Discussion Ace Spec wishes/hopes/ideas

LightYearLiam

So we know Ace Specs are gonna come back (I don't think we know exactly when) and I think a lot about what kind of cards I would enjoy seeing. I have no serious experience with formats where they originally existed, so I may not have the most informed opinions about them.

Personally, I don't really want to see Computer Search or Dowsing Machine return. I just find them a bit too powerful, and if they're re-released, all other Ace Specs will have to have comparable power levels or risk seeing little to no play. I'd rather the Ace Specs not have the pressure to be THAT good.

I would like to see Master Ball come back. We have Poke, Great, and Ultra Ball, so it just feels right we should have Master too. From what I understand, it doesn't see any play in Ace Spec formats because it's way too underpowered, but when Ace Specs return, I'm hoping they'll be weaker, and thus it will have more of a chance.

I don't have strong opinions about other Ace Spec cards returning. As for new Ace Spec cards, I think an RS-HGSS style Rare Candy would be very cool. If that's considered too powerful, it could be made more balanced by restricting it to non-Rule Box Pokemon. I think it would be cool if Ace Specs expanded to include Special Energies; if so, I think a Double Luminous Energy would be great (though part of that is to hopefully bring Regis back, lol), though again, it could use some restrictions to make sure it's not too good.

Back in Base Set era, you could technically play 4 Computer Searches in a single turn! It got "down graded" to an Ace Spec limited to 1 per deck; so it's not that OP I think.

Master Ball would be cool, but I doubt it will see any play. How about Ace Spec Pokémon? Or would that be too similar to Prism Stars?

In addition to Ace Spec, they need to bring back Ancient Trait, Gold Stars, V-Onion, Rainbow Rares, Amazing Rares, and Break Evolution!
Ancient Trait would work well with the current ancient paradox Pokémon, and maybe create a new Trait for future Pokémon.
Also, imagine pulling all the pieces for V-Onion in a God pack!

Back in Base Set era, you could technically play 4 Computer Searches in a single turn! It got "down graded" to an Ace Spec limited to 1 per deck; so it's not that OP I think.

Master Ball would be cool, but I doubt it will see any play. How about Ace Spec Pokémon? Or would that be too similar to Prism Stars?

In addition to Ace Spec, they need to bring back Ancient Trait, Gold Stars, V-Onion, Rainbow Rares, Amazing Rares, and Break Evolution!
Ancient Trait would work well with the current ancient paradox Pokémon, and maybe create a new Trait for future Pokémon.
Also, imagine pulling all the pieces for V-Onion in a God pack!
It was "downgraded to an Ace Spec limited to 1 per deck" BECAUSE it is OP.
Also, we are not in the V era anymore, so it makes no sense to have V-Unions.

Though I think Computer Search and Dowsing Machine could warp the format too much around them, I really hope they come back.
I hope they don't make those weird specific-pokémon Ace Specs like we had for Victini, Genesect and Kyurem.

An idea just popped into my head - a Rainbow Patch in the vein of Aqua or Dark Patch but for any type. Would that be toxic?

Back