Help Accelgor Variants

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
Which stadium should I run and which support pokemon?
For stadiums;
Forest of Giant Plants allows immediate evolution of Accelgor, greatly increasing the odds of executing a deck and cover attack each turn.
Silent Lab can block setup and rush in as well as a number of potent abilities, but it's effect is more passive and it is easily discarded by your opponent during their turn.
Virbank City Gym gives teeth to Accelgor increasing poison damage, my personal thought is that many expanded decks already play Virbank and you can just use theirs.

Several support pokemon are held up as the preferred partners to Accelgor;
Older variants had things like Chandelure and Dusknoir to move damage counters after establishing a hard lock using Trevenant to item lock their opponent in a paralytic state.
The most recent Accelgor deck to place well runs Wobbuffet to block abilities and prevent Keldeo or Zoroark from taking Accelgor's victims special conditions away.
Item lock is simply the most disruptive effect in the TCG and can trump Keldeo and Zoroark as well as Garbodor by preventing thing like Float Stone being played and of course Switch and Escape Rope. In terms of consistently blocking escape from the effects of Deck and Cover having the option of either ability lock or item lock can greatly reduce your opponent's outs.
Musharna's Forewarn ability allows you to draw an additional card and preview the top of your deck, which can help with a consistent stream of Accelgor especially late game, when your deck consists mostly of Accelgor and DCE.

Pokemon Ranger appears to be the only foolproof way besides Pokemon Centre Lady to hard counter Accelgor, I posit that those cards are one ofs in the large majority of decks and their consistent use relies on VS Seeker, making Trevenant XY a very preferable partner. However, the ability lock provided by Wobbuffet might make it unappealing for your opponent to play them as their supporter when they may be unable to draw with Shaymin EX.

Back