Discussion Absol-EX / M Absol-EX

hiltzy85

Aspiring Trainer
have these guys been considered at all for actual use? I understand that no spirit link is a bit of an issue in terms of speed, but Absol-EX still hits for 20 and a chance to discard a card from their hand for [D] and M Absol's disaster wing hits for at least 80 plus discarding the top card of their deck for [D][D] and as much as 160 if the card is a trainer.

Obviously most decks in the current metagame are more than 50% trainers (whose job is to pull Pokémon and energy out of the deck), so the chances of disaster wing hitting a trainer is going to be better than a coin flip in most circumstances. The lack of a spirit link also frees Absol up to hold a muscle band or hard charm and M Absol isn't very energy intensive.

Even regular Absol-EX's second attack is pretty decent (100 for [D][D][C]) and reduces damage from the next attack made against him by 20.

I've been thinking about trying him out as a secondary attacker/source of disruption for not a lot of energy in an Yveltal-EX/little Yveltal list. It might not be as fast as Yveltal/Manectric, but the added consistency of needing only one type of energy is nice, especially while Darkrai-EX is still available.

Last edited:
M Absol can be it's own deck with cards like Trick Shovel and Xatu to get that sweet 160 every turn along with Muscle Band.
As a tech it can also work with M Tyranitar and Toolbox as well.

I really like the card; however, the lack of spirit link does hurt this deck a lot with a lot of fast paced decks like Night March, Raichu, (Metal) Rayquaza, etc. Losing a turn will just put you in a worse position.

it definitely sucks that he has no spirit link (why not include it in the box set too?), but I guess the good news is that you can still start attacking with disaster wing on turn 3, and hitting 180 for 2 energy (and muscle band) can still kill almost all non-Mega Pokémon. Maybe the way to go is to stick with Absol EX rather than Mega and use him to disrupt the opponent's hand? He still hits for 100 with dark edge too (120 with muscle band) and decreases the damage of incoming attacks but i guess that really isn't that great

I want to like the cards like Mega Absol and Mega Diancie and all the others, but unless they start putting spirit links in with the box sets they aren't playable to tournament standards. Which is a shame as a Mega Absol deck that used M absol EX to put pressure on, then if the opponent started using heavy resources to survive and counter you, you could switch into that mill bunnelby and finish him off that way. Two win conditions, mill and kill. Plus the pressure you put on their deck and swinging for 180 almost every turn. Would be pretty intense.

But without that spirit link it just doesn't seem competitive. Could be great for fun games through.

Could Robo Subs be used to stall for the turn? Or another wall like Wobuffet?

I use the deck and have a fair amount of success with it. I run trick shovels, absol that moves damage and malamar. I also experimented with crawduant in there but as it only discards from the active I took him out. As long as you get absol on the bench early the spirit link isn't missed except for late in game. The only problem is you have to make sure you get the muscle band on quickly because head ringer hurts not in form of energy but by taking away your damage which puts you at 160 and you need 180 to knock out any EX that isn't wail or a mega. I ABSOLutely love playing this deck and have beaten some of the strongest decks in the mega with it. You just have to get setup early and that all comes down to if the cards fall your way

Back