Article A Guide on How to Metagame

vespiquen will soon be dead in the water against manectric

multiple mega manectrics + max potion means that a vespiquen deck would need almost everything thrown out to get 1 kill and each mega manectric will get a kill which means throwing out your vespiquens and combees

also we might start seeing more use of enhanced hammer now that there is almost a special energy for every type and xerosic will also see more play

kill the energies kill the queen

...A few weeks later we'll have an article about how you should figure out the counter to counter the counter deck that was used to counter the counter deck that did well three weeks ago?

Nice article though, but I'll just stick to making good decks overall and then see how it fairs.

vespiquen will soon be dead in the water against manectric

multiple mega manectrics + max potion means that a vespiquen deck would need almost everything thrown out to get 1 kill and each mega manectric will get a kill which means throwing out your vespiquens and combees

also we might start seeing more use of enhanced hammer now that there is almost a special energy for every type and xerosic will also see more play

kill the energies kill the queen

Once Vespiquen gets that first KO it doesn't stop, plus it trades so favorably with Manectric. This is further compounded by Manectric needing the Spirit Link to trade properly. Max Potion doesn't really help against a deck shooting for OHKOs anyway.

Maybe Vespiquen is different overseas, Down Under we're all playing Bronzong to have a steady flow of Energy so cards like Xerosic and Enhanced Hammer don't pose a problem for us (although Xerosic has been amazing).

I wrote all that before remembering that Regionals use Expanded, read it if you want.

Back on topic, I feel that your analysis of Cities metagaming to be very true, where changes tend to last a while because (technically) Cities are less important than Regionals, so people aren't as in tune with the format and much less the metagame. Regionals are very wild because most of the better players will have mapped the format and planned for a completely different metagame. This is why rogue decks often win in Week 2 & 3 of Regionals, because those players cracked the format before Week 1, but held that information to squeeze maximum points out of it.

My opinion about metagames: I like ones that have lesser predictability and more variety. The reason why is that it shows you more skills to involve when players build decks. A very predictable 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' meta is rather boring for me to watch, and the amount of deck-building skill is too much based on a simpler countering ring to guide you.

To me, I look at the results of tournaments as much more skillful just after a shift in the meta occurs - whether it be a brand new expansion just coming out, and/or past sets rotating out. I've looked much more forward to the results of next regional standard format tournaments than even the World Championships right now, as the Worlds usually have a mature metagame to deal with in the first place.

Back