Accelgor - Overlooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillarmy

El problemo?
Hey beachers!
I've been laddering for some time now, and I've found a very underused pokemon with amazing Speed and Special Attack.
agirudaa_thinkin___by_wupar-d34mh3z.png

Accelgor, as far as I can see, is very overlooked and skilled. It is the fastest pokemon to set up Spikes, has a phenomonal Speed (base 145 Speed put Ninjask and Ninjask only ahead of it in OU), It has a decent Special Attack (base 100), solid coverage (Bug Buzz, Focus Blast), the ability to Agilipass, Hydration, and a support movepool of Acid Spray, U-Turn, Encore, Spikes, Toxic, and Yawn. So, as far as i can see, Accelgor is amazing and should be used much more.... what do you guys think?

Chillarmy said:
Hey beachers!
I've been laddering for some time now, and I've found a very underused pokemon with amazing Speed and Special Attack.
617___agirudaa_by_winter_freak-d362omk.jpg

Heck yes.

Accelgor, as far as I can see, is very overlooked and skilled. It is the fastest pokemon to set up Spikes, has a phenomonal Speed (base 145 Speed put Ninjask and Ninjask only ahead of it in OU), It has a decent Special Attack (base 100), solid coverage (Bug Buzz, Focus Blast), the ability to Agilipass, Hydration, and a support movepool of Acid Spray, U-Turn, Encore, Spikes, Toxic, and Yawn. So, as far as i can see, Accelgor is amazing and should be used much more.... what do you guys think?

Could you size down the picture? it's nice and all, but I think it's too big /joke protect.
Anyways, Accelgor has some major flaws in which you overlooked. It's paper defenses aren't letting it take any hits, even resisted moves will deal hefty damage. Ontop of that, the fact that Accelgor gets Spikes doesn't instantly make it a great pokemon. Spikes really requires bulk, so you can get all 3 layers down, something Accelgor really can't do all too well. Although now it outclasses Froslass (more or less) as an offensive Spiker, it's nothing to write hom about buddy. If you're going to be baton passing any sort of speed, and not have bulk, you're better off with ninjask, who really only has to protect and sub to pass speed. As for the "support" movepool you brought up, you really just named great support moves, for defensive pokemon. Accelgor simply doesn't have the defenses to really utilize these moves. Also, Hydration is relatively useless unless you happen to get paralyzed, while you or your opponent has rain up.

Offensively, again, nothing to write home about. It has just enough moves to make a decent Specs set, but even then, the coverage isn't that amazing. 100 SpA isn't as outstanding as you made it sound, although that 145 Speed is very nice, getting the jump on several threating scarf users (ex: Heatran, Tyranitar). As for anything other than Specs, don't bother. LO is racking up too much recoil, and it will really weaken Accelgor, limiting the chance for surviving really any hit. Anyways, I give Accelgor a 2 out of 10. It has it's merits, and it isn't completely useless. It has an alright niche, but not in this generation. It's offenses resemble that of a faster, but weaker Jolteon, so Jolteon can give it competition for a fast-Specs user. All in all, Accelgor is alright, but it isn't overlooked. It's lucky it's getting any looks, honestly.

Is this a good set for Accelgor?

Accelgor - Focus Sash
Timid (Spd+ Atk-, but you can use other speed natures except Jolly)
EVs 252 Hp, 252 Spd, 252 SpA (If running Bug Buzz)
-Yawn
-Baton Pass
-Agilty
-Protect/Recover

In this, Accelgor is a lead. First, he uses Yawn to force a switch, or make them sleep in the next turn, should they chose to attack.
This next part requires prediction. Since Yawn forces the opponent to fall asleep in the next turn, you need to predict properly. Agilty will increse his speed to help the next Pokemon, but could get killed if the opponent attacked it when you thought of switching. Protect would cripple if predicted right, but you are wasted if done wrong.
As soon as the switch occures, use Agilty. Then, use Baton Pass to escape, and pass on the stat changes.
This set can fall victim to Taunt. Priority can also destroy this set. You will need to do this right.

Accelgor (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Sticky Hold/Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice/Fire]

Thats the set I used to use. The best moves it could have, aside from MAYBE Giga Drain, but it doesn't have enough bulk. Its pretty powerful, but I never like being locked into anything, so I ditched it. Bug Buzz is STAB, Focus Blast gets those Steel types, Sludge Bomb is again, just for STAB, but doesn't offer any additional coverage. HP Ice is better, since Focus Blast already gets Steel. Sticky Hold is to keep the Specs on you, and Hydration is to get rid of conditions when facing a rain team or something.

copy/pasted

Accelgor
Timid @ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
Acid Spray
Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
U-Turn/HP Ground

Ok, so, basically, Acid Spray always lowers your opponent's SpD by two stages when it hits. If your opponent switches into Acid Spray, they're forced to either suffer a huge dent from STAB Bug Buzz, or switch, taking layer damage and potentially switching into another Acid Spray.
Giga Drain hurts Bulky Waters and Grounds who can take Bug Buzzes. It also heals off damage from Life Orb. THe last slot can be either U-Turn, to scout and get out of bad match-ups, or HP Ground, to hurt non-Balloon Heatran who otherwise walls the set.
It's highly recommended that you use this set with excessive layers, since it forces so many switches. It also helps Accelgor sweep.

Gimmicky, but suprisingly effective.

It's nothing really to write home about. It's fragility limits the hazard output by quite a bit. Also the fact that it has no notable offensive power to back it up limits it rather badly. The SR weakness is also quite a big punishment.

If Deoxys-E gets banned, he'll start seeing more use. Hydration gives him a niche as a Spiker on rain teams. He's not terrible by any means... just not great.

Accelgor is awesome. Its design is great, and its Speed is amazing. I think it is quite an underrated Pokemon.

Heres the set I use for it.

Accelgor (Timid, Hydration, Focus Sash)

Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
Me First
Focus Blast

Yeah yeah, not that great. But it still works alright. I eventually plan to replace Me First with Rain Dance, for a Rain team. Obviously I would also throw a Damp Rock on it.

Hmm... i'd probably replace Me First with Acid Spray... It really cripples the opponent, turning 1 or 2HKO's into OHKO's. Other than that, looks good :)

Jahikoi said:
Best moveset.

252 speed 252 hp jolly
Choice Scarf

Final Gambit

There's no point in sacrificing one Pokemon for another, especially when you aren't able to guarantee which Pokemon you're killing. Therefore, making a moveset specifically based around Final Gambit is inefficient.

Me first can be good if you switch in on someone stuck in Outrage or Shadow Ball or something that is weak to itself. It seems viable, but would require it to be a mixed attacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back