Advice of Buying a Booster Box (not re: seller, but set)

C

cotguy130

I'm looking to buy some boxes for my son and I. I'm going to assume that rotation will be Platinum on.

Could I get some opinions or ratings on the sets (PL-HGSSU) as far a possibly getting the best cards for competitive play?

Platinum for the SP tools and the next set with Gengar Prime. Also, some RR Drill Point Theme Decks.

Here are some of the good sets that will probably stay in the format:
Platinum: Has most of the SP engine, and has many great SP Pokemon like Dialga G and Palkia G.
Rising Rivals: Has good trainers like Bebe's Search and SP Radar. It also has Luxray GL Lv.x and Flygon Lv.x, which are really good cards currently.
Heartgold/Soulsilver: Has many great Trainers, plus most of the Primes are good.
Unleashed: Same as above, except the LEGENDS are actually playable.
Hope this helps!

Platinum - Trainers & SP engines
RR - Flygon! Luxray! Bebes! MUST HAVE.
HGSS - Donphan prime, good supporters/trainers.
HSU - Playable legends, good primes and rare candy!

Also get a few starter decks after for the energies youll need for your deck.

The main one would be Rising Rivals for Luxray GL Lv X as that is currently the hottest card on the market, and Platinum has all your SP Needs as SP Decks are hot right now with Dialga G Lv X and Crobat G...
But the newer stuff is looking good as well with the Primes, Especially Kingdra Prime...;)

hgss and unleashed.
i like to keep consistent with the new card designs and layouts
plus theres some really good trainer and prime cards.
awesome and consistant artwork thoughout an evolution line too.

RE: Advice of Buying a Booster Box (not seller, but set)

ogeray said:
hgss and unleashed.
i like to keep consistent with the new card designs and layouts
plus theres some really good trainer and prime cards.
awesome and consistant artwork thoughout an evolution line too.

Also HGSS and HGUL are good bets because you know they probably won't be rotated out for at least a year... As it stands now, no one knows for sure what is being rotated out and thus might be unusable in tourneys and such... I myself have just gotten back in the game and bought a box of each (which come in today) because they are the safest choice.

chrlrssll said:
Also HGSS and HGUL are good bets because you know they probably won't be rotated out for at least a year... As it stands now, no one knows for sure what is being rotated out and thus might be unusable in tourneys and such... I myself have just gotten back in the game and bought a box of each (which come in today) because they are the safest choice.
It's still 99% going to be Plat-on. There's no reason for them to leave in older sets. I personally would have liked one more HGSS set before rotation so they could do HGSS on, but they can't do it when there will only be three sets (One brand new) at the time of rotation.)

That being said, I'd go for UL and RR. They've got the best trading fodder to get what else you need.

HikaruAyame said:
It's still 99% going to be Plat-on. There's no reason for them to leave in older sets. I personally would have liked one more HGSS set before rotation so they could do HGSS on, but they can't do it when there will only be three sets (One brand new) at the time of rotation.)

That being said, I'd go for UL and RR. They've got the best trading fodder to get what else you need.
Its not 99% anything, its just speculation.

Now. A lot of people say RR for Luxray and Flygon X. But think. There are 9 Xs in this set, and you will pull 2 a box. So the chances of pulling the best Xs from a set are not that high. I mean its not worth it to buy this set.

I say buy a box of HGSS and HSU. With these sets combined, you can have a great card pool to get into the game. Copycat, PONT(Professor Oaks New Theory), Judge, Engineers Adjustment, Pokemon Communication, Rare candy, the list goes on. While some of these aren't the top tier trainers, they are decent for beginners.

Back