After testing today, Reshiram EX will go straight to top tier. Here's why:

pokemonjoe said:
@Celebi I misspoke. What I meant to say is that ex's will see some play and there will be some people who play them as main attackers, whether that is a good choice or not
Some people play Vaporeon as a main attacker. Then they often 1-4 tournaments. Nobody good would play that card as an attacker. The EX's are slightly better, but not enough to be main attackers.

Also how does that response even answer my original question?

^^ Ok, well from how I play, there are specific combos with cards, but there are also cards that fit into decks with techs or (I don't see this played much anymore) just a plain attacker. Does every deck need to start of with just 2 pokemon that work well in a combo? No. But, I can think of a couple. Reshiram ex could work well with refliptini (I believe there is a whole thread devoted to this), Regigas and reuniclus, and maybe a rogue deck with kyogre and regular kyurem or something. My original point was ex's will see play, just like the originals. I didn't say they would dominate the format, but they will be seen in the future.

pokemonjoe said:
^^ Ok, well from how I play, there are specific combos with cards, but there are also cards that fit into decks with techs or (I don't see this played much anymore) just a plain attacker. Does every deck need to start of with just 2 pokemon that work well in a combo? No. But, I can think of a couple. Reshiram ex could work well with refliptini (I believe there is a whole thread devoted to this), Regigas and reuniclus, and maybe a rogue deck with kyogre and regular kyurem or something. My original point was ex's will see play, just like the originals. I didn't say they would dominate the format, but they will be seen in the future.
The originals saw play because they were good, not because they were ex's. Anything running Reuniclus without Vileplume is way too vulnerable to Catcher. Especially when you need 2 DCE's on Gigas to be attacking - if that deck ever got popular, Lost Remover would completely destroy it. Kyogre would be a tech in Kyurem, but honestly I'm not sure it's worth-it - the idea of starting with it sucks and you only get +20 damage at the cost of not spreading the rest of the stuff and a 2-prize liability. We'll see about Reshiram + Fliptini - I'd still want Typhlosion or Emboar in there.

If the cards in the deck don't work well together, the deck won't work. Is Donphan/Yanmega the most obvious combo? No, but they are both fast attackers and Yanma's free retreat helps guarantee a T2 Donphan. All-tech decks only work at worlds.

Looking at your post, I think your right. Only a limited amount of ex's will see very much play, probably reshiram being the most popular, but you have to admit that the art can't be beat :p

You consider that ridiculous close up to be "art that can't be beat"? Sure, it's professionally well drawn and it packs dynamics and action, but that's it. TCG art deteriorated in my opinion, simply because that all they're trying to do now is make the cards look as awesome as possible. Nowadays, you won't see this "awesome" effect get toned down at all, which kills the variety and makes the card collection bland, imo. If they had drawn something with a more majestic style like this, and set it on a normal Reshi card, I'd tell you it would look much better than the ex card I'm seeing now.

But hey, everyone's a sucker for awesome-looking cards, so oh well.

It's just my opinion. I think the "majestic" looking art looks out of place, but thats just me. It's professionally well drawn and it packs dynamics and action, so what else does it need? So, awesome effects make the card bland? Isn't using the sprite more bland? But, I guess that just looks "majestic," so oh well.

pokemonjoe said:
So, awesome effects make the card bland? Isn't using the sprite more bland?
If by awesome you mean not even seeing half of the Pokemon itself with its head taking up 3/7 of the card, then yes, it is quite awesome.

Is there anything wrong with a close up? The face is the main feature of the pokemon, so why not show it? This is a nice change for reshiram. At least this art is a little more original than the promo. And I'd rather have a close up than the sprite. Anyway, I think this thread has been exhausted of discussion value. We're way off topic now.

Not totally sold on Typhlosion and ultra ball. Most likely this will be in our 5th B&W set, so our HGSS cards might even be rotated out by the time these battle strength decks come stateside. If we do see a rotation this is probably the decklist I would do

Reshiram EX
Emboar
Fliptini
Heavy Ball (can search for your emboars and reshi)
Cilian
Rocky Helmet/Eviolite

Back