Writing A Quest for Greatness (Chapter 2 up!)

Elegost Eruaphadion

Guard of the Fountain Court
Okay, this fic deals with a regular guy, Chris, who starts his Pokemon journey. It'll run along the same sorta level as the video game journeys, but with a few exceptions, and a lot more anime style adventures throughout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

Chris sat up slowly, as the warm morning sun danced through the cracks in the blinds. Today was the final of the Silver Conference, and his brother Damon has managed to get to the finals. Chris couldn't wait to see the battle; Damon was a great trainer, a brother anyone could look up to, and Chris was confident Damon would win.

He slipped out of bed and pulled some clothes on, and gave his teeth a quick brush. He'd always been interested in Pokemon himself, but had decided to hold back for a few years and get in some research and training experience with Professor Elm before he started his journey. He was from New Bark Town, and had already shown quite a gift for working with Pokemon.

"Chris, where are you going so early?" said a tired voice from across the hotel room.

"Heh, don't worry Damon, I won't miss your battle for the world," replied Chris, turning to investigate the sleepy mass opposite him. Kinda like a Snorlax, he thought.

"You still haven't answered my question, bro," said Damon, sitting up.

"Well, I thought I'd go and have one last look around town. We'll be leaving tomorrow."

"Okay, sure. Just don't be late!"

Chris closed the hotel room door with a smile. Damon. It felt like he always underestimated him, but deep down, Chris knew Damon respected him greatly. "Mhm, well, first off I need some breakfast," he thought, taking the lift down to the lobby. As he exited the lift, he marvelled once more at the dozens of exotic Pokemon that were here for the Conference. Arcanine, with fiery orange manes, Heracross with varying sized horns, and even a black Charizard. Such a rare sight! But the pokemon that most interested Chris was a Sneasel he'd seen a few nights ago. It didn't appear to have a trainer, and seemed to follow Chris an awful lot. He didn't think much of it; Pokemon were inherently curious creatures, and sure enough, Sneasel was sat brooding on a windowsill across the lobby. Grabbing some fresh fruit and a carton of milk from a passing breakfast cart, Chris strode out into the cool morning air.

"What a perfect day for a battle," he exclaimed, grinning. "I can't wait for this afternoon!"

----------

"Welcome to the final of the Silver Conference!" boomed a voice over the loudspeakers. The crowd went nuts; this year had a tremendous turn out of talent. "In the final, we see Damon, from New Bark Town, facing off against Serena, from Slateport City! Both trainers have fought hard to reach the final. The weather is great, the crowd is ready, let's go!"

Chris smiled. Damon had this in the bag. He looked across from his front row seats and spotted the Silver Trophy. It gleamed in the sunlight, and filled him with a warm confidence. "Go for it Damon!" he cried. Damon caught his eye, and nodded.

"Okay, 3 on 3 eh? Come on out, Croconaw!" he shouted, tossing his Pokeball out. Croconaw emerged, looking energetic.

"That's a lovely Croconaw Damon! Too bad it's not going to be looking pretty for long," taunted Serena. "Go, Ampharos!"

Damon looked concerned. Understandable, given the type match up. "Croconaw, use your Mud Sport to cover yourself in Mud!"

Serena frowned now. "Clever, but it's not good enough! Ampharos, use Rain Dance!" The crowd went silent as the sky darkened. Huge, rolling rain clouds gathered, turning the atmosphere a shade tenser. Rain suddenly began to pelt down into the arena.

"Don't worry folks, we've got it covered!" cried the announcer, as mechanical shelters rolled out over the discouraged crowd.

"Okay, Croconaw, give it a dose of your Crunch!" cried Damon. Croconaw leapt into action, dashing through the rain speedily.

"Ampharos, brace yourself, and use Zap Cannon!" Damon's face darkened.

"Dodge it Croconaw, then use Iron Tail!"

Chris cheered as the Zap Cannon roared past Croconaw, exploding in a shimmering shower of electricity. Too bad it was raining, he thought, glancing at the Silver Cup. But wait. Silver Cup? Gone! Chris felt panic rising in his stomach. Where was it? Nobody had noticed it gone!

"What's up dear?" asked his Mother, her face awash with concern.

"Um, can I borrow Ninetales a second?" he asked.

"Sure, where are you goi-" his Mum began, handing the Pokeball to him, but before she could finish, Chris had dashed down the rows and down to the Stadium exit. There, exactly what he suspected. The trophy, in the hands of a thief!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued...

RE: A Quest for Greatness (Chapter 1 up!)

Chapter 2

The rain was coming down in icy sheets, yet Chris hurried on after the trophy thief. He was sure he knew them, yet he'd have to get closer to find out. Brilliant! A dead end.

"Stop!" cried Chris, face dripping with water. "Give that Trophy back!"

The thief emerged from the shadows. "Zul!"

Sneasel. It stood, half defiantly, half playfully, balancing the Trophy in a sharp clawed paw.

"Well, looks like you can have it your way then. Ninetales, Flamethrower!"

Chris threw the Pokeball, and his Mother's Ninetales emerged. It looked at him curiously, before launching a full powered fireball at Sneasel. It had the desired effect; Sneasel dropped the trophy, and narrowly escaped being fried. "Haha, great Ninetales! Return," smiled Chris, as he stared into the rain as Sneasel hurried off across the rooftops. He carefully picked the trophy up, and headed back toward the Stadium.

"Congratulations Damon, on beating Serena for the Silver Cup! That display of power from your Dragonair really got the crowd going!" boomed the announcer as Chris snook back to his seat. If he could just get to the trophy stand...

"There you are young man!" shouted his mother. "Come on, we need to congratulate your brother." Chris grimaced and followed his mother down to the podium. "Did you hear? The trophy was stolen!" his mother rolled her eyes.

Chris walked up to Damon. "Congratulations mate! Here, I think this is yours!" He threw the trophy to him. Damon raised an eyebrow.

"I won't ask. Shame you weren't here to watch me beat her Umbreon."

"Okay, let's just leave it at that," replied Chris, sheepishly.

"Here, I think you need this," continued Damon, handing Chris a Pokeball.

"Wha-?" was all Chris could get out, before following his Brother and Mother's gazes behind him. Sneasel was in a battle stance. "I guess he wants a rematch," laughed Chris, nervously.

"Well go on then, bro," said Damon, encouragingly. Chris shrugged.

"Go, Ninetales! Flamethrower!" he instructed. Sneasel was used to that one though; it leapt straight over, and moved in with a Slash. "Quick Attack, now!" Ninetales acquiesced, and darted forward, knocking Sneasel clean out of the air. "Okay, finish up with a Confuse Ray, Ninetales!" The confuse ray made contact, and Sneasel was soon swaggering all over the place. "Go, pokeball!" cried Chris. It made contact, catching Sneasel. The tension rose to a crescendo as the ball rolled, light flashing erratically.

"Yes! I caught it!" cried Chris, as the ball chimed off. "Haha!"

"Well, you got no choice now bro," joked Damon, giving his mother a knowing look.

Back