beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
I dont understand the love they have for Lanturn, 7 cards since Sun and Moon, Reuniclus havent appearead at all since Fates Collides (XY) and dindt the spoon bending guy retired his sue agaisnt Kadabra? When Kadabra will return? GO Set sound like was the perfect opportuniny to bringing back being a Kanto related set pretty much
One of the issues as Frost pointed out, is how many types are represented by each energy.

Fire, Lightning, Steel and Dragon only represent themselves - and Dragon isn't really a fully fledged one either.

The others are 2 or more:

Grass - also Bug
Water - also Ice
Fighting - also Rock and Ground
Psychic - also Ghost and Fairy
Colorless (Normal) - also Flying and Dragon
Dark - also Poison

I'm not sure there is a sheet anywhere that breaks all the 900 Pokemon into what energies can represent them.

But, Lightning and Fire normally have fewer new Pokemon each generation whereas something like Grass and Bug are big groups on their own and are combined. That's why Lightning Pokemon get loads of cards and one of the reasons why early Dark/Steel Pokemon like Magnemite got so many cards.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
One of the issues as Frost pointed out, is how many types are represented by each energy.

Fire, Lightning, Steel and Dragon only represent themselves - and Dragon isn't really a fully fledged one either.

The others are 2 or more:

Grass - also Bug
Water - also Ice
Fighting - also Rock and Ground
Psychic - also Ghost and Fairy
Colorless (Normal) - also Flying and Dragon
Dark - also Poison

I'm not sure there is a sheet anywhere that breaks all the 900 Pokemon into what energies can represent them.

But, Lightning and Fire normally have fewer new Pokemon each generation whereas something like Grass and Bug are big groups on their own and are combined. That's why Lightning Pokemon get loads of cards and one of the reasons why early Dark/Steel Pokemon like Magnemite got so many cards.

Even if the electric representation is limited, Lanturn still shines for some reason, I check a few electric Pokemons and Lanturn is one of the electrics with more cards in the last 6 years, they could literally use the spot in this set to add Hisuia Electrode for example which dont have an electric card yet

But overall I still think they could just cut it out some of the over exposed lightnings if most of that cards end being filler, Luxray got like 4 cards already (5 counting the V), would be that bad cut it out just one of this lines for a Reuniclus or Sunflora just for mention some? A Lanturn line for a Aromotisse or Swalot? and theres probably more examples and with differents types as well

I would prefer having at least 1 card representation of every pokemon in every era, than one Pokemon line having 5 differents lines of cards in a single era

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
I'm a bit confused about the lost zone mechanic in this set.
It's so all over the place tbh.

At first it felt like you wanted to discard your own stuff to fuel/use certain cards but now we got cards that get rid of opponents cards but won't use them really.

The idea was great at first, sacrificing own cards to gain some kind of payback but now it's too little synergies and a lot of wonky stuff.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
We're getting so many bland cards now.And this all started at the beginning of Sword and Shield.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
I’m really sad they quickly dropped the Hisui vibes we’ve been getting from other sets. Seems like they’re done with Hisui and probably getting ready to wrap up gen 8 before starting gen 9 soon here.
Honestly, they haven't been the greatest at themeing lately. We got two hisui sets and they completely dropped it in favor of random kanto mons and the occasional new mon....why? Who knows.

PaisleyParks

A Story About Breaking a Curse
Hate to be super negative but I despise the lost zone stank. Looks like Aerodactyl VSTAR is flying through a cloud of farts.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
I’m really sad they quickly dropped the Hisui vibes we’ve been getting from other sets. Seems like they’re done with Hisui and probably getting ready to wrap up gen 8 before starting gen 9 soon here.
My first thought was that maybe they don't want to mix different regional variants in a single set (hence why we had no Alolan forms until Go which lacked Galarian and Hisuian forms), but then that doesn't excuse no Wyrdeer/Kleavor/Ursaluna/Enamorus. This also would've been the perfect set to feature single prize Origin Dialga/Palkia cards.

I also just realized that none of the Trainer cards are based on PLA which is a real shame. I thought for sure that they would make Space-Time Distortion a Stadium that does something Lost Zone related.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
But overall I still think they could just cut it out some of the over exposed lightnings if most of that cards end being filler, Luxray got like 4 cards already (5 counting the V), would be that bad cut it out just one of this lines for a Reuniclus or Sunflora just for mention some? A Lanturn line for a Aromotisse or Swalot? and theres probably more examples and with differents types as well

I would prefer having at least 1 card representation of every pokemon in every era, than one Pokemon line having 5 differents lines of cards in a single era

I would too, but the types represent a very key feature of the Pokemon selected. TCG sets, especially English ones, generally try to represent every type (there are weird exceptions like Dragon not being in early Gen 8 as they played coy picking dual type Dragons and represented them with their non-Dragon types). So Reuniclus and Sunflora aren't competing with Luxray for space in a set, they're competing with the much larger Grass and Psychic pools. A lot of the Pokemon that are neglected the longest tend to be Water, Psychic and Fighting - the types that roll together three different VG types. Though, yes, it is frustrating to see them pick many of the same Pokemon over and over while ignoring others in their type as well. As somebody else mentioned, this is the second time they've featured Swirlix and Slurpuff in Gen 8 while Spritzee and Aromatisse still have no cards. This is the first Generation where both Nidoran lines haven't received cards (yet?) even though they can be used as Darkness cards now, etc.

Polaris

Swim freely seems like a wasted mechanic? Can't see any point to it yet.

Areodactyl is bait. By the time you're attacking with it, it's more likely your opponent has already popped their Arceus or Palkia V-stat power (they normally do it on turn 1 or two). Then, you need it to survive and lug it around ok your bench. It's just not worth it unless it's your whole deck, which might be ok? It's attack isn't that bad. But I don't expect it to have a serious impact.

Mostly disappointed, was hoping for more good trainers but they're pretty bad.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I understand the feeling. I've really been living the Hisui themed artwork, especially the art that features recognizable locations. It's also worth noting, however, that we got more recognizable location cameos for Hisui in two English sets (four Japanese sets) than we did for Galar in the entire Sword and Shield block. At least, it feels like it. We got most of the cameos in Battle Styles (isle of armor), Chilling Reign (crown tundra), and Fusion Strike (wyndon), but most of Galar was neglected. Apart from a Hippopotas on top of Hammerlock gym/power plant, Stufful in the Wild Area near Lake Axwell, Mr. Rime V in Spikemuth, Special ( "Alternate") Art Machamp in Astral Radiance, and Charizard V and Morpeko V (Darkness Ablaze and Brilliant Stars respectively) in Wyndon Stadium, I can't name any other location cameos apart from Trainer Gallery cards. It's also worth noting that this set contains a higher quantity of Pokemon from the Galar region, such as Cramorant, Dragapult, Galarian Stunfisk, and Galarian Perserker V. Remember that this is the Sword and Shield era, and they've gone for five Japanese sets (six, including Pokemon GO) with little to no Galar representation. Perhaps we'll see more Hisui representation in future sets, but with the next set being based around iconic foreign trainers (such as Serena and possibly Lillie) and the set after that prominently featuring legendary Pokemon like Regidrago, Regieleki, and Lugia, it seems unlikely. Perhaps we'll get some Hisui themed cards in VSTAR Universe. In any case, I'm thankful we got Battle Region (which I'm going to open a box of at Christmas), the Origin Form legend Alternate Arts, Okacheke Yanma and Mantine, and the Hisuian Arcanine Character Rare, to name a few of my favorites.
As for Alternate Arts, we'll almost certainly get Giratina V, and I'm guessing we will get either Kyurem V, Aerodactyl V, or Drapion V as Alternate Arts (since in the last three Japanese sets to have Alternate Arts, we've gotten two Alternate Art Vs for VMAX/VSTAR lines), and I'm guessing we'll get two other Alternate Arts featuring non-evolving Vs since Star Birth had four Alternate Arts as well as as eight Vs and four VSTARs, but I can't make any promises. Do not assume that any Pokemon is too relevant or popular to not get an Alternate Art. Pokemon has chosen random Vs over more playable or popular Vs plenty of times in the past. Which is the only reason why we have Golurk V, one of my favorite Alternate Arts.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
Lost Abyss seems to be a very innovative set, even outside the Lost Zone mechanic. There are lots of interesting effects and attacks in the set, some that seem really novel as well. Notable examples include Amoonguss, Hypno, Dragapult, Barbaracle and Metagross.

But I think Aerodactyl VSTAR's Ancient Star attack is the most fascinating effect of the set. An attack that gives the pokémon an ability is in a very interesting design space, and I wouldn't mind seeing similar attacks in the future.

With that said, I think Creatures have deliberately powered down the set to allow for more experimental card designs. A good example of this is Aerodactyl VSTAR as well, with its attack hitting 240. 240, even with a Choice Belt, doesn't get all other VSTARs, which makes Aerodactyl VSTAR reliant on pingers/damage spreaders like G. Zigzagoon. And the attack even comes with a drawback.

Another example is Metagross, which has a really nice ability, but comes with a rather lacklustre attack.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Lost Sweeper is pretty good. I guess it doesn't straight up replace Blower in Expanded because "exiling" VS discarding 2 things is a real tradeoff. Maybe you just replace your Fabas instead? Usually being an item would just be better, but Faba being a supporter is actually good, as it allows for VS Seeker, Lusamine, etc shenanigans that aren't reliably possible with items. I mean, at the very least this is an interesting thought exercise.