• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Alolan Golem/Electrode V1.1

Firewyn

Aspiring Trainer
Hi Pokebeachers!

I'm trying out a new deck, during playtesting, it has some ups and downs. For the most part, I find that i'm down early, but it comes back to win most games it won during my playtesting session.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 1.1

Here's the decklist:

4x Alolan Geodude (GRI)
1x Alolan Graveler (GRI)
4x Alolan Golem (GRI)
2x Voltorb (EVO)
2x Electrode (EVO)
1x Victini *Victory Star* (GRI)
1x Alolan Vulpix (GRI)
1x Raikou (SLG)
1x Tapu Lele (GRI)

3x Professor Sycamore
4x N
3x Guzma
1x Fisherman
1x Brigette
1x Skyla

4x Rare Candy
3x Choice Band
3x Ultra Ball
2x Counter Catcher
2x Field Blower
1x Heavy Ball
1x Super Rod
1x Rescue Stretcher

12x Lightning Energy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 1.1 Thoughts:

- Still love the Electrodes in the deck. Enables Counter Catcher, allowing me to choose what to KO
- Still don't have more Leles :(, deck will definitely be better with at least 1 more
- At the very moment, I'm not putting in Clemont, only because I only have one Lele... Yes Clemont would be beneficial for this deck.
- Tried a 1-1 Dragonair (Dragon Wish) w/ Clemont... I didn't feel comfortable with the deck...
- Heavy ball is great, if I can fit one more that'd be great
- -1 Sycamore/+1 N is a good change because I don't want to toss out beneficial cards to evolve

Like the updates? Any other tinkering needed?

Thanks again everyone!

- Firewyn

Last edited:
Consider that when you use Electrode that should be counted are part of your energy count. 14x Energy is a lot unless you also want to run max elixirs, but even then 12 should suffice.

I'm thinking I might want to try an Alolan Golem deck...but I would put a different spin on it.

1) I dont like the Electrode partner- yeah its cool that you get to use Counter Catcher, but you're also playing 3 Guzma- and often the biggest threat is the one thats attacking you in their active. Not to mention you're giving up a prize that could just be E-Hammered or Kartana'ed away for naught. My replacement- would be a 2-0-2 Magnazone replacement- whos Magnetic Circuit lets you attach as many (L) energies as you want on your turn.

2) So that's great that you can attach them- how do you get them into your hand? Play Clemont. Search your deck for 4 (L) put them into your hand.

3) Yes my answer is a stage 2; so you'll be needing to find Candy- But here's the nice thing- they're both Heavy Ball searchable, add in 2 or 3 of those.

4) Hopefully I've solved the problem of both finding pokemon and attaching energy- (therefore I would cut the Vulpix & Rayquaza)

5) I would scale back the Sycamores as I dont want be throwing out candy; and also adding in another Field Blower- as it turns it to a slightly ability focused deck- and needing to deal with Garbotoxin is key.

Additionally- this deck is now turning itself into a linear Supporter line: T1- Brigette (Basics Out), T2- Skyla (Evolve), T3- Clemont (Get Energy), T4- Fisherman (Recover) and I think you'll need more than 1 Tapu Lele- GX to ensure that you're getting the right supporter when you need it.

I'm sorry if the suggestions dont quite help you; but they might if you get more Leles.

I would at least drop 1 guzma for an ultra ball. Also it seems like counter energy could be a good fit for this deck since you'll be behind on prizes most of the game.

So.... I've made some changes, thanks for all of your input my friends!

Here's the new decklist changes (decklist has been updated with changes):

-1 Rayquaza
+1 Raikou (Shining Legends)
-1 Sycamore
+1 N
-1 Choice Band
+1 Heavy Ball
-2 Lightning Energy
+1 Field Blower
+1 Professor's Letter

A few.... omissions....

Hi Pokebeachers!

- Still love the Electrodes in the deck. Enables Counter Catcher, allowing me to choose what to KO
- Still don't have more Leles :(, deck will definitely be better with at least 1 more
- At the very moment, I'm not putting in Clemont, only because I only have one Lele... Yes Clemont would be beneficial for this deck.
- Tried a 1-1 Dragonair (Dragon Wish) w/ Clemont... I didn't feel comfortable with the deck...
- Heavy ball is great, if I can fit one more that'd be great
- -1 Sycamore/+1 N is a good change because I don't want to toss out beneficial cards to evolve

Like the updates? Any other tinkering needed?

Thanks again everyone!

- Firewyn

What about Dragonair from SUM? For one colorless energy, Dragon's Wish allows you to attach as many energy you like next turn. Combined with Clemont, Professor's Letter, etc. you can get all the energy you can for (maybe) two turns. It might work, I don't know since I haven't tested it, but the concept to me seems solid.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

@FrostBiter12
It could've been my luck, but I tried it, and it wasn't working well.
I might try it again, like a 1-1 OR a 2-2 line?

Sure, I guess it is a little clunky. Maybe try a 2-2 line and play Random Recievers instead of Counter Catcher for draw support. I don't know since I haven't tested it, and since you said you have, maybe it doesn't work. It was worth a shot though. I'll keep my eye out for any other cards to help out with energy acceleration. If you're playing Expanded, maybe Eelektrik from NVI, Rough Seas, and Pokémon Center Lady to preserve the Alolan Golem GX? Just a thought.

Last edited:
This is Alolan Golem-GX’s chance to SHINE! (In no other deck can it do this).

Nice deck. You need Alolan Golem-Gx, but there is not much I would change here really, except maybe a 2nd Heavy Ball. You can do this by cutting a Lightning Energy.

@joffreyspikes
I'll try playing them again

@FrostBiter12
I'll try that as well

Good luck!

By the way, do think this deck is better in Expanded or Standard? Both seem to have ups and downs with cards and matchups, but I don't know which is better than the other. I think Expanded has better card options but worse matchups, and for Standard vice versa.

Good luck!

By the way, do think this deck is better in Expanded or Standard? Both seem to have ups and downs with cards and matchups, but I don't know which is better than the other. I think Expanded has better card options but worse matchups, and for Standard vice versa.

Yea.... I'm not an expanded player tbh, but I'd have to agree, there are probably much more weak matchups in expanded than in standard.

I want Alolan Golem GX to work, but it's high attack cost worries me. Buzzwole GX tears this deck apart too.

I know you're focusing on evolving with Rare Candy, but I'd still run at least 2 Alolan Graveler because one Miraculous Shine from Espeon EX puts you in a bad spot.

Back