Writing A New Beginning

Staraptor

Awake
Hello, fellow fan-fic readers. Well, I decided to make a new fanfic (my other fanfics did not go so well). It's another journey fic, but hopefully this will be better than the last one. Hopefully this will be better. It's longer than the other fics I wrote. (Almost 2300 words for the first chapter.)
If you like it please tell me. If you don't, tell me how I can improve. Oh yeah, tell me if you spot any mistakes. There shouldn't be too many because I wrote this out on a document first.
Read and enjoy. ;)

Chapter 1: Dreams

“Please, let us go! She’s just a little girl!” screamed a pleading voice.
“I’m sorry ma’am but my orders are to not let anyone survive.” It said that every time, but it was all an act. The voice held no remorse whatsoever.
“You can’t do this!”
“That’s where your’e wrong. I can and I will.”
Bang!

She woke up suddenly, in a hot sweat, her breathing very fast paced.
It was always the same dream. The begging voice, the cold-hearted killer; it was all so familiar to her now.
She sat up and pushed the thick cotton blankets away from her, heading over to her alarm clock.
It was only three in the morning.
She sighed and willed herself back into her bed, hoping that the nightmare would not disturb her sleep, but knowing it was inevitable. She lay on her pillow thinking about it.
The dream always ended the same way. A gunshot. She never saw what happened, but it was obvious.
She shuddered.
“It’s probably best not to think about it anymore.” she told herself. “Besides it is a big day tomorrow.”
She closed her eyes and slowly drifted into a deeply disturbed sleep.

She awoke the next day to the sound of her alarm clock.
“Starly! Starly!” it screeched.
“Ugh…”
She hit it over the head, causing it to stop incessantly screaming at her.
“Five more minutes…..”
Knock, knock.
“Abigail, it’s me. Can I come in?”
Gail groaned. She hated to be called Abigail. Why couldn’t her mother realize that?
“Yes, mum,” she replied. “But just call me Gail, ok?”
Her mother chuckled.
“Oh, I’m sorry Abiga…I mean Gail. “she said, realizing her mistake. “Are you rea..”
Her mother stopped, realizing that Gail had only just gotten up.
“Abigail…” she moaned.
“What?” Gail questioned. Just then, a thought dawned on her, and she looked over to her alarm clock which read;
10:30
A scream was heard throughout the mansion.
“What on earth was that?” Mr Backlot thought to himself. Then he chuckled.
“Gail…”

“Oh, Mr Backlot is going to be so angry at me!” Gail said panicking as she threw some of her belongings into a simple backpack. She hurried over to her closet and looked at the clothes she had. She shoved on a cotton hat, a dark colured top, a pink skirt that reached just a little above the knee, and a pair of bright yellow boots.
“Calm down. I’m sure he wont be that angry.” her mother said to her, trying get rid of the creases on a maid’s uniform that lay on Gail’s bed.
“I’m missing something…” she said to herself, ignoring her mother completely.
She looked around the room and something caught her eye. The something in question had been hanging on the door. It swayed a little, as if it was taunting her that it had been behind her the whole time.
“There you are!”
She grabbed it and proceeded to wrap it aroung her neck gently. The ends of the scarf hung loosely around her shoulders.
“My official Grand Festival scarf!” she said with a look of pride slapped across her face.
“Yes, that’s nice Gail.” her mother said, a bit exasperated. “Are you done yet?”
Gail smiled.
“Yes, I’m ready,” she said grinning. She took a last glance at the maid’s uniform that lay on her bed before walking out the door and thinking of how she would never see it again.

Mr. Backlot looked at his watch.
“She’s a little late,” he said with a sigh.
He wandered back over to the main living room and sat on his favourite couch. He sat there, proudly admiring his surroundings. He glanced at the highly polished tables, and dark brown, oak doors, before looking over at a tall mirror on the wall opposite him. It revealed an elderly man in a suit, who’s hair was beginning to grey. He had a moustache and a pair of round glasses that rested gently on his nose. He checked his watch again.
“I wonder where she-”
“Mr. Backlot sir,” came a voice from behind him.
He turned around and saw the elderly features of his faithful butler, Winston. He was holding a cardboard box with three red and white orbs lying inside.
“Ahh, Winston.” he said smiling. “Do you have them?”
Winston nodded.
“They weren’t very difficult to catch sir. The ones that I caught were all very small.” he said.
“That’s fine. Hopefully, she’ll be down any sec-”
“Mr. Backlot sir!”
He looked at the stairs, just as a girl came running down them, leaping over two steps at a time.
“Ah, hello Abigail.” Mr Backlot greeted the girl, grinning at her.
The girl in question had a fair complexion and long, raven coloured hair that hung loosely about her shoulders. She was wearing a cotton hat, and a scarf that had a pattern of a ribbon imprinted onto it.
“Mr Backlot sir, I’m so sorry that I’m late,” she said between breaths. “I forgot to set the alarm clock to the right time and-”
Mr. Backlot shook his head.
“That’s quite all right my dear. I know you didn’t mean it.” he said. “Besides, you’ve grown up here. I think of you as a my own granddaughter."
“Really, sir?” Gail said, a bit taken aback by Mr. Backlot’s words.
He nodded.
“Yes, really.”
There was silence for a moment until someone cleared their throat from across the room.
“Excuse me, sir. The pokeballs?”
Mr Backlot looked up.
“Hmm? Ah, yes.” he beamed and took the cardboard box that lay in Winston’s arms. He turned to Gail. Gail, one of these pokeballs will be your future pokemon partner for your journey. Winston caught them all this morning.”
“Wow…” Gail gasped. “Thank you sir.”
Mr Backlot chuckled.
“No need to thank me. Thank Winston. It was his idea to get you a pokemon before you start your journey.”
She turned to Winston and thanked him.
“It was my pleasure,” Winston said, with a bow. “Now if you would excuse me, I should go and check on the kitchens to see that Swinub hasn’t eaten everything. Again.”
He turned and walked away hurriedly, leaving Gail giggling to herself a little.
“Now.” Mr Backlot said, bringing Gail’s attention back to the poke balls. “I will release each pokemon and then you shall choose who you wish to be your partner.”
Gail stood there, shivering with anticipation. She had been waiting for this moment for weeks, ever since Mr. Backlot suggested the idea of going on a journey. Now she was finally here, itching to receive a pokemon that would be her partner for a long time.
“No.” she thought. “Not just a partner, but a friend. A real friend.”
She smiled to herself.
“I haven’t had very many of those.”

“Here we go!” Mr Backlot said, bringing Gail’s attention back to reality before throwing the three orbs into the air. Each opened up, and a brilliant white light blinded Gail for a few moments. The light faded away, and Gail gasped at what she saw. In the light’s place, stood three small creatures. Two of them resembled rodents, while the other…
“What is that, sir?” she asked pointing to the third creature. Gail never paid much attention to the pokemon around the mansion, and she had no clue as to this pokemon’s identity. It was completely round, except for four very short limbs and a curly tuft of hair on the top of it’s head. It’s eyes were reddish in colour, and it’s body was a shade of peach.
“That my dear, is an Igglybuff.” he said with a chuckle. They’re very playful pokemon.”
Suddenly the Igglybuff inflated itself, making itself float through the air and land on Gail’s head gently.
“Yes,” she said. “I can see that now.”
She looked at the other pokemon who she knew by name from her childhood.
“That’s an Azurill,” she said pointing to a round blue rodent, hiding behind it’s large orb that was attached to the end of its tail. “And that is..”
She shivered. She had bad experiences with this pokemon as a little girl. It had tugged at her hair without mercy and when she had asked it to let go, it had shocked her with an electric attack that had made her collapse.
“It’s a Pichu.” Mr Backlot said, finishing off her sentence. The little demon in question was yellow with patches of black here and there. Usually these pokemon are quite popular, but Gail despised it. The Pichu was busy chewing on Azurill’s left ear. Azurill didn’t even seem to notie.
“It’s actually the same Pichu that you were friendly with a few years back.” he grinned. “Isn’t that great?”
Gail sighed. She had never told him what had happened. Now, she regretted it.
“Well, there’s no way I’m choosing that thing.” she thought, eyeing the Pichu as it attempted to tear Azurill’s ear off with its teeth . “So I guess I’ll choose…”
“I choose Igglybuff!” she said. Gail could hear a squeal of delight from the top of her head. In truth, she had completely forgotten Igglybuff was there.
“Oh.” Mr Backlot said, a bit surprised that she hadn’t chosen Pichu. He smiled. “Well that’s an excellent choice.”
Igglybuff jumped up and down with squeals of happiness. It felt like it was doing a victory dance on Gail’s head.
“Now, I’ve requested a friend of mine to give you something for your journey.” Mr Backlot said. “He lives in Sandgem town, so one of my pokemon will give you a lift there. Since you’re going there anyway, why not start your journey there?”
Gail nodded.
“Ok. I’ll do that.”
“Iggly-buff-buff!” squealed Igglybuff.
“Ahh, that reminds me.” he said giving Gail the orb that Igglybuff had been in. “This is Igglybuff’s poke ball. Point it at Igglybuff and say “Return”, to put it back inside it.”
Gail took the poke ball, but she just placed it in her backpack.
“I’ll just carry her.” she said.
Mr. Backlot laughed.
“Fine then.” he said. “Now let me introduce the pokemon that will take you to Sandgem town.”
He reached into his pocket, bringing out a poke ball. He through it into the air and, after the familiar flash of light, a huge pokemon appeared. It was mainly blue in colour and resembled a large snake and a dragon combined. A sapphire blue orb rested on its neck while a solitary white horn protruded from it’s forehead. A wing sat on either side of it’s head.
“May I present Dragonair.” Mr Backlot said. He had a look of pride on his face.
Gail smiled.
“It’s beautiful.” she commented. “But…I’m going on it?”
“Yes.” Mr Backlot said. “She is an excellent flyer and you’ll be there in no time at all.”
Gail gulped.
"Are you sure?" she asked. "I mean-"
“Gail!”
Gail looked up at the stairs, where her mother was. She was running towards them, her long green hair flying about as she went.
She ran straight up to Gail and embraced her in a hug.
“I’ll miss you,“ she said. “Good luck and be careful, Abigail.
Gail smiled. This was one time that she wasn’t going to complain about that name.
“I’ll miss you too, Mum.” she said with a tear in her eye.
The two just hugged each other for a moment, as if nothing else mattered.
“Well, are you ready Gail? Mr Backlot asked.
Gail let go of her mother and nodded. She was ready.
“Good. Let’s go outside. The mansion’s a bit cramped with Dragonair in here.”

They walked outside into the grounds of the mansion. Gail rarely visited here, but every time that she did, it took her breath away. The grounds’ garden was beautiful. It was filled with a manner of different types of flower, each their own colour. It was like Mr. Backlot’s own personal rainbow.
On the other side of the mansion was Trophy Garden, named because it contained some of Mr. Backlot’s prized pokemon Gail had not really visited it, nut her mother looked after the pokemon that lived there.
They passed by rows of trees as they walked. Igglybuff was sitting on Gail’s head, banging it like a drum. It didn’t really annoy her. After all, Igglybuff was only a baby. It didn’t know any better.
"But maybe that will make it harder to train.." she thought to herself.
“I think this will do.” Mr Backlot said, making everyone come to a halt. “Gail, please get on Dragonair.”
Dragonair lowered it’s head kindly, to help Gail get on. Gail climbed up on to it’s neck nervously.
“Can I fly on something like this?” she wondered. “And what if Igglybuff get’s hurt?”
“Don’t worry Gail.” Mr Backlot said, as if reading her thoughts. “As I said, Dragonair is an excellent flyer. She will take care of you.”
Gail nodded., though she was still not certain she could do this.
“Goodbye Gail.” her mother said. “Take care.”
“You too, Mum.” she replied.
Mr Backlot looked at Gail and smiled. Then, he tapped Dragonair.
“Off you go, Dragonair.”
Gail gripped Dragonair tightly as it took off into the air.
“Iggly!” Igglybuff yelled, as it clung to Gail’s hat for dear life.
“Hold on tight, Igglybuff!” she yelled back, as the giant creature sped through the sky and disappeared behind the clouds.

“Do you think she’ll be ok on her own, Mr. Backlot, sir?” Gail’s mother asked worriedly.
“She’ll be fine. Besides, she’s not alone. She has Igglybuff.” Mr. Backlot replied.
“Yes, but-”
“It’ll be fine. Now come on. Let’s go help Winston with Swinub.”
Together, they walked back into the mansion, while a nervous Gail flew the skies.
She held on to Igglybuff, who was now cradled in her arms. They looked at each other and suddenly they both realized. This was only the beginning.

I've added a picture of Gail at the end of this post, if my description wasn't good enough..
Please note that the images of the pokeball and Igglybuff not made by me (duh!) and they are only there to show the pokemon Gail has so far.
It may not be that good, but it's the best thing I've made on paint. :D

Attachments

• Gail.png
    Gail.png
    75 KB · Views: 8
If I am not allowed to do this, then I am sorry. But I do have a reason as to why I am posting late. I was away for about four or five days and when I came back it was already after the two week limit thing.
If this isn't allowed, could I possibly put this into a new thread?

Anyway, here is chapter 2. It's quite short compared to the other chapter.
Over 600 words I think. Oh well.
Oh yeah, one more thing, I edited the above post with a picture of Gail i created on Paint. I hope you like it, and I hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

Chapter 2: Memories

The draconic creature soared through the sky, majestically flying above the land. It glided through the air, twisting easily between the clouds, careful to avoid them in fear of it’s rider’s catching a chill.
The riders in question were resting gently on it’s back, and it was careful not to let them fall.
Her master’s orders were clear. And nothing was going to stop her from getting her rider’s to their destination. Nothing.

“Do you see anything yet?”
The man sighed putting down his binoculars.
“No,” he replied. “I can’t see anything.” They had been searching the skies for hours in their hot air balloon, and still they had found nothing but the occasional Starly or two gliding by.
The woman sighed as well, and looked over to the man.
“The boss won’t be happy.” she said. “If we leave empty-handed, we’ll have to-”
“Suffer the consequences.” he finished. “I know.” He had heard it many times before.
“Well… I hope you know what that means for us…” she said, an expression of sadness upon her face.
He nodded.
“Don’t worry Kid. We’re sure to find it. Many people have claimed to have spotted it around here.”
“That may be so,” Kid replied. “But it’s a myth. It’s extremely unlikely that we’ll see it.”
“Don’t be so negative, Kid.” the man replied. “If we don’t find it, we could just go and look for trainers with strong pokemon. You know that the boss loves strong ones.”
She looked at him with a cold, piercing stare.
“He wont be so cheerful if Team Galactic find it first.”
He sighed. There was just know reasoning with that woman.
“Billy, face facts.” she added. “ The last members of Team Rocket who came back with nothing were severely punished. And afterwards they sent out that horrid Hypno..
“Which erased any memories they had of Team Rocket.” Billy said. “That’s not to big a deal, is it?”
Kid’s expression saddened.
“But you know what that would mean for me…”
Billy didn’t know what to say. Kid was his friend. He couldn’t let them do that to her.
A thought dawned on him.
“Tell ya what.” he said. “If we don’t find anything, how about we separate from Team Rocket.”
Kid gasped.
“What do you mean!? We can’t do that!” she shouted.
“Why not?” Billy shrugged. “We could steal pokemon for ourselves, and forget that stupid son of a-”
“Don’t talk about Giovanni like that!!” she shouted, cutting him off.
They were silent.
“I’m sorry..” Kid said. “I shouldn’t of shouted..”
Billy shrugged.
“Forget about it. You have a good reason to shout. And anyway, maybe I was being a bit hasty about this plan…”
“No.” Kid replied. “It….the idea…it actually appeals to me…”
Billy glanced at Kid. She seemed to be immersed in thoughts.
“I’ve always wondered what it would be like to not be part of Team Rocket…” she said quietly. “This would be my chance to find out.”
Billy smiled. He had always liked that rebellious side in Kid.
“Well then. That settles it.” he said. “If we don’t find anything good, we separate from Team Rocket to prevent our memories from being erased.”
She nodded. Her memories of Team Rocket were not what you’d call the best, but it was all she had known.
“Got it?” Billy asked.
“Yeah…” she said.
“Good. Now let’s-”
Before he could finish the sentence a mysterious sight flashed in front of his eyes. A being, that appeared as if it were almost a mirage, rose from the lake below them and flew out over the forest. The basket rocked a little, due to the sheer velocity of the pokemon.
“Kid..”
“I saw it too…”
For a while, they paused, not sure what to do. If they were to chase it and capture it, that would mean giving it to the boss and no punishment. If they stayed, then they would be considered outlaws by Team Rocket. And that, would be dealt with severely.
They made their decision.
They picked up speed with the hot air balloon and gave chase to the mysterious mirage.

So basically, that chapter introduces the main bad guys you’ll see in the story. Kid and Billy are villains, but they have a good side too. Kind of like Jessie and James from the show. And if you’re clever, you’ll realize where I got their names from. Although it doesn’t work as well as Jessie and James, and Butch and Cassidy, I thought it worked ok.

I liked the first chapter, nevertook the time to read the 2nd but its very unique with igglybuff as a starter pokemon

I like the 1st and 2nd chapter! Very well written. I would like to see more of Gail, and see expiriences with other Pokemon and hers. But regardless of that, I like it!

A comment! WOO!

Thanks. :) I'm glad you like the first chapter.
But I'm a bit surprised that you read all that, and didn't read the second, because it's a lot shorter than the first.
But I don't mind. :) As long as you read some of it, that's ok with me.
Hopefully chapter 3 will be up soon.
I go back to school on Tuesday...

Edit: And another one. :)
Thanks for reading it. A new character will be introduced next chapter.

Lols, i can get tired of reading, but it was interesting i will probably get to the 2nd chapter l8tr on today
i liked how you had set up the starters all are baby pokemon instead of those normal starters that they would use

Back