A chilling breeze can be felt in the colosseum! (5th Gen Hail)

S

SilverManiac

So... I've been using this team for a while, and it's had its fair share of wins and losses. With plenty of Pokemon rotations in and out of the team, this is what I've come to a crossroads at. I chose hail solely for the fact that it isn't seen as often, and very little pokemon in the metagame will actually benefit from it, due to the fact Mamoswine now runs Thick Fat, and ice types aren't commonly seen outside of Cloyster. In any case, here's my team as it stands right now:

sf_12_abomasnow.jpg
58723_1M_Froslass.JPEG
9-mamoswine.jpg
101_Hitmontop.jpg
54_Magneton.jpg
34-kyurem.jpg

Abomasnow
SubSeeder, Holding Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Defence, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
-Blizzard
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Substitute

Here's a familiar face when it comes to Hail: our big ol' huggable Abomasnow! On a hail team, he's pretty much needed 100% (Unless you're running Evio Snover, and who does that?). I went with attacking EV's and an offensive yet stall worthy set, because Blizzard packs a punch and has 100% accuracy in hail, Giga Drain heals immensely, as well as offering reliable 2HKO's on Politoed, and based on its performance, it has been able to stall out the likes of Cresselia and other such Pokemon. He's built this way to be as fast as possible without Timid, which doesn't really do much, other than ensure I'm slower than Ninetales so I get hail up, yet slower than most variants of Tyranitar and Politoed, allowing me to hit back or make a reliable switch. Aboma will always outspeed Hippowdon, bar a choice scarf Hippowdon.

Froslass
ParaFuzor, Holding Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Defence, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Atk)
-Blizzard
-Thunder Wave
-Confuse Ray
-Destiny Bond

Ah Froslass. It seems like the only reason I use you is to frustrate people. With its speed maxed out, it can outspeed a lot of common threats, and with Focus Sash, even those that are faster have to make a tough decision: attack and lose a pokemon, or switch out and force mind games? Most of the time, if the pokemon is faster, I'll thunder wave first, so I can destiny bond before they strike. Blizzard off of Froslass' acceptable special attack nets a lot of kills, especially after being stalled out from Thunder Wave, and Confuse Ray. Speaking of Confuse Ray, it forces switches a lot of the time, due to people not risking the 50% attack chance, when coupled with Thunder Wave, that chance grows even smaller. Definitely good to keep around, especially considering its Ghost typing, it can effectively stop Conkeldurr if pulled off correctly. The mistress of mayhem definitely holds a place in my team well.

Mamoswine
All Out Attacks! Holding Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Hit Points, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -SpAtk)
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

This big mammoth is the Physical Powerhouse of the team. Almost 100% of the time, Ice Shard is all that is needed to take out pesky Dragon types, as well as Gliscor. It also does massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. It's so useful, Icicle Crash is rarely used. It's there just in case I need to hit bulkier Ground, Grass, or other types that may not die instantly to Ice Shard. Stone Edge is just there for coverage, as its shaky accuracy is discerning, as everything it hits is mostly covered by ice and ground. Earthquake shatters fire types and rock types in two, sometimes even after Mamo is burned. Snow Cloak is picked over Thick Fat, because even with Thick Fat, it wasn't surviving any fire attacks. Most are fired from higher Special Attack pokemon anyway, so Hax is always useful.

Hitmontop
Spinning Kick Support, Holding Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 Special Defence, 252 Hit Points, 224 Defence
Relaxed Nature (+Defence, -Speed)
-Rapid Spin
-Hi-Jump Kick
-Sucker Punch
-Foresight

With the lack of Physical options on the team, and the immediate need for a spinner, Hitmontop rose up and claimed a spot. Its got a lot of bulk, and takes numerous attacks with ease. With Foresight, it can spin through even ghost types not named Gengar (they will outspeed and ohko with Psychic), or even kick them into oblivion. Numerous sets say to use Close Combat, but I never understood that, since Hi-Jump Kick, though risky, doesn't hinder your defences should it hit. Both have their drawbacks, but Hi-Jump Kick gives more power where it is needed, when it is needed. Sucker Punch gives Hitmontop priority and an ability to hit enemy ghost types, though Hitmontop will only really be in on bulky Ghost types to get rid of pesky spikes. Sucker Punch DOES dent frail ghosts though, such as the aforementioned Gengar, as well as hitting Psychic types hard. -Speed lowers Gyro Ball damage, since it is commonly seen, even though, it's not really something that people will be hitting Hitmontop with anyway.

Magneton
Steel Type Bane, Holding Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 76 Hit Points, 252 Special Attack, 180 Speed
-Hidden Power Fire
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-Volt Switch

I know what you're thinking. "Why use Magneton over Magnezone, and not use Eviolite?" The answer is simple. Magneton may have weaker defences, and slightly lower Special Attack, but it's faster than its evolution. With the given spread, it arrives at 242 speed, enough to JUST outspeed Timid pokemon in the base 60 group with max EV's. A lot of the Base 60 pokemon don't even stack Speed ev's in the first place. This Magneton is my best option for dealing with Scizor, since my entire team suffered from it before its arrival. With Magnet Pull, Pokemon lacking Shed Shell, a switching move, or Whirlwind/Roar will be helpless to switch provided they are Steel type. Its ability to trap and kill Skarmory with Thunderbolt, or trap a Scizor using Bullet Punch and hit back with HP Fire just adds to its usefulness. Maybe it's able to stop a Banded Metagross using Earthquake cold due to that Air Balloon? It even stops opposing Magnezone, since they're outsped by it. Magnezone is not without its faults though, since even with the balloon, it, like the rest of the team, suffers from the ailment of heat, but outside of this, it does its job, and it does it well. And... Just look at it! It's so much more visually appealing than Magnezone!

Kyurem
Great Chasm's Icy Terror, Holding Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Hit Points, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
-Blizzard
-Earth Power
-Focus Blast
-Draco Meteor

Perhaps the deadliest Pokemon on the team, this monstrosity is a great boon to Hail teams everywhere. Though its typing isn't good in general, since Ice's one and only resistance is negated due to its Dragon typing, the sheer power it has is amazing. Blizzard has the same accuracy as Focus Blast, so even without hail, it's a decent choice if I'm trying to clean up a team, but when Hail is around, it'll almost never miss (Enemy Snow Cloak users, and *snicker* Sand Attack users are the exception). Focus Blast, though shaky, takes care of anything it can hit super effectively, and is useful if the opponent has water types left and I don't want to get stuck into Draco Meteor. Speaking of which, off of that 359 Special Attack Kyurem has, almost nothing will survive a Draco Meteor. Sometimes, even at -2, it does enough damage to severely dent the next pokemon, and has a great chance at OHKOing some Dragon Types as well (-2 Special Attack, when factoring in Super Effective damage, hits opposing dragon types for neutral damage). Earth Power is obligatory coverage, since even when hitting for Super Effective damage, Blizzard is just as strong due to STAB, so it's only ever really used on Steel Types and Fire Types that resist ice attacks. He's sturdy enough to survive Scraggy's Hi-Jump Kick, and a Mach Punch from Conkeldurr, and hit back hard. I have no idea what I could replace Kyurem with, he's just THAT strong.

You've got a large weakness to Steel-types, especially Scizor who can wreck everything on your team bar Magneton.

You've also got a MASSIVE weakness to Sun teams and Fire-type moves in general. With no resistances, you're just begging to be swept by a Fire-type.

You've also got a problem with Fighting-types, as they can do anything to your 5 Pokemon that are weak to them, and they can use Payback/Stone Edge to get around Froslass.

So here's what I'm going to suggest:

-Swap Hitmontop for a Support Tentacruel. This gives you a valuable Fighting-type resistance, as well as resistances to Steel- and Fire-types, all of which you need.

-Get rid of Froslass for a Bulky Rotom-W. This further gives you Steel- and Fire-type insurance, while also providing a slow Volt Switch for Abomasnow to enter. Rotom-W also does quite the number to a rain team.

And for some minor changes:

-Use a Mixed Expert Belt set on Abomasnow. Abomasnow relies on intimidating other weathers, so you need to switch to this set for more effectiveness.

-Mamoswine needs Thick Fat. Resistance to BoltBeam is too good to go to waste, and lets to check Thundurus-Therian better.

-Speaking of Mamoswine, it needs Stealth Rock somewhere. Stone Edge is the most replaceable move it has, and you need Stealth Rock in this metagame, your team is no exception.

-Magneton either needs Eviolite or Choice Scarf. I would pick Choice Scarf since it can outspeed Tornadus-Therian with the Choice Scarf, but you can use Eviolite for more bulk. Any other item will make it inferior to Magnezone, regardless if Magneton is faster or not. Magneton is only outspeeding Tyranitar (don't stay in on it anyways), Vaporeon (it's not staying on on either) and Scizor (both of them beat it) in comparision to Magnezone, so really just switch to Magnezone if you're going to continue with the Air Balloon.

The person above me basically nailed it. Now I haven't play tested your team but i can see one huge counter. Conkeldurr, now I know you're thinking Oh I have frosslass but if Froslass is gone and Conkeldurr gets 1 BU then that is GG because you don't have a counter. I have not laddered in a while so I don't know if Conkeldurr is common. Now this is just my recommendation but if tis was my team I would recommend replacing Froslass with Reuniclus. Froslass is kind of bad IMO.

Reuniclus@LEfties
252 Hp 252 Def
Bold

Recover
Focus Blast
Psychic
Calm Mind

if you don't like that than you could maybe try CM Latias.

Latias @ Leftovers
252 Hp 252 Def or 252 hp 252 Speed
BOLD or Timid

Recover
Calm Mind
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fire
Latias may also somewhat fix your weather weakness. (Counters Some weather sweepers)

Since you lack a sweeper they might be a good choice. Also, I'm not going to lie Hail kind of sucks... I recommend Sun as it is my favorite weather. I almost got to 1300 on a simple sun team one time on the SMogon ladder.

Another thing is I think Magneton sucks... That little extra speed is not worth losing power and bulk. These are just my suggestions and what I would do if I had this team like I said I have not play-tested it. Good luck!

Back