A New Card Game

Holon's Hero

Aspiring Trainer
Battle Lords
Hey, it's Cervantes. Well, it seems that a lot of you are interested in my game. That makes me very happy to hear that my idea doesn't suck.

There have been a few of you that have asked to help me create the cards for my game. I greatly appreciate the help, and if you want to help also, just PM me saying so. I'll reply with my decision and some further information on what I need.
For Reference, here's a list of all of the people helping me:

Cervantes's Helpers
Illustrators:
1. -SF-

Designers:
1.N/A

Some of you might be wondering why this is in fan-creations, since it's a new IP. Well, I've taken a lot of inspiration from other card games when designing this one. So, you could say this is a creation of a fan of Card Games. :/
I've been working on this idea for several years. I've just about reached a point where I'm happy with the rules of the game, and also the look of the cards. I'd like to share what I've created so far with everyone.
First, I'd like to share the rules of the game:

Types of Cards:
Soldier Cards
Soldiers are the equivalent of Creatures and Monsters from other Card games. Soldiers are used to reduce your opponent's Star Points and to get rid of your opponent's Soldiers. Soldiers are classified into 6 elements, or Nations:
Fire Nation
Water Nation
Earth Nation
Ice Nation
Light Nation
Dark Nation
Each Nation has about 10 races in it, as well.

Each Soldier has a Summon Level, which determines how much Summon power is required to Summon them, and three Stats:
HP (Stands for Health Points)
BTP (Stands for Battle Power)
DEF (Stands for Defense)
I'll talk about this when I talk about damage calculations.

Soldiers have three types of classifications:
Nation: Which nation they belong to.
Humanoid/Bestial: Whether they walk on two legs, or four legs, basically.
Race: What race they belong to.

Every Soldier has an ability. These abilities activate at various times during your turn.

Spell Cards
Spells are cards that have various effects that range from powering up Soldiers, to destroying an opponent's hand and deck.
There are 4 types of Spells:
Normal Spells
Item Spells
Permanent Spells
Trap Spells

Normal Spells are spells that have basic effects, and once used up, are sent to the discard pile.

Item Spells are spells that must be "Bonded" with a Soldier in order to take effect. If you are attacking another Soldier and you lose, if you have an Item Spell bonded to the Soldier, you may substitute the Spell for the Soldier. So instead of your Soldier being discarded, the Item Spell would be discarded.

Permanent Spells are spells that aren't discarded at the end of the turn they are played. Permanent Spells are the only spells that have HP, which is what allows them to stay in play.

Trap Spells are spells that are played face down. When the condition to activate them occurs, the owner may then flip the card over and activate the effect.

Summon Cards
Summon Cards are identical in appearance and function to Mana Cards from Magic the Gathering. There are about three variations for each Nation.

General Cards
General Cards are perhaps the most important cards in the Game. Without them, you can't win the game. A general is a variation on the Soldier card. However, you can have only one General in your deck. When you begin the game, you take your General from your deck, show it to your opponent, and place it on the playfield. While in play, Generals are kept out of the active battlefield. They cannot be affected by Spells or Soldier abilities. However, if you want, you may "Engage" your General, which means moving him to the Battlefield and treating him as a Soldier. This is very dangerous to do early on, because if you lose your general, you lose the game. Period. However, Generals need to be Engaged at some point, as they are needed to finish off your opponent and win the game.
Generals can not attack on the same turn they are Engaged.

Goal:
The goal of the Game is similar to Magic and Duel Masters. Each player starts out with 300 Star Points (similar to life points in Magic). You use your creatures, or "Soldiers," to reduce your opponent's Star Points to 0. Then, you use your General to deliver a final blow to your opponent. (which is similar to how you win in Duel Masters)
You can also win if you either defeat your opponent's General or if your opponent's deck runs out of cards (I'll talk about that later).

Tapping
Tapping is turning a card sideways in order to activate its effect.
Each card taps differently. Soldiers and Generals have two different types of tapping:
A-Tap (Attack Tap)
D-Tap (Defense Tap)
Each of these types of tapping have different rules applied to them. A-Tapping allows you to target another Tapped Soldier and attack it. If the Soldier you are attacking is also A-Tapped, the two Soldier's BTP is compared. The one with the higher BTP wins, and the loser is discarded. The difference between BTP is then subtracted from the loser's Star Points.
If you have Soldiers that are only A-Tapped, your opponent is allowed to attack your Star Points Directly.
While attacking a D-Tapped Soldier, you compare the attacker's BTP and the defender's DEF. The difference is subtracted from the loser's HP.
If you have even 1 D-Tapped Soldier, your opponent loses the privilege to directly attack your Star Points that turn.
Some Soldiers have have abilities that only activate when they are tapped. They are represented by a black box that is readable when you turn the card the way you would when you tap the Soldier.

Spells and Summon Cards can be tapped in only one way. Permanent Spells and Item Spells are the only Spells that can, or need to, be tapped. All Permanent Spells require you to tap them to activate their effects. However, while tapped, you are allowed to Attack Permanent Spells. Permanent Spells have a SPS stat, or SPell Strength stat, which acts in the same way a DEF stat works with Soldiers. Any residual damage inflicted when a Permanent Spell is discarded after losing its HP is inflicted as Star Point Damage (So if you have a Soldier with 30 BTP, a Permanent Spell with 15 SPS and 10 Remaining HP, the Spell loses its HP, then your opponent loses 5 Star Points.)

The Playing Field
There are three Sections of the Play Field:
Battlefield
The Battlefield is where you place All Soldiers, Permanent Spells, and Item Spells.

Star Field
the Star Field is the location of the Deck, General, Discard Pile, known as the Recycle Bin,(sorry to just now mention this, but in Battle Lords, Discarding is referred to as Recycling) and Out-of-Play zone, known as the Trash (sending a card out of play is called Trashing).

Summon Pool
The Summon Pool is where you place your Summon Cards, and also is the location of the Spell Bank. (More on that in a second.)

Turn Phases
There are four phases of a turn in Battle Lords, Start Up, Gear Up, Battle, and Aftermath.
The Star Up phase is where you draw a card and untap all of your tapped cards.
The Gear Up phase is when you Summon all of your Soldiers and Spell Cards. You may also play 1 Summon Card, OR you may bank 1 Spell(check the next section for that).
In the Battle Phase, you may attack tapped Soldiers or Spells, or, if your opponent has no D-Tapped Soldiers, you may attack your Opponent's Star Points.

Advanced Rules- Spell Banking and Deck Reviving
In Battle Lords, there are two very important, yet very complex, mechanics. The first is the Spell Bank. A player's Spell bank is a place he can put his Spells for safe keeping. While in the Spell Bank, a Spell counts towards your overall Summon Power Total. Well then why, you ask, do we need Summon Cards? It's because Spells count as neutral Power. In order to Summon a Soldier, or play a Spell, you must have at least 1 Summon Power of that card's type. Also, after you put a Spell in your Spell Bank, on any subsequent turns, you may then Summon that Spell without paying for it.
The next Advanced mechanic is called Deck Reviving.
Deck Reviving is only applicable when you run out of cards. If you run out of cards, you may Trash any 5 cards from your Recycle Bin, and then shuffle your Recycle Bin and treat it as your new Deck. You may then continue to use this deck for the rest of the game.

I think that's it for the Rules. If something is unclear, say so, and I'll try to explain better.

Here are some images of blank cards I've done so far (They're all regular Soldier blanks):

SoldierCardBlanks-1.jpg

spellcards.png

And here are some layout explanation pics:
BattleLordsPlayArea-1.jpg

Play Area Explained
SoldierCardDiagram.jpg

Soldier Card Explained
generalcardlayout.jpg

General Card Explained

Obviously, this game is still in the very basic stages right now, so any feedback would be unbelievably appreciated. Also, I need help coming up with a layout for Spell cards.
So, just grant me feed back on the cards, the rules, and help with the Spell Card layout. I hope you guys enjoy this.
-Cervantes.... :3​

Sweet! People like it! I have incentive to keep working on it!
(Of course, I've got about 1/4 of the cards already planned.)

10/10. Nice stratagy game, and nice and complicated. We need more complicated games in this world. If you need help, just let me know.

Actually, help would be greatly appreciated. I've got most of the cards planned, but If you want to help me make the rest, that would be great. I'd even let you do the art for them. If you're interested in helping me, PM me, and I'll give you details on what you can do for me.

Well, art's not my thing. I think I've got the jist of this game, so I might be able to do the spoilers, but if you want art, some good artists can be found in Artisan Cave, or I can recommend one. His name's Crime.

Profile Link FTW!

Sylar said:
Well, art's not my thing. I think I've got the jist of this game, so I might be able to do the spoilers, but if you want art, some good artists can be found in Artisan Cave, or I can recommend one. His name's Crime.

I'll keep Crime in mind. I'd really appreciate it if you helped with the Spoilers for my cards, though.

UPDATE: I've updated the front page to include all of the people who I've confirmed as helpers.

I'm confused. How does battle calculatoin happen? Also, if you didin't get my PM, I'm ready for first assingment.

-SF- said:
I'm confused. How does battle calculatoin happen? Also, if you didin't get my PM, I'm ready for first assingment.

Okay. I've drawn a diagram of what happens.

This is what happens when your Soldier is attacking another Soldier that is A-Tapped.
atapattackingdemo.jpg

This is what happens when your Soldier is attacking a D-Tapped Soldier.
dtapattackingdemo.jpg

I hope this clears things up a little. Please tell me if I just re-confused you.

I've finally finalized a layout for my spell cards. Take a gander:
spellcards.png

Here's an explanation of the layout:
spelllayout.png

Whatcha think?
-Cervantes.... :3

Back