A Hardcore Team (Mixed Tier)

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Hello everyone! I have recently decided to get back into the competitive field, specifically for Black and White. While I have Black and White Pokemon on my team, they are not region specific. This team is generally meant to be very effective, yet incorporate some of my favorite Pokemon. I have posted this thread here due to the fact that I will be competing in the 5th generation games.
I will proceed to list all of my team members, why I chose them, and their statistics. At the end of the thread I will sum up the team. I am open to constructive criticism, as I only want to get better. :)

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
Clear Body Ability
EVs: 180 HP, 252 ATK, 72 SPD
Meteor Mash
Stealth Rock
Bullet Punch
Earthquake

Metagross is generally a standard lead, and this doesn't change with this set. I've decided to nix Explosion in favor of a more tank-based Metagross rather than a suicide lead. The first turn I plan to lay out my Stealth Rocks. The opponent may attempt to paralyze or put my to sleep, which is what the Lum Berry is for. I have Earthquake and Meteor Mash to do severe damage, and Bullet Punch as a last resort or Focus Sash killer. I'm debating changing Bullet Punch to Rock Polish, however. Thoughts?

Shandera @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Shadow Tag Ability
EVs: 252 SpecATK, 252 SPD
Shadow Ball
Overheat
Flamethrower
Psychic

I am using Shandera for three real reasons, one because of Shadow Tag trapping, two because of it's sweeping abilities, and three being it's ghost type. I'm not sure how common Rapid Spin will be in the 5th gen, but I find Stealth Rock very important. Having the opponent remove that could be devastating, and ghost Pokemon are perfect for handling that.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Torrent Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 200 SpecDEF, 52 ATK
Earthquake
Waterfall
Roar
Toxic

Swampert is another generic wall. I decided to make this one a special wall rather than physical, mainly because I need a special wall, but also because I want to have some surprises on this team. I know people have seen it all with Swampert, but I figure this set will be very effective for walling/tanking/stalling.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
Mold Breaker Ability
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD
Rapid Spin
Substitute
Swords Dance
Earthquake

Excadrill straight up rocks (haha....). I could literally do anything I want with this Pokemon, and I think I have a pretty good set. My idea is sending this Pokemon in when it has an advantage over the opponent, throwing up a Substitute, Swords Dancing if I feel I can, and then sweeping. Mold Breaker will fight through Levitate Pokemon and will give Excadrill a serious advantage. I have Rapid Spin on because I've been trying to fit it on my teams forever, and this seemed like a great opportunity. Excadrill will have right around 300 speed, which is pretty dang good for a Swords Dancing Pokemon.

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
Sheer Force Ability
EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD
Brave Bird
Crush Claw
Superpower
Vengeance

Braviary is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon of the 5th generation. It has very good attack, decent speed, and looks awesome (GO USA). This set is a pretty standard physical sweeper. Brave Bird and Crush Claw are really meant to do significant damage (Crush Claw getting a 33% boost from Sheer Force). Superpower is really just for epic endings, and Vengeance is great. Vengeance is what makes this Pokemon an INCREDIBLE revenge killing move. This move can tear apart nearly anything that comes in, including Pokemon that resist normal type. With the combination of the revenge damage, STAB, and a pretty good attack stat, it can cripple a strategy the opponent may be planning.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Clear Body Ability
EVs: 252 HP, 200 SpecDEF, 52 DEF
Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave
Rest
Thunderbolt

This Pokemon rocks, 'nuff said. My go-to wall.

And that's the team!
I built this team with no real region in mind. I wanted to create my best team yet, and with a few questions, I feel I have. My favorite Pokemon on this team is definitely Shandera. A powerful flying ghost is a devastating blow, and having it on my side is great.

Please, PLEASE give me your honest thoughts. I only want to make this team better. :)

Thank you very much,
BlueEyedSteelix

Replace swampert's stealth rock with toxic or brick break. And give braviary superpower over giga impact. Also, you have more EVs left on most of your team (the limit is 510, not 504).

I'm sorry for about a one line speech. I'm not very good at the new 5th Generation and all but, from my previous knowledge of Competive battling i'm pretty darn sure 2 pokemon do not need Stealth Rock? ( Hint: Swampert, Metagross )

- R-C

Replace swampert's stealth rock with toxic or brick break. And give braviary superpower over giga impact. Also, you have more EVs left on most of your team (the limit is 510, not 504).
Thank you for your suggestions! I did not know Braviary could get Superpower, so I will definitely make the change. I also know about the missing EVs. When I wrote the list, I just assumed that I would add those last EVs into a different stat and didn't bother mentioning it.
I'm sorry for about a one line speech. I'm not very good at the new 5th Generation and all but, from my previous knowledge of Competive battling i'm pretty darn sure 2 pokemon do not need Stealth Rock? ( Hint: Swampert, Metagross )
No problem! The main reason I gave both Metagross and Swampert Stealth Rock is if Metagross doesn't make it on the first turn. Stealth Rock is important to me, so I want to make sure it's out. I may, however, replace it with Toxic (as suggested by Hyperion).

Thank you both for your responses. :)

My two cents (literally)
1. Change Registeel to
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Earthquake
Toxic
Slack Off
Ice Fang
This should be a slightly better wall, it can take a few more hits and hit back harder. Toxic is great for wearing down opponents, this could be a decent go-to wall for you.

2. Change Excadrill to
Doryuuzu @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
Sand Throw Ability
Rapid Spin
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide

This is pretty close to the same thing but it's a little better especially if you have Hippowdon on your team.

My two cents (literally)
1. Change Registeel to
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Earthquake
Toxic
Slack Off
Ice Fang
This should be a slightly better wall, it can take a few more hits and hit back harder. Toxic is great for wearing down opponents, this could be a decent go-to wall for you.

2. Change Excadrill to
Doryuuzu @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
Sand Throw Ability
Rapid Spin
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide

This is pretty close to the same thing but it's a little better especially if you have Hippowdon on your team.
Interesting... I'll definitely consider this.

I just don't want to have more water weaknesses on the team, that was one of the reasons behind Registeel. Hippowdon is generally a better wall, I understand that, but I also don't want the Sandstorm hurting my team, and I'd rather not turn everything into a Sandstorm team. However, Excadrill will benefit immensely from it...

This is a very tough decision. Thanks a lot for your input. Feel free to comment on this reply as well. :)

Well you could change Swampert to Vaporeon. It's Water Absorb is pretty useful, and Wish Support is better than 2 Stealth Rock users. A moveset of Toxic/Protect, Surf, Ice Beam/Roar/HP Electric, Wish could help your team out more.

Well you could change Swampert to Vaporeon. It's Water Absorb is pretty useful, and Wish Support is better than 2 Stealth Rock users. A moveset of Toxic/Protect, Surf, Ice Beam/Roar/HP Electric, Wish could help your team out more.
Not a bad idea at all! Do you think I should invest entirely in Special Defense and HP? I've never used Vaporeon before competitively.

No I think you should max out HP for Wishes, and Defense to make Vaporeon capable of taking physical hits as well. I advise using Wish/Protect/Surf/HP Electric but make sure your Vaporeon doesn't get hit with Toxic because that ruins it.

No I think you should max out HP for Wishes, and Defense to make Vaporeon capable of taking physical hits as well. I advise using Wish/Protect/Surf/HP Electric but make sure your Vaporeon doesn't get hit with Toxic because that ruins it.
That sounds okay, but Swampert was meant to be a special wall. Sure, Vaporeon can still take hits, but I'd rather assure its special attack survival.

Plus, I don't think I would use Vaporeon if I were to use Hippowdon. If I used Swampert, it wouldn't be affected by the Sandstorm. That would leave only two Pokemon susceptible to the Sandstorm's damage, which is fine. I'd rather not have my wall get beaten down.

However, if I ultimately decide against Hippowdon, Vaporeon is a great option. I think I'll get to EV training one just in case.

If you want go with 252 HP / 244 Def / 36 SpD but with 95 SpD and 130 HP Vaporeon can take Draco Meteors without much investment in Special Defense. You need to worry more about the physical side.

I would go with Bold if I were you. Also, if you have questions about specific sets I would ask them in the Competitive Battling thread.

Hey, I have two notes.
First, is that Doryuuzu Engilsh name IS Excadrill.
Second, put Balloon isteand of Leftovers on Excadrill. That gives it a nice Ground-type inmunity.
Third,... Wait is no third. Mysterious!

Laterz.

Second, put Balloon isteand of Leftovers on Excadrill. That gives it a nice Ground-type inmunity.
WOW, I didn't even know that item existed! That was a very interesting idea on the Pokemon Company's part. I'll definitely do that, thanks for the suggestion!

Greetings RMT viewers!
I'm currently unsure about Excadrill in my team for a couple reasons.
First off, it's another Steel-type Pokemon on my team. 3 Steel Pokemon? It seems a bit much to me. I'd rather have a different Pokemon to help with the weaknesses of the team.
Second, I want to have a setup Pokemon on my team, but Excadrill doesn't seem bulky enough for me... at least not the set I have. Combined with my first reason, I'm not sure Excadrill is right for the team. I'd like to hear your thoughts on exactly what I should do. I really like Excadrill, but it might not work out...
Thanks!

Back