Advice on Getting a Dog

Empoleon_master

I can stop watching Anime any time I don't want to
Due to me hoarding money like crazy and my parents owing me over $100, I have about $250ish to spend, this $250 instead of being spent on a Wii U and 0 games minus, Pokken Tournament which I got just for a guaranteed shadow mewtwo amiibo card and gamestop preorder poster earlier this month, OR I could have a fwuffy bundle of love that will help me withstand the tedium of going to a job in the next few months...and increase work productivity (yay psychological benefits), and being able to have something cute and awesome to come home to.

I am creating this topic because EVERY time I google some cute and fwuffy breed that fits my needs it A looks really weird to me or B has moneyandpainitis/hipdisplasia or is prone to it, things I REALLY can't afford. <_< Also I don't want another loving dog put back into a shelter because I can't afford their medical issues like many dogs are every day.

Let me say this now, I have done a lot of research on dogs etc the past few days, to the point where I can tell you the exact amount of space a dog needs between its neck and the collar (two fingers should be able to fit between the neck and collar), and the exact feeding schedule that puppies should be on since their birth.
Newborn puppies should drink lots of their mothers milk during the first 24 hours of birth as that is not only when the mother produces milk filled with antibodies etc, known as colostrum, however the intestinal tract of puppies can only absorb this kind of milk and get the benefits of the antibodies for 18 hours of birth, afterwards their intestines add one water molecule to the protein so that it splits and is thus absorbed better.

I am kind of in a working poor family (too "rich" to get government assistance, yet too poor to fix our plumbing problem which is a hole in the outflow pipe for the family bathroom), and thus am not able to say care for a dog that is going to get expensive things of pain, both to the fluff creature and wallet, soo any dog breed/mix breed that's prone to genetic things that suck out money and the happiness of a dog is a no go for me.

[/spoiler=me rambling more and why I want a mutt also depressing]
I do not give one single crap about "purebreds", I in fact am specifically looking for a fluff creature that is NOT a purebred. This is due to the widespread use of puppy mills and inbreeding, the last of which is allowed by the American Kennel Club because while they don't allow parents and children to breed, they allow grand children and grandparents to breed. Which as we all know from biology class is EXACTLY how you keep a species healthy and make sure they have NO genetic defects. This is because dogs are mostly purebred for dog show purposes so that they have certain aesthetics and represent "what a true X breed of dog should look like", such as German Shepards having a "banana back" (imagine a banana held up by it's curvature), but who really cares if that leads to super, uber nasty back problems, as long as they look a certain way who cares if they suffer from horribly painful problems as a result of the aesthetics bred into them? /end rant
[/spoiler]

Ok, now here's the reason I made this thread, I can't find a single breed that remotely covers the following list of things I want in a dog, and yes, I am 18 and do know how hard this is:
1 Not doing to have hipdisplasa or moneyandpainitis as there's no way I can afford to have those treated, nor can my family, pretty much until I go to grad school, finish grad school, and then become a lawyer and make craptillions to afford said expensive things.

2 Not a toy/kick me dog, by these I mean anything who's head doesn't at least go into my lap while I'm sitting in a chair, as I know I will not only trip over them, but since my house is tinyish I KNOW I will accidentally trip over them or hurt them by walking (I also have huge feet which doesn't help). I also kind of hate kick me dogs as I have them near my house that bark every time I so much as get the mail, and it's not like I can tell my neighbor "have you ever considered making them shut up for once?"....lastly the ONE kind of tinyish dog I actually like, my mom doesn't because the tiny legs freak her out.

3 Somewhat big and fwuffy....yet doesn't shed much. I want a dog that I can hug and feel like I'm hugging a fluff creature wearing a blanket of floof.....but doesn't shed a LOT, LOT, as I don't have the money to afford a new vacuum cleaner for a dog, nor do I have the money to get a new one every 2 months. Because of this I am thinking of getting a dog that's part whippet, which is basically like a greyhound, but the problem with them is that they were sort of bred to hunt things like tiny rodents etc and would sort of chase after every squirrel in the park once they see one....also they are not fwuffy. I don't care about the look of a dog, but so help me I will get one that feels like a pillow of love and fur.

4 Loves everything, aka will lick the mailperson rather than be the second house on the street with THAT KIND OF DOG that won't ever shut up, and you know would kind of not want to slaughtmurder the other dogs in the local dog park, but you know could still be able to bark once at my command to MAYBE get the local yap dogs to shut up, lol. (seriously I was tempted to play the sounds of a local large avian predator by their house at full volume to make them think there were going to be carried away and fed to some nice baby birds/raptors, but my mom wouldn't let me. <_<)

5 Likes being lazy, again whippets sound awesome for me, but they look kind weird to me and my family only has one car, so while I could walk the ball of fluff around the street no problem. I can't really run forever and ever with them as there aren't any fields etc I could take them to on a random day, and my backyard is 1 filled with poison ivy, 2 has 3 feet of leaves in it, 3 again poison ivy, 4 is pretty small.

6 Not a retriever, this is NOT for the reason/s you think. I will say this, I love golden retrievers and labs, they look like fwuffy bundles of love that are sunshine and puppies, and LGBT kittens, but they're sort of prone to species inbreeding in general to the point where *BOLDED SUPER DEPRESSING FACT INCOMING, SKIP TO THE NEXT NUMBER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE INSIDE A LOT* about 60% of them will die of cancer. *SUPER BOLDED LETTERS SO YOU DON'T SEE THE DEPRESSING FACT WHILE LOOKING AT #7*

7 I am again not big on appearances but prefer that the puppy have triangleish ears, not forced to be that shape due to painful BS that some cruel people forced them to go through, also the fluff creature could preferably come in white-gold because it triggers something in me to instantly go "awww! LET ME HAVE THAT PUPPY SO I CAN LOVE IT"

8 Smart, I do not want to deal with a dog that is not smart enough to wonder where the bowl went after I accidentally tapped it in some direction, also I want to be able to train my bundle of love to use a human toilet, which with training should not be THAT hard.

9 Has some kind of bite/mouth that looks scary enough to be afraid of if someone I really hate is making me mad.

Dog breeds I have already looked at but get rejected because of one reason or another sadly mostly because they get moneyandpainitis/hipdisplasia....everything I want to love dies of expensiveness *cries*

1 Caucasian Shepards caucasian shepard puppy 2.jpg They are big, fluffy bundles of love that would be PERFECT for me.....except they're sort of territorial, and shed a lot....and get hip displasia....Otherwise they're perfect, they're big (can be taller than a human if they stand up) are pretty loving and good with children, and have a NASTY set of teeth, because I forgot to mention something, they were BRED TO HUNT FREAKING BEARS. Seriously look at an adult angry one, I think any burglar would drop the TV if they saw this. angry caucasian shepard 1.jpg

2 German Shepards I wanted one of these mixed with a whippet really bad years ago, before I found out about Caucasian shepherds, it would fix all of the problems.....except for hip displasia, back problems, eye problems including eye swelling, hip displaysia, and back and hip problems, because why should a fluffy and smart bundle of love be free from going blind then dying slowly as they become in able to walk?
Seriously who would not want this puppy unless you knew they would be uber expensive due to super inevitable expensive medical conditions? puppy head tilt.JPG

3 Whippets again, perfect dog, doesn't need a lot of space, is lazy like me, can be uber lazy and let me be on my computer, and barely sheds. The problem is 1 they see everything small at moving as something they have to hunt and slaughtmurder, and thus view cats and yap dogs as things they have to hunt, (ok the last part I don't mind with the neighbor's dogs, but in the dog park this would be a problem) 2 they're fluffyless, and 3 I want a bundle of fluff like a caucasian Shepard....not the blue dog from Clifford come to life in gray and white. blue dog from clifford.png

4 Huskys this was my third last google search before I gave up and decided that it was probably better to ask here for advice. They were sort of my back up dog search after German Shepards really did turn out to be full of medical problems.....they try to eat everything and I forget what I got crossed with malamutes, point is not getting one.

5 Malamutes they were my back up plan to huskys in my search for some cute and fluffy dog with cute triangle ears....they require a lot of space to run around....constantly, to which I replied "LOL".

6 Golden Cocker Retrievers, I cannot express my emotions or describe how something that's also known as a "forever puppy" can get medical issues while permanently looking this cute, looking at the health issues made me depressed for today. LOOK AT THEM, they stay like this, FOREVER.forever puppy 1.jpg
7 Chimeras, I've looked into it, but it seems that I love my mom too much to get one....nina and white dog 1.jpg
Lastly if you've made it this far, the dog at the second last panel of this webcomic is why I am naming a future black dog with a white/tan belly Pancakes.
inspector pancakes webcomic.png

The tone I'm getting from the beginning of your post is one of entertainment (you want a puppy because they're cute and fun) and money concerns (but you can't really afford a lot), so the first thing I would recommend is to that you put some research into how much money (and effort) dogs cost, not just to adopt/purchase at the start, but as a long-term investment. Your listed desired dog traits are incredibly superficial and make me feel like you're not taking this seriously at all.

Dogs are fluffy bundles of happiness and joy, but they are also a serious responsibility and commitment, not just a toy to play with. Food, toys, training, vet care, medicine/vaccinations, etc. are all things your dog is going to need. Especially if you want a larger dog (like you mention), those things can seriously eat, and cheap pet food is filled with filler that will make your dog unhealthy in the long run. Pure breed dogs are indeed more prone to health concerns than mutts, but any dog could get sick, or have an accident or long-term illness, and if you know in advance that you won't be able to afford care/insurance for these kind of events, then you should probably reconsider things significantly. And this isn't even getting to the effort to walk and care for a dog, and train them (dogs that are friendly and well-behaved come as a result of training more than breed behavior), which is something you will have to make sure is taken care of properly while you're working.

In short, nothing about your post makes me think that owning a real dog is really right for you. If you want something large and fluffy that doesn't require money or care, you're probably better off getting a big stuffed animal.

The tone I'm getting from the beginning of your post is one of entertainment (you want a puppy because they're cute and fun) and money concerns (but you can't really afford a lot), so the first thing I would recommend is to that you put some research into how much money (and effort) dogs cost, not just to adopt/purchase at the start, but as a long-term investment. Your listed desired dog traits are incredibly superficial and make me feel like you're not taking this seriously at all.

Dogs are fluffy bundles of happiness and joy, but they are also a serious responsibility and commitment, not just a toy to play with. Food, toys, training, vet care, medicine/vaccinations, etc. are all things your dog is going to need. Especially if you want a larger dog (like you mention), those things can seriously eat, and cheap pet food is filled with filler that will make your dog unhealthy in the long run. Pure breed dogs are indeed more prone to health concerns than mutts, but any dog could get sick, or have an accident or long-term illness, and if you know in advance that you won't be able to afford care/insurance for these kind of events, then you should probably reconsider things significantly. And this isn't even getting to the effort to walk and care for a dog, and train them (dogs that are friendly and well-behaved come as a result of training more than breed behavior), which is something you will have to make sure is taken care of properly while you're working.

In short, nothing about your post makes me think that owning a real dog is really right for you. If you want something large and fluffy that doesn't require money or care, you're probably better off getting a big stuffed animal.
I'm 18 and fully know what I'm in for. Also the bundle of love should help me with what remains of my PTSD, and depression, besides I already have a giant plush dog. : P And again I have done my research, and I do know the cost of owning a dog etc, I have price checked everything and know not only where to get a dog bed, but where it should be and the size ratios of cages and beds per dog size. I even know the cost of vaccines, dog licensing in my area + leash laws, pet poison control numbers, what to call the vet for (if your dog so much as sneezes 3 different times in 5 minutes call them, they WILL have something nasty that's best treated soon or will cause canine sadorganosis).

The only thing that's really superficial is the pointed ears thing, I just think it makes them look cuter and can deal without it. However, making my mom feel safe running with a big freaking dog that can devour your soul, and making me feel safe walking them at night is not.

As for pet insurance last time I checked it was for dogs with a lot of problems that see medical expenses a lot etc. For pet food I am aware of not only what to look for in the wording of the nutrition "information" (it's pretty lose and you would NOT see that kind of labeling on human food), and that in large dog food diets there is more protein and fat which is not as easily digested by medium-small dogs and is thus not recommended as the proteins are not as easily digested and bay not only lead to obesity but nasty stomach pains etc for your fluff creature.

Lastly, I may joke about things, like why I would not like a talking white dog that can say the names of anime characters, I do take my stuff seriously, humor just makes normally boring paragraphs of information interesting, and DO know what I'm talking about. Seriously, what's wrong about adding how I want my dog to be able to be big, fluffy, and still be able to defend themselves (I do NOT want a I am always being attacked guard dog, I just want one where if they had to the scars they make would definitely slow my attacker down), why should every sentence be uber serious and boring, that's what humor does, it makes things more interesting to read and enjoyable for the reader. I even know the contracts and legal documents I will have to sign with my parents so that at least one of them is also legally responsible for them in the event of accident or injury. Want me to tell you the exact rate at which puppies should be switched to dry food or the formula for "puppy mush" because I can do it, (the first step is NOT making it out of puppies) and what to expect from puppies when they are new etc. Do you want me to take a quiz or test? Because I have skype and teamspeak and can do this via mic in real time if you want.

Last edited:
Source for this post: I have a dog, so I've gone through all the things you have in the lead up to getting the dog and more. I also raised this dog from a puppy.

The first thing I want to say is this: Dogs are not a science and you can't really read about how to care for them. Every breed is different, and every dog within that breed is even more different. Random measurements you've found on the internet are pretty much worthless and you shouldn't stick to them, but they can be a rough guideline if you're nervous about what to do.

Dogs are also HUGE financial sinks. Honestly? $250 will only just about cover the costs of a dog for like 2 months max including starting costs. A dog cage is 50-60 dollars and a dog bed is 45-50. Toys go for about 10 dollars each and you'll have to replace them way more often than you would think. Chew toys in particular can go for more like 15 dollars and they are used up faster than other toys too. Dog food is also about 3 times more expensive than human food, and I'd imagine dog shampoo is the same (though my dog's aquaphobic so I don't know :p). Flea medicine is 15-20 dollars and you have to apply it monthly. Rent prices go up with dogs, too, so if you're renting where you live, the landlord can easily charge you 150+ dollars a month, and if you don't tell him you've bought one it's fraudulent and you can be kicked out if the landlord finds out. Skimping out on quality because you can't afford it will harm the health of your dog, because there are heartless businesspeople out there who don't care about it. Before you take on the responsibility of a dog, you have to ensure you are in a stable enough position financially to support it. A dog's carbon footprint is greater than that of a car's and a baby's for a reason.
As for pet insurance last time I checked it was for dogs with a lot of problems that see medical expenses a lot etc. For pet food I am aware of not only what to look for in the wording of the nutrition "information" (it's pretty lose and you would NOT see that kind of labeling on human food), and that in large dog food diets there is more protein and fat which is not as easily digested by medium-small dogs and is thus not recommended as the proteins are not as easily digested and bay not only lead to obesity but nasty stomach pains etc for your fluff creature.
No, your dog needs pet insurance. Vet bills will be too high for you to afford without it and they're still far too costly with it (they pay for like the first 150 dollars if your dog needs surgery and that's it, you're stuck with the rest). I don't know if it's the same in America, but in the UK your dog will need insurance to get a regular medical, which is an important thing to do, as the grooming that occurs there stops your dog from getting skin infections. Your vet is also key for tick removals; if you walk your dog regularly, expect to be visiting the vet to get them to remove ticks a lot, and make sure you regularly check your dog for them.

As for your question at hand, having preconceived opinions about what kind of dog you want is IMO not the way to go about it. Honestly I question how good a dog owner would be if they adopt the dog based on their looks and their breed. Dogs are living things. They have emotions and they will seek to create a bond with you stronger than any other bond you will have in your life. Trivial things like the amount of hair the dog sheds and the shape of their ears is completely irrelevant. All dogs malt seasonally and unless you actually shave your dog, you're going to be vaccuuming a lot. There's no alternative.

Common conceptions say that breeds dictate behaviour. This is untrue. The dangerous dogs act is decided by the potential harm a dog can cause, which in other words just means if the breed is capable of locking its jaw or not. An akita won't murder a baby any more often than a labrador, despite the former being legally decreed as a "dangerous dog". How you train and treat your dog will have an effect on its behaviour, and dogs will also simply be naturally born with more or less aggression and lateral thinking skills than other dogs. The breed of the dog is merely physical, because the brains of all dogs are so different from one another, and just like in humans the genetics of every dog are completely different too. The difference between the appearance of two breeds of dog being greater than the difference between two races in humans doesn't mean that the difference mentally between two breeds of dog is also greater, because that's not the case. Your points 2, 4, 5 and 8 show that you are unaware of this. Don't believe everything you read on the internet and culture in general, because it's ever-changing.

I've actually written an essay on the above paragraph before for my Philosophy & Ethics class, and it's a matter that actually affects me quite a bit because my dog is a cross between a rottweiler and a Staffordshire bull terrier, which are two breeds that are infamous for their "violence". However, for example, the Staffordshire bull terrier used to be nicknamed the "nanny dog" because it was depicted as being extremely loving and soft around children, and I can vouch that my dog is that, though naturally the breed has no bearing on its behaviour to that extent. There was a staffordshire bull terrier who at some point in history was "evil" and "scary" and I think it killed someone because it has the ability to lock its jaw and its owner trained the dog to bite down and lock its jaw. Since then the breed has had a reputation of being a murderous devil dog.

Instances like this are why I'm telling you that dogs aren't a science and that breeds don't affect as much as you think they do. Fine, if you're sure that you're in a financially stable enough position that you can own a dog, pick one which has a lower likelihood of dying young and having back problems (but that chance is never 0). Don't pick one because of a random rumour you found circulating online that the breed is the nicest breed ever and they are incapable of biting humans. Said rumour are far too prolific and none of them are true.

Last edited:
Source for this post: I have a dog, so I've gone through all the things you have in the lead up to getting the dog and more. I also raised this dog from a puppy.

The first thing I want to say is this: Dogs are not a science and you can't really read about how to care for them. Every breed is different, and every dog within that breed is even more different. Random measurements you've found on the internet are pretty much worthless and you shouldn't stick to them, but they can be a rough guideline if you're nervous about what to do.

Dogs are also HUGE financial sinks. Honestly? $250 will only just about cover the costs of a dog for like 2 months max including starting costs. A dog cage is 50-60 dollars and a dog bed is 45-50. Toys go for about 10 dollars each and you'll have to replace them way more often than you would think. Chew toys in particular can go for more like 15 dollars and they are used up faster than other toys too. Dog food is also about 3 times more expensive than human food, and I'd imagine dog shampoo is the same (though my dog's aquaphobic so I don't know :p). Flea medicine is 15-20 dollars and you have to apply it monthly. Rent prices go up with dogs, too, so if you're renting where you live, the landlord can easily charge you 150+ dollars a month, and if you don't tell him you've bought one it's fraudulent and you can be kicked out if the landlord finds out. Skimping out on quality because you can't afford it will harm the health of your dog, because there are heartless businesspeople out there who don't care about it. Before you take on the responsibility of a dog, you have to ensure you are in a stable enough position financially to support it. A dog's carbon footprint is greater than that of a car's and a baby's for a reason.

No, your dog needs pet insurance. Vet bills will be too high for you to afford without it and they're still far too costly with it (they pay for like the first 150 dollars if your dog needs surgery and that's it, you're stuck with the rest). I don't know if it's the same in America, but in the UK your dog will need insurance to get a regular medical, which is an important thing to do, as the grooming that occurs there stops your dog from getting skin infections. Your vet is also key for tick removals; if you walk your dog regularly, expect to be visiting the vet to get them to remove ticks a lot, and make sure you regularly check your dog for them.

As for your question at hand, having preconceived opinions about what kind of dog you want is IMO not the way to go about it. Honestly I question how good a dog owner would be if they adopt the dog based on their looks and their breed. Dogs are living things. They have emotions and they will seek to create a bond with you stronger than any other bond you will have in your life. Trivial things like the amount of hair the dog sheds and the shape of their ears is completely irrelevant. All dogs malt seasonally and unless you actually shave your dog, you're going to be vaccuuming a lot. There's no alternative.

Common conceptions say that breeds dictate behaviour. This is untrue. The dangerous dogs act is decided by the potential harm a dog can cause, which in other words just means if the breed is capable of locking its jaw or not. An akita won't murder a baby any more often than a labrador, despite the former being legally decreed as a "dangerous dog". How you train and treat your dog will have an effect on its behaviour, and dogs will also simply be naturally born with more or less aggression and lateral thinking skills than other dogs. The breed of the dog is merely physical, because the brains of all dogs are so different from one another, and just like in humans the genetics of every dog are completely different too. The difference between the appearance of two breeds of dog being greater than the difference between two races in humans doesn't mean that the difference mentally between two breeds of dog is also greater, because that's not the case. Your points 2, 4, 5 and 8 show that you are unaware of this. Don't believe everything you read on the internet and culture in general, because it's ever-changing.

I've actually written an essay on the above paragraph before for my Philosophy & Ethics class, and it's a matter that actually affects me quite a bit because my dog is a cross between a rottweiler and a Staffordshire bull terrier, which are two breeds that are infamous for their "violence". However, for example, the Staffordshire bull terrier used to be nicknamed the "nanny dog" because it was depicted as being extremely loving and soft around children, and I can vouch that my dog is that, though naturally the breed has no bearing on its behaviour to that extent. There was a staffordshire bull terrier who at some point in history was "evil" and "scary" and I think it killed someone because it has the ability to lock its jaw and its owner trained the dog to bite down and lock its jaw. Since then it's had a reputation of being a murderous devil dog.

Instances like this are why I'm telling you that dogs aren't a science and that breeds don't affect as much as you think they do. Fine, if you're sure that you're in a financially stable enough position that you can own a dog, pick one which has a lower likelihood of dying young and having back problems (but that chance is never 0). Don't pick one because of a random rumour you found circulating online that the breed is the nicest breed ever and they are incapable of biting humans. Said rumour are far too prolific and none of them are true.
Ok, wow the prices are different in the UK (probably because they don't get everything from china like the US does), the way I planned on getting around the whole expensive first 2 months of EVERYTHING expenses was via adopt from a shelter, or breed organization thingy (I forget the exact term, they take abandoned fluff creatures and make sure they go to loving homes and let the new owners know everything they can about them, such as family history etc so that they can go to a good homes etc) because as far as research goes they will have at least given them shots etc first. And after 1 month of getting the fluff creature used to the new house I plan on working and being rewarded by bundles of love when I get home, and the fluff ball gets treated well as I have my mom take care of them, so I can help afford my everything for the dog, and not feel worn out/feel like I'm repeating of my 5 months of hell in public highschool.

Here is how I plan on using cheap materials I have hoarded for when they become useful that should help me with my (hopefully) puppy, or shelter dog.
Guard gates for in house use = massive amounts of empty cereal boxes' cardboard I've hoarded in the event that I could make some cool floating side table thing taped to my computer desk and the wall (I had AWESOME plans for this), for this it would simply be tying/taping the cardboard to whatever needs to be blocked. Yes I am aware the dogs can even chew through concrete, but that's why you use LOTS of layers of cardboard that's easily replaceable.

Dog bed = cheap dog bed + stuffing from out of shape pillows I have + orthopedic foam I got recently + cedar planks/balls in the lining of the bed (under it/middle so Pancakes can't feel them) to repel fleas etc, inside the cheap dog bed.

Control shedding inside = taking mx fwuffy and after brushing them well outside, use my hair dryer to blow the fur away and outside + it will help them feel safe as their scent is all over the area, thus causing them to not feel a need to mark their territory....IF and only IF someone clears this, like a vet or shelter workers think it's a good idea I switch hair dryer to leaf blower (yes the fluff beast will have earmuffs on them/cotton in their ears) to really purge out the extra fluff.

Also, questions for @Celever about your fluff beast:
1 If you are walking with your dog and you meet an idiot (like me playing forum games badly idiot), how does your dog express your apathy? IE if a dog would growl at someone you want to slap for being a horrible person? What do they do when you meet someone that goes on a diatribe as to how Mega Sharpedo should be banned to Uber because it can kill a mega mewtwo Y in just 3 uses of Crunch?
2 To prevent ticks does putting on a poncho for them work as it's sort of a layer of plastic (they're plastic in the US) that separates them from the animal?
3 As I am aware of the multiple different kinds of chew toys and how many of them can say they're long lasting and cost $20 more, have you tried Nylon bones? I ask because I am hopefully getting a Caucasian shepard mixed with whippet because fluffiness and low shedding are awesome, but as you saw above those shepards have teeth that can hunt....bears.

As for the thing about breeds being more like general race in dogs, I really like that perspective, as it is likely to be lots of training and some instinct, thank you for that. : )

Ok, wow the prices are different in the UK (probably because they don't get everything from china like the US does), the way I planned on getting around the whole expensive first 2 months of EVERYTHING expenses was via adopt from a shelter, or breed organization thingy (I forget the exact term, they take abandoned fluff creatures and make sure they go to loving homes and let the new owners know everything they can about them, such as family history etc so that they can go to a good homes etc) because as far as research goes they will have at least given them shots etc first. And after 1 month of getting the fluff creature used to the new house I plan on working and being rewarded by bundles of love when I get home, and the fluff ball gets treated well as I have my mom take care of them, so I can help afford my everything for the dog, and not feel worn out/feel like I'm repeating of my 5 months of hell in public highschool.
I actually got the prices I used in the post off online retailers like Amazon. The equipment I bought for my dog was roughly the same price if not a little more in local shops in my area like Pets at Home (IDK if you have that in America though).
Here is how I plan on using cheap materials I have hoarded for when they become useful that should help me with my (hopefully) puppy, or shelter dog.
Guard gates for in house use = massive amounts of empty cereal boxes' cardboard I've hoarded in the event that I could make some cool floating side table thing taped to my computer desk and the wall (I had AWESOME plans for this), for this it would simply be tying/taping the cardboard to whatever needs to be blocked. Yes I am aware the dogs can even chew through concrete, but that's why you use LOTS of layers of cardboard that's easily replaceable.

Dog bed = cheap dog bed + stuffing from out of shape pillows I have + orthopedic foam I got recently + cedar planks/balls in the lining of the bed (under it/middle so Pancakes can't feel them) to repel fleas etc, inside the cheap dog bed.

Control shedding inside = taking mx fwuffy and after brushing them well outside, use my hair dryer to blow the fur away and outside + it will help them feel safe as their scent is all over the area, thus causing them to not feel a need to mark their territory....IF and only IF someone clears this, like a vet or shelter workers think it's a good idea I switch hair dryer to leaf blower (yes the fluff beast will have earmuffs on them/cotton in their ears) to really purge out the extra fluff.
These are all decent ideas. Personally I don't think guard gates are worth anything and I give my dog free roam of the house, but I understand others don't feel the same way. The thing is, is that many dogs are actually very good jumpers (my dog jumps above my head if I also jump and I'm about 6 foot lol) so putting in guard gates just makes it more likely for the dog to injure itself, since if it wants to get to wear you're trying to block it from going to it will get there. If the gate's made of cardboard, the dog will probably just knock it over or run through it, since you said you favour larger dogs over smaller ones :p.

My dog's dog bed is just an old recycled pouf my neighbour had and a large duvet we got dry cleaned before giving it to him. To that extent a new dog bed isn't necessary, but if you're intending on making your dog lie on the bed a lot, the higher quality would be worth it because of wear and tear. My dog rarely uses its bed, which is why it's kinda small and just a place where he can feel safe.

You can't control shedding, and I can't stress this enough. Dogs don't have control over how they malt and it's not actually a way for them to mark their territory like you seem to think it is. It's the same thing as birds discarding old feathers -- they simply get rid of the old hairs in place of new cleaner, fresher and stronger hairs. Giving them a strong brush outside isn't a bad idea, and some dogs like being blow dried. Some dogs hate it, though, and I don't think any dogs would ever allow themselves to be blown on with a leaf blower. Also, all dogs hate having anything touching their head like ear muffs and endeavour to remove it as fast as possible -- at least all dogs I've talked about with people, which is certainly a few. Dogs are also oftentimes prone to ear infections, so the less you mess around with it (and definitely the less cotton you insert into it) the better. Otherwise, you're gonna have to buy some pretty costly medicine. If you don't want dog hairs around the house, don't get a dog.
Also, questions for @Celever about your fluff beast:
1 If you are walking with your dog and you meet an idiot (like me playing forum games badly idiot), how does your dog express your apathy? IE if a dog would growl at someone you want to slap for being a horrible person? What do they do when you meet someone that goes on a diatribe as to how Mega Sharpedo should be banned to Uber because it can kill a mega mewtwo Y in just 3 uses of Crunch?
Well, my dog doesn't care much about Pokémon, so I don't think he'd get too mad at someone talking about banning Mega Sharpedo to Ubers! You're correct in that dogs are extremely empathetic with their owners and they pick up on your emotions like a Ralts would. If you become apprehensive and panicky, the dog will try to protect you. Generally the best thing to do if your dog is around is to just remain as calm as possible. Personally my dog isn't very vocal, so he rarely if ever growls at anyone unless they're play fighting with him. If your dog has passive aggressiveness towards humans, you just need to try and not have it around you while you're meeting idiots, because laws on dogs are IMO far too severe and if the person in question is a really bad idiot, they have a decent chance of getting your fluffball put down if they claim they were bitten by it. An electrician once tried this with us, but we managed to defend our puppy adequately enough, primarily by claiming we were still training him as he was still young. The electrician, however, wasn't bitten. *Celever explodes with anger thinking about the situation*
2 To prevent ticks does putting on a poncho for them work as it's sort of a layer of plastic (they're plastic in the US) that separates them from the animal?
Maybe. Personally I don't really know, but a poncho to me sounds like a bad idea. If it's plastic the dog might take a major disliking to it (in which case it'd just be better to take it off them and not use it again). It might restrict their mobility while they're running around. Ticks primarily attack to a dog's underbelly if there's any loose skin with blood there, so the poncho probably wouldn't protect that region very well anyway.
3 As I am aware of the multiple different kinds of chew toys and how many of them can say they're long lasting and cost $20 more, have you tried Nylon bones? I ask because I am hopefully getting a Caucasian shepard mixed with whippet because fluffiness and low shedding are awesome, but as you saw above those shepards have teeth that can hunt....bears.
I don't like nylon dog bones because they're synthetic and dogs aren't as biologically adept at ingesting them as they are regular animal hide, which is what most chew toys are made of. I tried a nylon bone with my dog before and it actually ended up splintering into fairly sharp edges which I felt was a safety hazard and could have cut my dog's gums, so I got rid of them. Raw hide works just fine and generally lasts a dog about two weeks if you're keeping them active, as they won't have a lot of time and energy invested into the toy. While I'm on the topic of chew toys though, dental hygiene in dogs is important, so buying Dentastix or whatever your nearest supermarket's budget version of Dentastix is very important, and you should strive to give one to your dog every day. If your dog's teeth begin to blunt, it affects your dog negatively in several ways.
As for the thing about breeds being more like general race in dogs, I really like that perspective, as it is likely to be lots of training and some instinct, thank you for that. : )
No problem! I think it's good that you were receptive to the idea TBH, because a lot of dog owners I've met are very traditional and set in their ways with their minds plagued by media representation of dog ownership and a huge lack of rationality and common sense. :p

Gahhh why does the only source of Caucasian shephards have to be 3 states away (they don't exist in my state, I've TRIED), whyyyyyy?

Ok, now to go to 50k websites, find one that doesn't sound like they copy and pasted the same 3 stories with different names, and hope that they don't come from a mill...wish me luck.

Edit: found the ONE caucasian shepard in the entire search on petfinder.....they require a 6 ft fence. WHYYYYYYY!?!?!?

Update: Said caucasian shephard is......in Canada...FML

Last edited:
One thing that helped me train my dog was crating her from a young age. It trained her to know that if no one else was home, it was nap time. It helped during her puppy time, making sure I wouldn't return home to find chaos from her getting mischievous or curious. Now that she is older, she simply looks for a nice place to nap when no one is home.
However, when she was a puppy, in Canada with my family living in an apartment, walking her 8+ times a day to house train her (by basically eliminating any possibility that she would have to to her business indoors) was a chore, especially with my son being a newborn at the time.
My dog requires constant attention and I would have gone broke had I not had pet insurance in the first few months. She fell desperately ill and I would not have been able to afford the veterinary bills without it.
Recently I spent several thousand dollars to have a shattered tooth removed from her mouth to prevent infection, but I am much better able to afford these things 8 years later. (Pet insurance was only going for the first year or so). Veterinary services in Canada are unregulated, much like the American health care system so it is stupidly expensive.
Annually I spend an average of 3-400 dollars on veterinary services and vaccinations, including things like 'Revolution' a topical parasiticide which protects her from things like ticks and fleas during the summer months and screening for heartworms which are absolutely non-optional for any dog. Of course there are surprises, like her shattered tooth, which was infected and we opted to have removed, rather than treat the infection and hope it didn't return.
You may have to neuter or spay the animal you buy, which is highly recommended for first time pet owners. Of course there may be dissenting opinions on this, but it's my opinion that only experienced handlers and breeders are prepared to deal with un-fixed animals.
Anyhow. My family really doesn't notice when I return home from work, but my dog certainly does. She's a pleasure to have around.

I say this as a pet owner that had to saddle my own parents with my "furbabies" because I thought I was ready when I wasn't: you don't sound ready.

I'm 18 and...

...and that only impresses people who are younger than you. Want to be better than me? Learn not to use it as part of your arguments unless truly relevant. When trying to insist how informed, wise or mature one is, it usually backfires. ;)

Okay, onto the matter at hand, I recommend against getting yourself a pet. Take it from a guy who calls himself "otaku" for that very reason: you're obsessed! I know you don't want to hear it but we are dealing with another living creature. You need a good, reliable home and it doesn't sound like you have one. My family still has to delay repairs because sometimes the money just is not there. I grew up at your family's economic level (give or take) and yes we had pets. The outdoor one was a necessity; it was a family farm and a farm dog is needed to keep away many pests (and sometimes things far more dangerous than pests). The indoor ones were a mistake because we struggled to take care of them and the house.

Eventually I had to move in with an older relative who could not have pets where she lived. Hence my parents being stuck with them. You may have a lot of knowledge about certain aspects of owning and raising a dog, but the experience is best gotten by helping someone else with their dog. Having a pet is a bit like having a toddler that never grows up. There are obvious differences between humans and dogs, but net result is that this is a huge responsibility that a lot of pet owners think they are ready for, but are not (myself included!). When you've got a steady income, reliable living situation, no outstanding debt, about six months of savings should you lose your job or whatever source of income you have coming in and on top of that have at least a $500 emergency fund, then you'll still need to have the amount of time a dog demands. Dogs are social animals. Is this pet going to have to live outside? If it is just something to show you affection when you get home, go with a cat. Yes, they can show affection to their owners; it largely has to do with understanding them properly. One of mine that is sadly no longer with us used to stand on his hindquarters and wave his forepaws in the air to ask for me to pick him up when I got home from work!

I say this as a pet owner that had to saddle my own parents with my "furbabies" because I thought I was ready when I wasn't: you don't sound ready.

...and that only impresses people who are younger than you. Want to be better than me? Learn not to use it as part of your arguments unless truly relevant. When trying to insist how informed, wise or mature one is, it usually backfires. ;)

Okay, onto the matter at hand, I recommend against getting yourself a pet. Take it from a guy who calls himself "otaku" for that very reason: you're obsessed! I know you don't want to hear it but we are dealing with another living creature. You need a good, reliable home and it doesn't sound like you have one. My family still has to delay repairs because sometimes the money just is not there. I grew up at your family's economic level (give or take) and yes we had pets. The outdoor one was a necessity; it was a family farm and a farm dog is needed to keep away many pests (and sometimes things far more dangerous than pests). The indoor ones were a mistake because we struggled to take care of them and the house.

Eventually I had to move in with an older relative who could not have pets where she lived. Hence my parents being stuck with them. You may have a lot of knowledge about certain aspects of owning and raising a dog, but the experience is best gotten by helping someone else with their dog. Having a pet is a bit like having a toddler that never grows up. There are obvious differences between humans and dogs, but net result is that this is a huge responsibility that a lot of pet owners think they are ready for, but are not (myself included!). When you've got a steady income, reliable living situation, no outstanding debt, about six months of savings should you lose your job or whatever source of income you have coming in and on top of that have at least a $500 emergency fund, then you'll still need to have the amount of time a dog demands. Dogs are social animals. Is this pet going to have to live outside? If it is just something to show you affection when you get home, go with a cat. Yes, they can show affection to their owners; it largely has to do with understanding them properly. One of mine that is sadly no longer with us used to stand on his hindquarters and wave his forepaws in the air to ask for me to pick him up when I got home from work!
The age thing was to show that it wasn't some 6 yr old typing this as I've been talked down to before because people thought I was younger. Secondly my dad is allergic to cats so I can't have one. Thirdly we do have a home that can have a dog in it, we just have to clean it up a bit, plus there's a dog park 10 minutes from our house that's pretty huge. Lastly my family has agreed that in about 3 months we will be ready to get a dog/puppy and that we will be able to take good care of them etc and afford it.

The age thing was to show that it wasn't some 6 yr old typing this as I've been talked down to before because people thought I was younger. Secondly my dad is allergic to cats so I can't have one. Thirdly we do have a home that can have a dog in it, we just have to clean it up a bit, plus there's a dog park 10 minutes from our house that's pretty huge. Lastly my family has agreed that in about 3 months we will be ready to get a dog/puppy and that we will be able to take good care of them etc and afford it.

What kind of dog are you wanting? Because different breeds also have different temperaments. An Alaskan Husky is more high strung and active compared to something like a Pug. Smaller dogs tend to be easier to manage but can be harder to train while larger dogs tend to be more manage due to their shorter lifespan. Another thing to take in to account is common illnesses in certain breeds. Huskies tend to have eye problems while Golden Retrievers may have more issues with things like Arthritis, or a Pincer being more prone to heart conditions.

The size of the home is another factor too as well so keep that in mind as well. If you're honestly wanting a dog, a German Shepard, Collie, Golden Retriever, Rat Terriers, and Labs are all good starter dogs and are fairly easy to train.

The age thing was to show that it wasn't some 6 yr old typing this as I've been talked down to before because people thought I was younger.

And instead it made you sound like you had the mindset of someone younger than you are. I am not trying to scold you, I am just telling you how it read. Including all those times I have also assumed people were mistaking me for someone younger and tried to counter in the same way. The issue is that your post reads like someone who thinks they know what they are talking about but lacks a lot of the practical experience. That doesn't change whether you are 8 or 18 or 80. :)

Secondly my dad is allergic to cats so I can't have one.

Bummer. What about other pets though? Did I mess up and this is a mostly or purely outdoor pet? If so move on. Otherwise
How many pets have you owned before? I would just start with something smaller (and that doesn't live as long) at first. That way if you find out you hate owning a pet (seriously, you can love animals but hate actually having your own) instead of committing to caring for something that might live 20 more years, you only have to deal with something that will live for two. This also can help you appreciate it when you do get a pet with a longer life.

Thirdly we do have a home that can have a dog in it, we just have to clean it up a bit...
...but you also emphasized your family income in that you couldn't afford to maintain the home, or at least it takes a lot of time for things to get repaired while your family saves up to handle it. Which again is how I grew up. Then I found out the idea is that you save up first and have an emergency fund plus insurance to cover these kinds of things. If you can't, then it really helps to adjust accordingly.

...plus there's a dog park 10 minutes from our house that's pretty huge.

Which isn't the same as living in a home with a large enough yard you never have to lose 10 minutes walking to the dog park and another 10 minutes walking back. You'll need to clear almost an hour to make it worth going to the dog park. Can it be done? Absolutely! I just want to make sure you realize that going in. Sorry, but a lot of your excitement makes you sound like me when I fixate on something I want. That is a bad thing. XD I often would push and push and come up with arguments why something was okay or even a good idea and it turns out I was blind to the drawbacks because I wanted it so bad. ^^'

Lastly my family has agreed that in about 3 months we will be ready to get a dog/puppy and that we will be able to take good care of them etc and afford it.

Then wait three months. No, really. Just wait three months if your family is going to be able to provide for it. Also if you do get a pet, make sure you look for someone trying to find a new home for theirs even before you go to the shelter. Obviously there will be plenty that are poor fits, but if you are a little lucky you'll find a dog that is already somewhat trained, has its shots and where you won't have to pay anything to get it. You'll still need the money for food and the like, but again shots and vital bits may be included.

Back