Ruling Aggron MT-Even I'm not sure now

Lunar Wing

I see the you if you don't see the me
Advanced Member
My question is about Aggron MT's first attack, Heap Up. I think that the attack allows you to put back more than just the Sp. Metal Energy (Basic Metal and even Upper Energy). But while I was at league today the League Leader said that the attack would only put back the Sp.Metal Energy. If that is true then the deck that I'm using him with isn't as good as I thought. Here is a scan for those lazy people.
1-aggron.jpg

And don't just say this is that and not explain because I would like a full explanation of why, so that way I don't get too upset.

I am not 100% sure, but here is what I think:

The last part of the attack is saying, "Energy cards", and it is not specifying the Sp. metal. So, I think you can shuffle all of the Energy back into your deck. The part about the extra damage is the only thing applying to the Sp. Metal. So, it should work.

You are correct. It's all enery cards. The Special Metal Energy effect is pretty much a side note. I can't explain it more than that...

Dangit. So my League Leader's decision made me lose a game (unless he was actually correct). I was pretty sure that it would take all of them because why else would it say find all energy cards in my discard pile? And also, the part saying put those energy back into my deck is seperated by the extra damage part by a period.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure, but to me, that's how it looks. I was about to side with your league leader, actually, but then, I noticed that little bit there. I actually had to delete a post because of that :D

I'm not sure either, but the beneficial way was and still is the way I think it should work. But I'd like if someone could find an official ruling on it for me (because I can't find one), and I'm considering running it for a BR.

I played someone at a BRs 2 years ago who played Agron and the judge said that it is all energy, not just the special.

"Search your deck for all energy cards and show them to your opponent..."
-You have 2 Sp. Metal and 3 Normal Metal in the discard. You choose all of them, as the attack says. Set those chosen cards aside and complete the text.

"...If you find any Sp. Metal Energy cards there..."
-"there" is referring to the cards you have chosen and set aside.

"...does 70, blah blah."
"...Put all of those energy cards..."
-Again, referring to ALL the cards you chose"

This is the best way I could think of to clear it up without saying the same thing as everyone else.
Hope it was helpful.

Martainia said:
-You have 2 Sp. Metal and 3 Normal Metal in the discard. You choose all of them, as the attack says. Set those chosen cards aside and complete the text.

"...does 70, blah blah."

This is the best way I could think of to clear it up without saying the same thing as everyone else.
Hope it was helpful.

Yeah, that's what would happen. I just wasn't sure anymore because I got two people (professors) at my league saying that it was only special Metal Energy.

Lunar Wing said:
Martainia said:

"...does 70, blah blah."

Hope it was helpful.

Yeah, that's what would happen. I just wasn't sure anymore because I got two people (professors) at my league saying that it was only special Metal Energy.

Huh. Strange that of all people, Professor's would go against it.
They're just jealous. Hahah

Martainia said:
Lunar Wing said:
Martainia said:

"...does 70, blah blah."

Hope it was helpful.

Huh. Strange that of all people, Professor's would go against it.
They're just jealous. Hahah

Who know's, maybe they are. Being able to have gotten my Basic Metals as well as my Special would have saved me the game from decking out and losing all of my Energy to attack. But as long as my Head Judge at the BRs goes with the beneficial ruling I'm okay with it.

I used this deck when it came out, and everyone agreed that you put back all energy. I wish PUSA had a site for clarifications like this.

Ok, I am now left wondering how some people can become professors/to's. This problem is cleared up just by reading the card.
Step 1 - announce heap up. search your discard pile for all energy cards. All, basic and special, the card does not specify it simply states all energy cards, so you could get psychic, multi basically any card with the word energy on the top of it
Step 2 - check to see if any of those energy cards are sp. metal. If they are you can add an extra 30 damage to the attack.
Step 3 - check resistance/weakness any other effects on defending or active and do damage
Step 4 - shuffle all energy cards that you got out of your discard pile back into your deck.

At no point in the text does it say only metal energy can be pulled from your discard. Also at no point does it say only shuffle the sp. metal back into your deck. I am glad this was only a league cause it really would have sucked for you to have a loss in a tournament because someone is too stupid to read the card properly. I cannot even understand how there could be ANY confusion over this attack. It is clearly worded and very specific.

Hope that helps and by the way I am a professor if that helps

If you could only put back the Special Metal energy, wouldn't it just say "Search your discard pile for all Special Metal Energy cards..."?

Back