4th Gen Battling In 5th Gen [OU]

H

Hoenn

INTRODUCTION
This team came about after I played on PO during 4th Gen for a bit and wasn't having the best luck. I kept looking into a defense core but couldn't really find anything that was working too well. I kept seeing someone post every now and then about the Fire/Water/Grass core that was so prevalent in 4th Gen UU since they were able to cover each other's weaknesses so well. So I made this team back in my Platinum game and it worked pretty well in the 4th Gen metagame.

Fast forward to 5th Gen and I just was not too impressed with some of the pickings for a team. So I decided to rebuild my 4th Gen team with some of the newer 5th Gen tweaks. I think that the team works really well with its synergy and almost battles in units together.

TEAM BUILDING
134.gif

I started off with the Water member of my FWG core. Vaporeon has been one of the best walls in the game made even better by its ability to wish pass. I knew for a fact that the Water member needed to be bulky and Vaporeon is the definition of a bulky water mon.
205.gif
134.gif

With Vaporeon, I wanted to run a Roar set so I knew I would be needing someone to lay down entry hazards and out of all the pokemon available in the fourth gen, Forry is the best to do that. He is an entry hazard layer and a rapid spinner all in one and he would act as both for my team since he has the capabilities to do that. I was also not concerned with his weakness since obviously Vaporeon and the Fire member of the FWG core could handle it.
205.gif
134.gif
392.gif

Knowing that this team would usually be somewhat stall based, since that is usually how my strategy ends up working since I feel I get the best results with stall. I knew I would need someone to be a wall breaker, to come in and scare away other walls that could try out stall me. I had read very good things about Infernape and despite being frail (I prefer my pokemon overall more bulky) I decided to give him a shot since his stat spread was pretty impressive.
205.gif
134.gif
392.gif
tATvq.gif

Now I was just missing the Grass member of my FWG and it was the most difficult to find. I wanted someone who was not utility based and could deal some damage if I needed it. Someone who was fast enough to outspeed other walls/stallers without much investment. Shaymin fit all of these things in addition to being super cute and having a great ability. I planned to use a Subseed set to compliment my stalling strategy since I felt a special attacking set would make the team too offensive and leave gaps in bulk.
205.gif
134.gif
392.gif
tATvq.gif
094.gif

After looking at my team, I realized with the hazards I would be laying it would be smart to have a spin blocker just to make sure the hazards stayed in play. I didn't want a pokemon that was made to spin block so I decided to go with Gengar since he is a fast poke who could block spins and force switches. Plus he allowed for some pretty decent coverage that helped out the team a lot.
205.gif
134.gif
392.gif
tATvq.gif
094.gif
445.gif

The final member of the team needed to be a powerhouse. Someone that could come in whenever I didn't really know what to do and get some damage on the opponent. He didn't need to be a wallbreaker since I already had one so I decided to just go all-out and bring in Garchomp himself. Now, I know that Garchomp is now Uber and therefore banned by Smogon but remember that I made this team back during 4th Gen before Garchomp was banned and didn't really play again until Gen V when he was no longer banned. Obviously I will need something else to go in that spot but the power and coverage that Chomp brought to the team will be missed.

ANALYSIS

205.gif

ZOIDBERG
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 150 SpD
Nature: Sassy (+spd, -spe)
  • Stealth Rock
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Rapid Spin
  • Gyro Ball
Most of the time, I lead off with Forrey. He can always set up at least one layer of entry hazards and which hazard I do first usually depends on what my opponent's team looks like. This team really benefits from the Toxic Spikes since, as I said, it is semi-stall which you will see from all the sets and EV spreads I have. Aside from getting up the hazards, I like to use Forretress as a punching bag during the middle of the match since it is a lot easier to switch out and have him take the hits that would otherwise be super effective on the rest of the team. If the opponent isn't using a spinner or entry hazards (which I have been seeing a bit more lately for some odd reason) then Forretress acts as death fodder for a bigger threat and just spams Gyro Balls.

I am very happy with this Forretress set and think it works wonders but would like some suggestions in regards to the item he is holding. There is a new berry this Gen, the Cutsap that acts as a Quick Claw when the pokemon is at low health. I saw someone use it on another Ferrothorn once but I feel that it should be combo'd with Explosion or something. I like the Leftovers gain but could see the Cutsap being useful if someone shocks me with an HP Fire. Thank god for the Sturdy buff this Gen though, one of the best things GameFreak has ever done.

134.gif

KATARA
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 198 Def / 60 SpD
Nature: Bold (+def, -atk)
  • Wish
  • Protect
  • Surf
  • Roar
The first member of my team is also the most reliable. Vaporeon takes hits like a champ and always has. Its stellar HP on top of an already huge Special Defense in addition to some Def investment allow it to tank most neutral hits. It can even take some super effective electric attacks pretty well. It walls Politoed's pretty hard despite not being able to do anything to it which is why the Toxic Spikes support is so useful on this game. With the Wish buff this Gen, I knew that Vaporeon was not going anywhere out of OU and while I have never exactly mastered the art of Wish passing, the few times I can pull it off it wins matches.

I think I might switch Surf for Scald, but I don't really like having the conflicting status since I prefer to have the Toxic Spikes up and Scald is basically useless if you are not trying to inflict Burn. It could be useful against steels such as Scizor but I would just be roaring them out anyway or chipping away with Surf since Scizor can't handle Vaporeon too well. HP Fire is also something I considered in that last spot, but I am not sure since Roar is just so handy to phaze stuff that things it can set up on Vaporeon out.

392.gif

GEORGE
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 236 Atk / 22 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty (+spe, -spd)
  • Overheat
  • Close Combat
  • U-Turn
  • Earthquake
Standard Infernape set. Infernape is probably one of the most versatile Fire pokemon out there and can fit into so many niches but due to his frailty he needs a set where he is just hitting hard and then getting out. He is my go-to switch for any fire move directed at Forretress or Shaymin in addition to any Grass move directed at Vaporeon or any Ice directed at Garchomp. He covers the weaknesses of the team very well and I find either using him a ton in the match or not at all. He will either be trying to get some quick KO's or just breaking down walls.

My biggest issue with my team is that overall the speed in 5th Gen is not what it was in 5th. Fast, boosting, sweepers are almost always dangerous for my team. Most notably, Latios. This team never had to deal with that before since it existed in 4th Gen. I am thinking about switching out Infernape's Life Orb for a Choice Scarf since with that +1 boost he would out speed most unboosted Pokemon and a few of the +1s that give this team trouble. However, I do enjoy switching up moves and catching people on the switch with predictions, I'd lose that if I went to Choice Scarf. Ahhh decisions, decisions.

392.gif

LAYLA
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 74 SpA / 184 Spe
Nature: Modest (+spe, -spd)
  • Substitute
  • Leech Seed
  • Seed Flare
  • Hidden Power (Ice)
Shaymin was the only pokemon on this team that actually made me a bit nervous. I had never used one before and wasn't sure if this set would work out well or not. I had only used Breelom as a SubSeeder and loved him but I wasn't sure how this would work if the opponent wasn't asleep. Overall I think that Breelom is a better SubSeeder but Shaymin's offensive movepool brings it home. With Seed Flare and HP Ice, I get pretty sick coverage. However this is from 4th Gen and I believe that HP Fire is all the rage now due to Ferrothorn. I don't know if it is worth switching though since getting that occasional hit on Ferrothorn isn't as worth as Shaymin always hitting Dragons who think they can scare Shaymin out.

I really enjoy Shaymin though, I think it might be a weaker point on my team but I can't think of anything that would do its exact job better. Or I could just be underestimating it most of the time and overestimating it the rest of the time.

094.gif

PEEVES
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+spe, -atk)
  • Disable
  • Substitute
  • Shadow Ball
  • Focus Blast
I am having a love affair with this pokemon. This has got to be the most annoying thing I've ever used and I cannot help but laugh all the time. This is a variant of the Sub/Pain Split Gengar that was a bit popular, although gimmicky last generation. I sub on the first turn and scout for the move. If they go for status, you're safe. Most of the time the enemy thinks you are just using Pain Split so they go to attack again but with the accuracy buff to Disabled, Gengar blocks if they use the same move. Screws people over if they don't predict around it so it is good for the surprise. With sub/disable you waste two turns and with two, or even one, layer of Toxic Spikes up, that matters.

The type coverage Shadow Ball and Focus Blast get together is crazy. The combination of the STAB move and overall high powered move work very well with Gengar's impressive SpA so his attacks do a decent chunk to almost anything that does not resist it. Focus Blast has questionable accuracy but the coverage it gets make up for it hardcore, enough to 2HKO specially defensive Ferrothorn. Sick guy and I never really had too much respect for Gengar until I used him here.

445.gif

TOKER
Item: Yache Berry / Perism Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+spe, -spa)
  • Outrage
  • Earthquake
  • Substitute
  • Swords Dance
I've never really liked whorey OU pokemon. Ones that are always in the top of usage since I don't find that very fun but Garchomp is just something else. I love this dragon so much. I was really impressed with his natural bulk so I decided to just randomly try out a FatChomp during 4th Gen and it took hits pretty well. He shines the most when I bring him in towards the end of the game and my opponent's pokemon aren't carrying super strong attacks.

I can see why he got banned, I get it. But I never personally thought that he was that threatening unless sand storm is up. I will miss this guy but I really need someone to live up to his shoes. His job was basically just be the muscle of the team. Almost like a last resort if everything else I was trying didn't seem to be working. Whoever replaces Chomp will have huge shoes to fill.

My team has some issues with Conkledurr so I was thinking maybe a bulky, special Dragonite? Could be interesting.

THREAT LIST
As I mentioned above, bulky, set-up sweepers like Conkledurr give me some issues. Faster sweepers like Latios also give me some problems since my team is slower over all. I need a more solid way to handle them since Shaymin and Vaporeon can really only do so much together.

Other than that, I haven't had any real issues with this team. If there are any things I am missing, please let me know!

Back