• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Alolan Ninetales GX (Post Rotation with Baby Alolan Ninetales)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
My take on how Alolan Ninetales might look in standard after September 1st. Burning Shadows gave her some new toys to play with including a non GX version which grants her full immunity to damage from EX and GX attacks. with Hex Maniac being rotated out, and no more VS Seeker, this card will be hard to deal with.

4 Alolan Vulpix (Beacon)
2 Alolan Ninetales (Ability)
3 Alolan Ninetales GX
1 Glaceon EX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Tapu Koko (Sm Promo 31)
2 Remoraid (Ion Pool)
2 Octillery
1 Sudowoodo (Roadblock)

3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Guzma
2 Brigette
2 Mallow

4 Ultra Ball
4 Aqua Patch
2 Brooklet Hill
3 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher

8 Basic Water Energy
4 Double colourless energy

I play 2 baby Alolan Ninetales, since I always want at least 1 in play at any time, and I don't know if one might be prized. This card is here solely for its ability to wall every EX and GX card in the format as well as being a one prize attacker. Alolan Ninetales GX is still my main attacker though and retains its 3 copy slot as it still does the most damage in the deck and it can heal itself using its GX attack. (i might go down to 2, if i find it less useful getting her out every game). Glaceon EX is there for non ex/ gx evolution cards. The only threats that springs to my mind atm is Garbodor with Trashalance, and a Metang using Core beam for 80 damage, double for weakness doing 160 damage for a ko. Glaceon EX comes in clutch here, by being able to prevent damage done to it by evolution pokemon cards, as long as it can use its Crystal Ray attack. Octillery is one of the best draw support Pokemon cards next to Uranguro, now that Shaymin EX is getting rotated, and has some nice Synergy with the Mallow supporter card by being able to draw into the cards you search for. Octillery also means that your never scared of an opponents N card, unless a Garbotoxin Garbodor is in play. Sudowoodo is just here to prevent the opponent playing more bench Pokemon and is searchable with Brooklet Hill.

for the trainers now, Guzma replaces Lysandre and gives me a nice escape rope effect.
Mallow is pretty standard in any deck that runs Octillery being able to grab any 2 cards from the deck, as long as my hand size is small enough after the mallow for Octillery's ability to work.
Brigette is great for turn 1 with Tapu Lele. even if you only have an ultra ball in your starting hand of 7, you can use it to grab Tapu Lele, search for Brigette and get your board set up nice and quick. with 2 i run a less risk of the card being prized.
I only play 3 sycamore, because with out VS seeker, if I discard important supporters in the early game i have no way of getting them back. besides that Octillery will be providing most of my draw power through out the games.
I'm still stumped with N atm. I'm playing the standard 3 still, but while its always been a good card, Burning shadows gave us Wicke. Wicke forces both players to count the cards in their hand, shuffle them away and both players draw that many cards that they counted. in combination with Octillery, this could be really good if you couldn't find the cards you needed, since you get a fresh 4 cards. but if your opponent has a huge hand size, this could be really bad, so i'm leaving it out for now.

With rough seas being rotated out, i'm left with using Brooklet hill for a stadium based water support card. But being able to also search for fighting types, tempts me into running a Marshadow GX, who could use a discarded Vulpix's Beacon attack for no energy or Glaceon Ex's Crystal Ray attack, but i'll leave that out for now.
Aqua Patch and ultra ball are pretty standard. search for any Pokemon and grab water energy from the discard pile.
The Bodybuilding Dumbbells is a new item that gives stage 1 Pokemon plus 40 hp. While plus 40 won't be enough to save you from most metal type Pokemon, it could let you survive potential ohkos, from cards like Garbodor (meaning they would need you to have 2 more items in the discard pile for a ko) and Tapu Bulu GX. Alolan Ninetales gets straight up 1hkoed by a Tapu Bulu holding choice band, and it being able to attack pretty much every turn (if the opponent is playing a Vikivolt build) means Alolan Ninetales has no chance to set up. However the Little Alolan Ninetales should still be able to wall this beast.
with 250 HP and 10 hp remaining, Alolan Ninetales GX's Ice Path GX attack can dish out 240 damage to an opponent and completely heal itself... OUCH!!!

Well that's my list for now. I'm really looking forward to using the little baby non GX version of Alolan Ninetales, as i think that card will be a game changer for most decks in the standard format. check in the below posts to see what cards iv'e edited from the list.

Last edited:
Metang is still an evolved Pokemon so baby Ninetales is still safe.
Dude, Ninetales is only immune to EX's/ GX's.

@DKQuagmire I was thinking about this deck, too, and although I haven't built it yet, I think my list would look like yours.However...

PCL, Kukui, and Mall-hoe are all one-of Supporters, so they'll lose a lot of playablity because of VS Seeker rotating. And even with Guzma, switching is still important, so Float Stones are also ideal. I also think 2 Field Blowers are necessary because of Garbotoxin and Float Stones. Garbodor is a bad matchup for Ninetales because Garbotoxin shuts off Safeguard and Octillery, and Necrozma's GX can be devistating because Rough Seas rotates. They also get rid of Dumbells, so, yeah...? I would also reccomend Espeon EX and possibly Sudowoodo because Sudo, which can be searched by Brooklet Hill, limits your opponents bench space, which will be pretty big post-rotation, due to not being able to bench that extra Lele for a needed supporter, letting your opponent Lele for Brigette, and not be able to bench anything else, or the fact that most decks will play Oranguru/ Octillery. Espeon is great because most decks post-rotation are evolution decks which Ninetales leaves a gaping hole where there anus used to be when you deal about 80-90 damage then devolve them for a single energy attachment. And I wouldn't recommend playing Dumbells because Field Blower is a card. I'm guessing you use it primarily to make it easier to bottle up damage on a Ninetales then GX for a big KO? But trust me, you'd be better off not relying on your GX attack so much, when you can snipe, AND deal 190 with a Choice Band.

Dude, Ninetales is only immune to EX's/ GX's.

@DKQuagmire I was thinking about this deck, too, and although I haven't built it yet, I think my list would look like yours.However...

PCL, Kukui, and Mall-hoe are all one-of Supporters, so they'll lose a lot of playablity because of VS Seeker rotating. And even with Guzma, switching is still important, so Float Stones are also ideal. I also think 2 Field Blowers are necessary because of Garbotoxin and Float Stones. Garbodor is a bad matchup for Ninetales because Garbotoxin shuts off Safeguard and Octillery, and Necrozma's GX can be devistating because Rough Seas rotates. They also get rid of Dumbells, so, yeah...? I would also reccomend Espeon EX and possibly Sudowoodo because Sudo, which can be searched by Brooklet Hill, limits your opponents bench space, which will be pretty big post-rotation, due to not being able to bench that extra Lele for a needed supporter, letting your opponent Lele for Brigette, and not be able to bench anything else, or the fact that most decks will play Oranguru/ Octillery. Espeon is great because most decks post-rotation are evolution decks which Ninetales leaves a gaping hole where there anus used to be when you deal about 80-90 damage then devolve them for a single energy attachment. And I wouldn't recommend playing Dumbells because Field Blower is a card. I'm guessing you use it primarily to make it easier to bottle up damage on a Ninetales then GX for a big KO? But trust me, you'd be better off not relying on your GX attack so much, when you can snipe, AND deal 190 with a Choice Band.
I realized my mistake soon after I made it. I deleted the post.

PCL, Kukui, and Mall-hoe are all one-of Supporters, so they'll lose a lot of playablity because of VS Seeker rotating. And even with Guzma, switching is still important, so Float Stones are also ideal. I also think 2 Field Blowers are necessary because of Garbotoxin and Float Stones. Garbodor is a bad matchup for Ninetales because Garbotoxin shuts off Safeguard and Octillery, and Necrozma's GX can be devastating because Rough Seas rotates. They also get rid of Dumbells, so, yeah...? I would also recommend Espeon EX and possibly Sudowoodo because Sudo, which can be searched by Brooklet Hill, limits your opponents bench space, which will be pretty big post-rotation, due to not being able to bench that extra Lele for a needed supporter, letting your opponent Lele for Brigette, and not be able to bench anything else, or the fact that most decks will play Oranguru/ Octillery. Espeon is great because most decks post-rotation are evolution decks which Ninetales leaves a gaping hole where there anus used to be when you deal about 80-90 damage then devolve them for a single energy attachment. And I wouldn't recommend playing Dumbells because Field Blower is a card. I'm guessing you use it primarily to make it easier to bottle up damage on a Ninetales then GX for a big KO? But trust me, you'd be better off not relying on your GX attack so much, when you can snipe, AND deal 190 with a Choice Band.

Thanks for your recommendations and suggestions. I'm still used to playing 1 of supporters so going into a VS seeker-less format will be very tricky to find the right balance/ combination of supporter cards. Now that I think about it, i shouldn't be relying on 1 of supporters at all, and should have at least 2 copies of supporters i need in the deck but isn't really necessary at certain points in the game. This is how Brigette works atm, so i'll probobly drop the Kukui and PCL. I also forgot all about the Garbotoxin Garbodor when I made this deck list so i'll definitely have to squeeze in an extra field blower for that. The dumbbells can probably be switched for the extra choice band and a float stone for extra switching with Guzma like you mentioned. Espeon EX is an interesting card, which sadly I don't own, but de-evolving pokemon sounds awesome. I think i'll stick with Sudowoodo for now though, since Brooklet Hill can search for him and bench space is super important in a format without skyfield.

Thanks for your recommendations and suggestions. I'm still used to playing 1 of supporters so going into a VS seeker-less format will be very tricky to find the right balance/ combination of supporter cards. Now that I think about it, i shouldn't be relying on 1 of supporters at all, and should have at least 2 copies of supporters i need in the deck but isn't really necessary at certain points in the game. This is how Brigette works atm, so i'll probobly drop the Kukui and PCL. I also forgot all about the Garbotoxin Garbodor when I made this deck list so i'll definitely have to squeeze in an extra field blower for that. The dumbbells can probably be switched for the extra choice band and a float stone for extra switching with Guzma like you mentioned. Espeon EX is an interesting card, which sadly I don't own, but de-evolving pokemon sounds awesome. I think i'll stick with Sudowoodo for now though, since Brooklet Hill can search for him and bench space is super important in a format without skyfield.
It's really hard to get used to not playing VS Seeker. I wasn't playing competitive until around Primal Clash/ Roaring Skies, so I feel the pain. And I would try to mimic Black and White format decks, only, Catcher is and Item, so Skyla is way underpowered now. We don't have the same, good supporters like Colress, and when we feel like we can't do anything else, we can't just draw 7 and end our turn. At least, I pray to god that's not the worlds promo this year.

Iv'e made some edits to the deck.

-1 Tapu Koko promo
-1 Aceroller
-1 Kukui
-1 PCL
-2 Dumbbells

+1 Sudowoodo
+1 Mallow
+1 Choice Band
+1 Field Blower
+2 Float Stone

another mallow means more Octillery can get you more of any 2 cards per turn shenanigans which i like. Sudowoodo is for preventing extra bench Pokemon being played and works with my stadium, more choice band means more chances i have at drawing it and using it to hit 190 damage. more field blower for garbotoxin, and more float stone, which means i don't have to rely on Tapu Koko promo as much. Hes now a 1 of copy in the deck now, but i can still search for him with Brigette.

I really like your list now. If I do end up rebuilding the deck, I'll play this list, except I'd drop 1-2 Mallow for a 4th Sycamore and/ or Espeon EX. But like you said, being able to Mall-hoe/ Octillery for any 2 cards is good, and is something I haven't tried yet, so I'm not used to. I'll try out that combo once I get all my Burning Shadow cards that I need to order once the set drops.

Also working on a straight Ninetales list for post-rotation and I'm currently exploring the option of playing Puzzle of Time. It recycles Supporters in much the same way that VS Seeker did, and also gives you access to other essential pieces that you may lose or discard early, such as DCEs, Aqua Patches, or your Tools. Additionally, it combos nicely with Octillery to get you out of a tricky situation, functioning as something of a less efficient Mallow in certain spots. I'm not yet convinced that the Puzzles do enough to warrant their inclusion over additional copies of other cards, but have a look at the list:

Pokemon: 16
4 Alolan Vulpix
3 Alolan Ninetales GX
1 Alolan Ninetales
2 Remoraid
2 Octillery
2 Tapu Lele
1 Glaceon EX
1 Tapu Koko Promo

Supporters: 13
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Mallow
2 Guzma
1 Brigette
1 Acerola

Items: 19
4 Ultra Ball
4 Puzzle of Time
3 Aqua Patch
3 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Special Charge

Energy: 12
8 Water Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

If I were to remove the Puzzles, I'd probably add the follwing:

1 N
1 Brigette
1 Aqua Patch
1 Field Blower

Has anybody else tested Puzzle of Time in their (Alolan Ninetales) decks? If so, to what result?

I like the deck havent tried puzzles but why play Mallow.? Doesnt seem all that good for use of supporter for the turn.

I like the deck havent tried puzzles but why play Mallow.? Doesnt seem all that good for use of supporter for the turn.
Mallow has synergy with Octillery; you stack your deck with 2 cards that you need at the moment, then have Octillery draw into them with Abyssal Hand.

I have real trouble to get this deck woriking with the standard format cards for september already. So VS Seekers and others are not an option anymore. The biggest trouble I have is, the discard issue with Ninetales. I thought Pokémon Ranger whas an option for this, but now that I know that this card only works in the next turn it's completley useless. I am not fast enough with the Ninetales GX because of the discards. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I have real trouble to get this deck woriking with the standard format cards for september already. So VS Seekers and others are not an option anymore. The biggest trouble I have is, the discard issue with Ninetales. I thought Pokémon Ranger whas an option for this, but now that I know that this card only works in the next turn it's completley useless. I am not fast enough with the Ninetales GX because of the discards. Does anyone have a solution for this?
The deck includes Double Colorless energies to pay the cost of Blizzard Edge when Ninetales GX has 2 Water energy already. If Water energy has to be discarded, they can be recovered with Aqua Patch; it's just they have to be put on a benched Pokemon. Any discarded DCEs can be recovered with Special Charge. 8 Water energy is reasonable enough in this deck.

The deck includes Double Colorless energies to pay the cost of Blizzard Edge when Ninetales GX has 2 Water energy already. If Water energy has to be discarded, they can be recovered with Aqua Patch; it's just they have to be put on a benched Pokemon. Any discarded DCEs can be recovered with Special Charge. 8 Water energy is reasonable enough in this deck.

I have played Quad Sylveon against Ninetales a lot and never have lost to it , though have had some ties. I am contemplating making A. Ninetales deck but what do you do against energy denial decks, as with only 4 aqua patches you will eventually run out of ways to retreive discarded energies. Also seems to deck out quite often too, by turn 5 or 6 the ninetales player has almost no deck left. I know quad sylveon isnt widely played but just curious as to how to combat energy denial in general.

I have played Quad Sylveon against Ninetales a lot and never have lost to it , though have had some ties. I am contemplating making A. Ninetales deck but what do you do against energy denial decks, as with only 4 aqua patches you will eventually run out of ways to retreive discarded energies. Also seems to deck out quite often too, by turn 5 or 6 the ninetales player has almost no deck left. I know quad sylveon isnt widely played but just curious as to how to combat energy denial in general.
If you have never lost against ninetales with quad Sylveon, then the players you played against were likely not experienced with Ninetales. Any deck with any energy recovery whatsoever has an easy time with Sylveon. And the trick against deck out decks is to never Sycamore and never bench a Pokemon that can be active-stalled. N is very key to winning these matchups. The day GRI became legal, I played Yveltal in a league cup and round 1 I played against Sylveon, and I won. Between discarding my energy and having dark resistence, you'd think it would be an easy win, but the matter of fact is that most deck out decks only win against inexperienced players, or if players draw bad. An exception to this is Sableye, which usually loses due to time. Also, with Guzma, Mill decks will lose a lot of leverage since you can't active stall anymore. Ninetales is a super solid play post rotation because it only loses Rough Seas. Literally EVERY other card in the deck stays. I'm not counting Lysandre because of Guzma, and I'm not counting Hex or VS Seeker because EVERY deck loses those. Espeon EX in general is an amazing card after the rotation since most decks will be evolution based, and combining that with bench-sniping is the savior of the rotation. Thank God I already have the deck, because if it wins anything, it will shoot up in price.

Lol, ive played countless ninetales..some mightve been inepxerienced but not all..withou vs seekr u can max N 4 times now. You cant not play sycamores to avoid deck out.. quad sylveon doesnt rely on deckout but it can be a win condition...4 aqua patches is not alot of energy recovery. Ninetales def a solid deck post rotation but being that as it is ive always played well agaisnt it due to play high amount of energy denial, plus keep 4 puzzle of times while every one loses vs seeker is huge.
Daek turbo is tougher matchup for sylveon becuase they have more access to discard energy retrieval

Last edited:
I'm a big Ninetails fan, but I think you may be a little ironic in some of your card choices...

I'm mainly talking about Sudowoodo. You play it because you want to stop your opponent from playing Lele, Octillery, Oranguru, etc. Yet you play them yourself. Sudowoodo has become much weaker since Mega Ray/Sky Field will be rotating, because now when you limit your opponent's bench space one spot, you also limit your own the same amount. Even worse, their bench space cannot be Guzma-ed. Sudowoodo was originally added in tourney decks because Alolan Ninetails was tanky and the only Pokemon who could destroy it (aside from steel types) was Mega Rayquaza. Instead I would probably use a fourth Sycamore, as discarding energy can actually be a good thing in this deck.

I also think a second Brigette is not necessary. There is a 10% Chance of that particular card being prized, and you don't really have many issues finding Pokemon thanks to Brooklet Hill and Beacon. I think it would be better spent on another Guzma.

Back