6 Corners... What the....?

Rikko145

I put the "laughter" in "slaughter&
I don't understand why people rave about 6 corners. Somebody in my area just bought everything for 6 C from Troll and Toad in RH, and I don't understand why he thinks it's good. It's pretty much a toolbox designed to counter whatever your opponent is playing. Yet, it flops to most of the metagame. What do people see in this deck? It runs a half dozen different energy types, is slow, has no answer once its counters have been dealt with, and is clunky. I think it's more or less people wanted to find a way to play a half dozen legendaries, but that's just me... Can anybody justify this deck?

Well The Truth is also a deck designed to counter whatever your opponent is playing and I find it as a more consistent deck than 6 Corners which to me just seems very overhyped right now. To put it simply...

The Truth > 6 Corners

One of my friends actually came in 5th place at Cities with her variant of The Truth which ran Steelix Prime over Cobalion to tank damage with Reuniclus using Damage Swap and Vileplume shutting down Items. The deck itself isn't as skill intensive as CaKE is but it does revolve quite a bit of skill to play really good with it.

For some reason I've always had problems beating The Truth cause like ChandePlume there's not much in the current metagame that really counters it that isn't tier 1 or 2 unless If it's possibly TyRam, EelZone, Durant, or maybe PrimeTime and KyuremGatr? Yeah and I've heard that CaKE has a favorable matchup against The Truth, well that depends on the setup IMO.

Rikko145 said:
I don't understand why people rave about 6 corners. Somebody in my area just bought everything for 6 C from Troll and Toad in RH, and I don't understand why he thinks it's good. It's pretty much a toolbox designed to counter whatever your opponent is playing. Yet, it flops to most of the metagame. What do people see in this deck? It runs a half dozen different energy types, is slow, has no answer once its counters have been dealt with, and is clunky. I think it's more or less people wanted to find a way to play a half dozen legendaries, but that's just me... Can anybody justify this deck?
I think people just like the idea of playing a deck that looks horrible on paper. I'm doubtful anybody will be able to give you a good justification as to why it's good (waiting for HenryP to post...)

The concept behind the deck - hitting your opponents for weakness and countering the entire meta in a fairly simple strategy - is a good one. However, the basic six corners can't maintain the energy on the board well enough to win against a truly good player in an even or slightly favorable matchup. However, there are some less-known variants that offer the player more control over the game, and rely less on the opponent making moves/misplays. I've found them to work much better than the original Virizion/Terrakion/Dragons one.

RE: 6 Corners... What the....?

I played 6 Corners at both of my cities, it is a very fun and competitive deck. Yes, it is designed to be a full on counter deck, and it does a great job at doing that, rarely flops, and has few to no auto-losses. It has a solid counter for just about everything in the meta.

Virizion: Covers any Terrakions out there, great for early game damage and draw.
Absol: Covers Chandelure nicely.
Terrakion: Great against Zekrom and Magnezone
Cobalion: Kyurem and Vanilluxe Counter.
Victini: Helps against Durant, big late game damage.
Kyurem: Helps against Reshiram (to an extent), and it is a good game finisher.
Zekrom: More type coverage, mine didn't even play it.

As for the cluster of energy types, you just play 4 Rainbow, and 2 to 3 of the other dominate types in your specific version. I believe I used 4 Rainbow, 3 Fighting, 2 Water, 1 Grass, 2 DCE and a Fire energy. That is pretty cluttered, but it isn't inconsistent, especially if you a playing a variant with Electrode Prime (which I would recommend, otherwise it will seem like you are a turn behind the whole game). I would also like to add that with the release of Prism Energy and Mewtwo EX, 6 Corners is going to be a real threat, I would start testing against it a little bit, because I feel it will be a large player at States, and it is a really fun deck anyways.

I'm still not too impressed, sorry. It just seems like it would be terribly hard to control the energy. Although, as you say, Rainbow and Prism would of course be quite useful. However, with Electrode sacrificing a prize (if you use it) and/or the time it takes manually power up, you'll be behind in prizes, and once you do get set up, unless you're OHKO'ing every turn you'll fall behind in the prize race (and sometimes even if you are OHKO'ing every turn you can't catch up).

Rikko145 said:
I'm still not too impressed, sorry. It just seems like it would be terribly hard to control the energy. Although, as you say, Rainbow and Prism would of course be quite useful. However, with Electrode sacrificing a prize (if you use it) and/or the time it takes manually power up, you'll be behind in prizes, and once you do get set up, unless you're OHKO'ing every turn you'll fall behind in the prize race (and sometimes even if you are OHKO'ing every turn you can't catch up).

Shaymin helps with that. It is a hard deck to play, but it still good.

I does look very bad on paper, but it good irl.

Actually, though, most variants use 4 Rainbow, 3-4 DCE, 2-4 Grass, and a single Fighting or Water, though it does depend on your meta.

You begin to set up using Virizion's first attack, which is very important turn one. Then using Leaf Wallop and Catcher, you are able to knock out babies, Oddish, Voltorb, Solosis, and a few other basics. Afterward you can do 80, with potential to knock out Eeletrik, Magneton, Gloom, Duosion, and other Pokémon. In the mean time it is important to be setting up benched Pokémon with energy. Though Catcher limits Leaf Wallops damage, every Catcher used is one that can't be used later, which is great late game.

Late game is a bit harder, but Terrakion is your star. It takes care of Magnezones and Zekroms easily, and has destructive power when it comes to using Catcher for bench knock outs, especially with Eeletrik.

You can't really give a cookie cutter explanation of how 6 Corners plays its first few turns, it all depends on the variant. I stay away from the attacking aspect of Virizion, and I usually get Catcher kills with Terrakion, or a Glaciate off with Kyurem by the second turn. 6 corners is a deck that you can't really explain through posting, you have to test it if you want to see how good it is, kinda similar to Durant, it shouldn't work, but it does. I wouldn't say it is a tier 1 deck, but it is a relatively large threat, and you should at least have an idea on how to play against it. If you want to test it, you can PM me, and I'll send you my list.

^Hope you meant third turn Glaciate, Gatr is gross...I wouldn't focus on Glaciate till late game, when I can recover.

_5_ Corners (there aren't 6 Pokemon attacking in good HS-ND lists) is terrible if you're not familiar with the deck. 5 Corners is tier one if you play it right. It's only meh matchup is Reshiram which isn't seeing much play after Mewtwo. If 5 Corners is not winning you games you simply are being creamed by Reshiram, misplays, and misfortune.

Going in depth, Terrakion with Dragon/EX walls is a killer combo against Magnezone...They burn Energy to KO till they run out, then you Terra sweep.

Against Zekrom...this is also an OK matchup but better than Reshiram. Terrakion and Dragon walls do you good once again. The only problem is that Zekrom will take the first prize.

It totally beats Vanilluxe. Virizion stall the whole game ftw.

It is even against Durant. Battle of lists here.

It can sometimes beat Chandy if you play Absol.

I'm no CaKE expert, really. Ask someone else.

Overall it has great matchups across the board but won't be as good with ND. The Truth and Corners are great decks but I don't think one is better. Depends on the meta. I like Truth concepts better, personally, but it has flaws that might be easier to deal with in Corners, mainly Chandelure.

^ 6 Corners best matchup is Reshiram. You just sweep the field with Kyurem.

IMO, 6 Corners is easily Tier 1. You just gotta know how to play it, and what cards you can lay down to ruin the other persons day. It abuses Shaymin, Catcher, and Switch to easily outmaneuver the opponent, and disrupts early game with Virizion. Virizion is also a very nice first turn draw power, and it allows you to draw in to the things you need such as Switch, Catcher, and Eviolite.

This is why I prefer "Plan B" decks over "Plan A" decks. Stuff like Truth, CoKE and Corners (though I haven't played it yet) are cool in the sense that you are reacting to what your opponent does. These decks usually take more effort in terms of scouting the metagame but it's usually worth it.

Back