A Guilty Pleasure?

Well I never tell my age, or my real age for that reason. Trying to keep my old ways. Anyways, I used to think pokemon was childish too. I quite along time ago. But then I got bored, alot like you, and started playing again. I found it was pretty fun. But the main reason I decided to stay in the game is because I saw that it wasn't just a big waste of money on a bunch of pieces of card bourd that'll sit around and collect dust. I found out that there were big tournaments that offer lots of prizes and even Scholarships for up $7,500. A childish game wouldn't offer you Scholarships that could help later on down the road. I'm just saying, you shoudn't feel like it's a childish game. And if someone asks what you do, tell 'em you play pokemon, but tell them about the benefits of it too. You'll find that most people will react positivly...

Jreeves

RE:  A Guilty Pleasure?

armaldoEX said:
Well, I would be one of the younger players here. I'm only 12 years old. I know it is a suitable age for Pokemon, and it matches my age. But, I am still worried about what my school friends will think about me playing Pokemon Cards. Why? Because my other friends aren't as interested into it unlike me. So, I keep my interest as a secret, away from my friends. So, I guess you could still play it if you want. :D
Sounds EXACTLY like me, except I'm 13. But hey it's still fun. I don't really care what they think, I just don't want to lose friends (they aren't really friends if they do go aren't they though?). Anyway I still think anybody should play as long as you like it and you want to.

Arcanine out.

Wow, You guys are young. My daughters got me playing pokes and I like it. How old am I well lets just say I have a granddaughter that will be playing for at least 1 year before some of you get your drivers licenses.
Fun doesn't have an age attached to it. you should never feel guilty about having fun / looking for fun. Life only goes around once. collect your heart out and play like there is no tomorrow. you'll wake up one day a happier person and u will have more friends because of pokemon.

I am 19, I collect and play Pokemon TCG, and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you have your priorities in order then there is no problem. It's just a hobby, not unlike any other hobby. Do what makes you happy, no matter what anybody else thinks. That's my motto.

Then again, I certainly don't go around telling people I collect Pokemon cards. I would never wear the shirts like I did when I was young. But if it came up in conversation, I wouldn't be ashamed at all to let people know I collect Pokemon cards.

I'm 18 and I play the Games and the TCG, mainly because pok'emon has always intrigued me. At your age people should be more mature and not tease people for playing, anyway there are heaps of cheap decks to make that are competitive, plus they are fun and as long as it's fun it's worth playing.

Wow, so there's a really broad range of ages.

I think it's not really your age that determines how comfortable you are with playing, more how many people around you are into it as well. Like someone said it wasn't huge in England, same with Aus really.

I agree with what Blitz said, Pokemon is intriguing. I'd like to somehow get into the gaming/animation industry, and the ideas in pokemon are original and appealing. Though the anime is pretty childish and annoying the gameboy games were great and the cards have some cool artwork/designs.

Actually Astral_boy, I live in Australia, in Sydney it still seems popular, the TCG has leagues etc. However I haven't played in a while because of Exams and other Social events, but soon I shall play again.

Heck, I'm 17 and I collect them- although I don't play competitively or anything. I think it's the possibilty of getting an ex in a pack that makes me buy them.
I play the GBA games alot more, some people are no doubt aware of that ;)

Well, I bought my first pack of cards for the first time in a while. I remember when you'd get 11 cards in a booster pack instead of 11. And now you have a greater chance of getting the same two cards in one pack. And I hate how they're making the common and uncommon cards holofoil. I didn't get a "real" holofoil, but I got a common Mudkip flashy foil card. The booster pack was from the Crystal Guardians series. My rare card was Medicham. I think the delta species is pretty cool. Delta Charmander was the only one in the pack though.

Deepblue said:
Well, I bought my first pack of cards for the first time in a while. I remember when you'd get 11 cards in a booster pack instead of 11. And now you have a greater chance of getting the same two cards in one pack. And I hate how they're making the common and uncommon cards holofoil. I didn't get a "real" holofoil, but I got a common Mudkip flashy foil card. The booster pack was from the Crystal Guardians series. My rare card was Medicham. I think the delta species is pretty cool. Delta Charmander was the only one in the pack though.
Well I'm glad you're going with it. Yes they are making less hard to get cards holo, but some people do like that so they can make their entire deck holofoil instead of just cards that are always going to be holo.

Delta Species is a great pack for beginning players, since it has extremely popular trainers in it. If you are going to play competitively or like the Delta Species Pokemon then it would be a great pack to buy.

Arcanine out.

Yes, Pokemon is childish. The game, however, is not. The pictures on the cards don't make the game. That's what I tell people.

Haha, I've always been too scared to put holofoils in my deck unprotected. I'd always (and still do) use little home made plastic sleeves to put them in. I had to put my entire deck in plastic sleeves when I was playing in the trading card game league so it wouldn't seem like I was cheating.

Sleeves or not. Keeping a holofoil in perfect condition is hard work. The Base, Jungle, and Fossil sets were always easier to keep straight, but they'd scratch. Then everything from Base 2 and deyond became hard to keep from bending.

Is there any series in particular of the EX Series that I should be buying? Or, in other words, what is the best series if you could name one for me. Today was just a random booster pack selection.

1) I'm 914 years old. (Getting closer and closer to Yoda everyday)
2) I play because my friends play
3) I LIKE SHINY CARDS :D Thats another reason I buy
Random Note: I LIKE PIE!

Well, it's kinda easy for you guys to say that the game is fun and it brings many useful things. But, you don't know my friends. If they knew a bad secret about someone, they'll spread it rather quickly and people start to look down on you. That's what happened to me before. It's easy saying that it's fun and nothing in this world can make you stop, but actually doing it isn't as easy as it looks. That's one of the problems I face frequently.

Deepblue said:
I remember when you'd get 11 cards in a booster pack instead of 11.
11 = 11 typo
Haha. I guess I've been out of it for a long time then. How many cards come in a pack these days?

don't feel bad about your age. after every world chapionship you should check about it. last year I think that the oldest player was like 70 years old. I once played someone that was 70 years old. I lost.

hi , I'm 18 now, playing these cards do make people think that your immature, and tend to hide them , and make lousy excuses, like" it aint mine,,, remembering childhood days,,, whatever" it just fed me up, why am i hiding them, this is no crime, playing pokemon cards is not a crime, why should i shy away with it,,, after that, i boasted it to my friends, just didn't know one of them is playing to, feels great to know more people playing pokemon cards. POKEMON IS NOT CHILDISH!
let that be your motto for a day, and hope it helps you

Im 20+ years old ;). and my pokemon gaming group goes from teenagers to married men with children. we dont colect, we just make top class tatical deck and playtest them against each other.

and yes its sometimes kinda hard to tell people, but they normaly react positive if we are positive about what we do as a hobby. :)

Back