Absol ex from “Ruler of the Black Flame!”

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Absol ex was revealed from the Japanese set SV3 Ruler of the Black Flame, which releases in Japan on July 28th and will form part of our Obsidian Flames set in August.
Absol ex – Darkness – HP210
Basic Pokémon
[D] Future Sight: Look at the top 3 cards of either player’s deck and put them back in any order.
[D][D][C] Cursed Slug: 100+ damage. If your opponent has 3 or fewer cards in their hand, this attack does 120 more damage.
Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Absol ex - are we sure we're playing this? It's only good on the first turn and nothing else. Mid to late game, the opponent can just get away with it. If it is a 1-of (design of it tells that this is a 1-of card), getting start with it would be pretty much difficult. The other atk is just bland af. Too much effort just to hit a bare minimum. 3

Also, small take. Can we just remove the glittering effect of the card next time, Card Devs? It's hard to appreciate the beauty of these cards, especially exs when the bottom part was not just covered by plain background, but also these ridiculous glitters. It's infuriating.

Kinda disapointed. Absol cards are always fun to play with. But this, I don’t know. Yes, it is more interesting than your normal card. The second attack is kinda to linnear and requires direct support due to 3 Energies all needing to be Dark. Fun requirement, but to linnear. And the first attack isn’t that consequentiall.

Comparing this to Absol's OG ex card and you will see my expectation. Especially when considering that basic Dark Energies didn’t exist back then.

Second attack could have cost 1 colorless less, and it still wouldn't see any play. Even with Iono and Roxanne in format to give it some way to manipulate its damage (lategame at least), this card isn't very good.

Well this is uninspired

To be fair the closes thing has to a niche is as Yaginku said
1. Judge
2. Hope they dead draw
3. Stonks
I suppose we could Roxanne/Iono in the late game & It does hit weakness on Mew/Gardi and hand disrupt Lost Box?

Mabi I'm just carving new cards idk, good in prerelease let me tell you.

Y'all are sleeping on this with Forretress ex.
Is this over Iono + Absol to cause bricked hands or over how Forretress can get close to Absol’s damage condition on its second attack.

Doesn’t particularly matter as both of those ideas have big problems with them.

Back