Blog All I Do is Thin: The Buzz on Battle Compressor

Just after I read this... I made this
(please don't fall this. It's nearly a meme on the Virbank City Facebook group)

gtfKHJf.png

EDIT: People take a joke too seriously.

Last edited:
And that article isn't there... xD

Anyways, I personally have been thinking about a battle compressor ban ever since I heard a rumour about it a few weeks ago. I personally think a ban is quite healthy for the game. I see one of the major points being brought up to be something along the lines of "it help's so many decks aside from Night March!". Granted, it does. It helps those decks be fast. But all those other decks that don't/can't use it become slow. And thus can't really compete. Which in turns prevents a whole bunch of really nice decks from being usable. And I don't like that.

I think one of the best things about such a ban would be that it rids three-ish of the most toxic turn-1, 1-hit KO decks in the meta - Vespiquen, Blastoise and Night March. I've been waiting for the meta to slow down a bit, so hopefully this will freshen things up and allow for new defensive or slower archetypes and the faster archetypes to thrive nicely.

In many regards, I was fairly conflicted about what to ban in in this metagame. At first thought, I felt the Night March Pokemon themselves should be the target to ban, as that was a ridiculous strategy in its own right, ever since the trump card ban. At the same time, the battle compressor was also utterly overpowered in its own right, and made playing the game feel... well... "Artificial" is my word for it.

With cards nowadays, discarding cards turns the discard pile into a ridiculous giant locomotive to fill up and throw at opponents. I thought the original mission of a pile like this was to hold cards that one can't use again, unless there is a price to pay to get the cards. But now, the ways we have of effortlessly 'fishing' cards from the discard into your hand, and strategies that are heavily reliant on Pokemon discarded, it's now obvious: Discarding is a huge premium for many decks now.

With this in mind, I'm wondering about the health and the role of the discard pile itself in the game. How far must the discard pile be manipulated by other cards before the mechanic creates broken strategies? My head hurts trying to think of how to solve this... Maybe as much as the compressor is overpowered, so are the cards like VS Seeker, Maxie/Archie, and Puzzle of time as well. :/

Perhaps it's time that the Lost Zone returns? I doubt it, but it's a way that TPCi might avoid a ban. The Grumpig in XY10 isn't being talked about, but it's basically born to kill Night March, for P it takes a Basic Pokemon from your opponent's discard pile and puts it on their Bench with three damage counters on it. It will be too late to repair the damage Night March did at States, but it will certainly cut down its influence in the future.

Perhaps it's time that the Lost Zone returns? I doubt it, but it's a way that TPCi might avoid a ban. The Grumpig in XY10 isn't being talked about, but it's basically born to kill Night March, for P it takes a Basic Pokemon from your opponent's discard pile and puts it on their Bench with three damage counters on it. It will be too late to repair the damage Night March did at States, but it will certainly cut down its influence in the future.
The issue with Grumpig is that it is really, well, ineffective. You basically have to run either an anti-Night March or an anti-meta deck to actually use it (providing you don't get smashed by other archetypes), and even then it's not like it can out-trade Night March in the prize trade unless they wiff. And they have an easier set up than your Grumpig, mind you.

Yeah, it's true. Having 100HP and being Stage-1 both hurt its effectiveness, and (more importantly?) Grumpig is totally useless against not-Night March. I went through Awakening of Psychic Kings expecting to see a Basic Pokemon with a similar attack, but no such luck. Maybe Grumpig EX or something similar might come in the future, I guess at least we could see Grumpig as a signal that TPCi knows that something needs to be done about Night March's success.

I think it would be better just to ban the Night Marchers themselves or just wait till they're rotated out (Assuming the rotation will be PRC onwards)

Also I can't see PCI banning Battle Compressor if they're going to be re-printing it (Assuming the rumors are true that is)

Just after I read this...

gtfKHJf.png

So glad I stopped by and read this blog. I believe this will help with the Metta a bit. Though, I know why this is a great card -- I believe this will bring some balance to decks and help with the meta when it comes to skill plays. It will be nice to see players get past turn two, and watch a Mega and stage 2 pokemon hit once in a while. I look forward to the ban.

Do you have a link to this? I cant find anything about Battle Compressor being banned.
So glad I stopped by and read this blog. I believe this will help with the Metta a bit. Though, I know why this is a great card -- I believe this will bring some balance to decks and help with the meta when it comes to skill plays. It will be nice to see players get past turn two, and watch a Mega and stage 2 pokemon hit once in a while. I look forward to the ban.

I admit it - it's fake
Please don't fall for this :p

Man, I've got to get out of the whole "April Fools" Spirit before something bad happens

I admit it - it's fake
Please don't fall for this :p

Man, I've got to get out of the whole "April Fools" Spirit before something bad happens
You sir, deserve a swift kick in the rear. Or at least a pimple or two. What really gave it away was the first bullet point. Everything else was well done.

Lol I was gonna say, I've seen way too many of those Photoshopped pics to be fooled. Nice try buddy haha.

Aaaaaand Night March tops the majority of States in Round 4. Welp. We tried. At least Trevenant won more this past weekend.

This is a really well written article, thorough and enjoyable. Just the right balance of serious and silly. I agree with the conclusion at the end that it is very unlikely to be banned. However, I really hope it's not reprinted and we lose it (from standard) at rotation. There are too many decks that are just unviable because the Meta around them is so fast.

This is a really well written article, thorough and enjoyable. Just the right balance of serious and silly. I agree with the conclusion at the end that it is very unlikely to be banned. However, I really hope it's not reprinted and we lose it (from standard) at rotation. There are too many decks that are just unviable because the Meta around them is so fast.
http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/04/m-beedrill-ex-from-premium-champion-set-other-reprints-confirmed
Unfortunately an English reprint is looking extremely likely.

Actually, for the edited screenshot, the first line of the article strikingly states "as of May 16 2015". And the rest of the text doesn't make sense for Compressor neither.

Back