, even if that was the reasoning. I think it was also mentioned possible as a counter the fire type Ho-oh.

No stranger than Torkoal being a fighting type in the Pop 1 (I think) set despite it only being a fire type.

Update for those who don't know, the new Trainer Kit should have a psychic Latios and psychic Latias. These are the first ones in american history and only the second time, as there were psychic type ones released in Pokepark file Green that never made it to America (neither did any of the cards from that set for that matter).

Double Crisis will also have a fighting Aggron. This is the first one ever (the one in EX Aqua Magma does not count as that was dual dark type) while we see another set of fighting Aron and Lairon here. I do however think it's too bad we've never had a regular line up of these cards.

One could say we're making progress. :)

Pikachu6319 said:
Update for those who don't know, the new Trainer Kit should have a psychic Latios and psychic Latias. These are the first ones in american history and only the second time, as there were psychic type ones released in Pokepark file Green that never made it to America (neither did any of the cards from that set for that matter).

Double Crisis will also have a fighting Aggron. This is the first one ever (the one in EX Aqua Magma does not count as that was dual dark type) while we see another set of fighting Aron and Lairon here. I do however think it's too bad we've never had a regular line up of these cards.

One could say we're making progress. :)

Yassssssss I'm very excited for those psychic Latias/Latios cards. As some people said before, I also hope Delta Species returns one day.

Yeah, those Latias/Latios psychic types have been a long time coming.

Almost as long, at least in my opinion, as an Aggron that doesn't have Team Magma in front of its name. This hasn't happened yet.

Interesting fact: Tentacool/Tentacruel is currently Pokemon who has waited the longest to get their alternate types done at sixteen years. Most likely only another Kanto Pokemon who still lacks an alternate type form will ever beat this record.

Update: A Tyrantrun EX dragon card. Now we need the a Tyrunt dragon card, a regular Tyrantrum wouldn't be bad either. It's a good counterpoint to our other alternates; The trainer kit will give us psychic Latios and Latias. Roaring Skies will give us colorless Skarmory, colorless Shaymin, fairy Togekiss line cards, Dragon Reshiram, and Dragon Zekrom as well as amazingly giving us both types for M. Rayquaza. One of the three pack blisters will FINALLY give us the fighting Pangoro that I think we should have gotten in Furious Fists.

Rivershock mentioned some cards are made 'typed' by their weakness. That is in fact true in some cases but not all:
Venusaur line was made 'poison' in Crystal Guardians by being psychic weak, with FRLG Venusaur EX also being 'poison' but no regular Venusaur..
Charizard was only made 'flying' in FRLG with it's EX being electric weakness but it's still just like base set Charizard, it seems more like an afterthought.
Butterfree has a few 'flying' ones through electric weakness.
Beedrill line though has never been psychic weak, always fire. That comes across as always bug, never poison type.
Crobat line has a few 'flying' by virtue of electric weakness.
Vileplume line has a few 'poison' typing by weakness. Of course as noted there were already purple bordered Oddish and Gloom anyway, making this one an oddity no matter how you want to slice it as far as I am concerned.
Venomoth line has never been psychic weak either, making it always bug and never poison.
Bellsprout had one psychic weak card in Aquapolis but Weepinbell and Victreebel have never been given psychic weakness so no poison typing.
Gyarados is interesting. It has some electric weak cards, but some are weak to grass. This has to be card mechanics because Gyarados is not weak to grass types like most water types are.
Ledyba has an electric weak card for 'flying', but Ledian does not.
Ariados has had a few 'poison' cards by psychic weakness.
Xatu line has a few electric weak cards for flying.
Jumpluff line is always weak to fire, never electric or water (ice) and has in fact been resistant to the type because of water itself. This makes it all fire and no flying.
Steelix has no 'ground' type even by weakness.
Qwilfish has no 'poison' type even be weakness. Like Gyarados it is weak to grass, I assume by game mechanic, even though poison typing prevents that in game.
Tyranitar has two EX's that are weak to grass which could also represent 'rock', much like Dark Tyranitar technically does.
Beautifly and Masquerain have a few lighting weak cards for 'flying' representation.
Still of course missing Ralts and Kirlia as fairy types, along with a regular Gardevoir.
Ninjask has a few lighting weak cards for 'flying' representation but every Nincada has no ground representation by weakness.
Aggron line has no ground representation even with just weakness, Team Magma variations not withstanding.
Camerupt line has no 'rock' representation and I can't count weakness here because both types are water weak.
Cradily EX is weak to water so this could be 'rock' representation but Lileep does not have this.
Tropius has a few electric weak cards for 'flying' though if Skarmory can be colorless I think Tropius should too.
Bastiodon has no cards that are water weak to represent 'rock'.
Mothim has no electric weak card to represent 'flying'.
Combee has an electric weak card to represent 'flying' but the only Vespequin to be electric weak is the SP version.
Drifblim line has no electric weak cards to represent 'flying'.
Yanmega has no electric weak card to represent 'flying' though Yanma does.
Gliscor has no card to represent 'flying' though since it can't be electric weak and water is approximated to ice there might not be another alternative without making it colorless.
Swoobat line does have electric weak cards to represent 'flying' as does Sigilyph.
Fletchinder/Talonflame will have water weak cards in Roaring Skies, all lines previously have been electric weak instead, this could serve as a 'distinction' between fire and flying.
Hawlucha is already electric weak to represent 'flying'.

The neat thing about this though is that at least certain things get representation this way that otherwise wouldn't happen. My prime thoughts here are the water/ice types like Lapras, Cloyster, Dewgong, and the Walrein line who each have one form of ice represented and one form of water represented. The only line for this for Walrein is in Power Keepers, with Walrein itself being an EX.

With Roaring Skies giving us some stuff that work specifically with colorless types, I think it would be nice to see cards like Tropius and Hawlucha follow in the same vein as the new Skarmory. For some reason I just really want to see the Aegislash line in purple border and definently want to see the Venusaur line purple bordered. I'd also like to see some of these 'halfies' get closed up, in other words we get a grass Phantump and dragon Tyrunt to follow up their 'evolved' forms getting their alternate types. I am hoping the Emboar EX in the Togetic EX vs. Emboar EX thing is a fighting type Pokémon, and being backed up a fighting type line of Emboar/Pignite would be great as well. And of course still pining for psychic Delphox and fighting Chestnaught.

What other ones would be great to see?

In all fairness we can't say that M. Ampharos won't be a dragon type the same with M. Sceptile. Except for Arceus and apparently Tyrunt so far all other dragons have been gold bordered.

I'd like to see fighting Virizion, fighting Keldeo, and even (by weakness if nothing else) fighting Terrakion.

*Edit* 1,000 post, yay!

Yes, I know. It comes out next week and I am looking forward to that one. Then the following week gives us our first dragon type Reshiram and Zekrom, a colorless Skarmory, fighting Pangoro as a promo, fairy Togekiss line, and colorless Shaymin. Even neater. I hope Bandit ring gives us at least a few alternative types.

Back