3rd place Battle Roads and still losing Premier Rating points...

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
If you followed my latest tournament adventures, you probably know all about my lucky die. It flips heads 75% of the time for me, and 25% for the opponent...at least in my perspective. Well I realized that I didn't have it, I left it at home. I felt a bit underconfident because of this, but I hoped my spare would work just as fine. Although I went second 3 times in a row, I didn't feel "luck deprived." I ran into no dry hands except for one energyless PONT where I needed it, but that's gotta happen sometime. And hey, it's Quad Terrakion, it BARELY lands into a dry hand. If it does, it topdecks what it needs. That's why I chose it in the first place. Yeah, totally not because I'm a scrub without the Pokemon for my favorite deck in this format, Darkrai/Tornadus.

Seniors had a 4 rounds top 2 tournament. Pretty average where I go regularly, but some areas can be smaller. Especially back in the day, everything was 3 rounds no cut, 3 rounds mixing the divisions, etc. What our average is now was a miracle a year back. This definitely shows an improvement in Pokemon's attendance in general. I'm almost sure every tournament I've been to in general two years in a row has improved in attendance. Maybe someday, in a galaxy far, far away, Seniors will have 6 rounds T8 Battle Roads...

So yeah, if you didn't read the first paragraph, I played Quad Terrakion. If you've never heard of the deck, it's basically 4 Terrakions with EXP Share as a way to accelerate energy after a Terrakion gets KO'd, which also gives 60 extra damage to Retaliate, which has a base of 30. Pretty sweet, hitting for 90, 2HKOing anything in the format without Eviolite and Resistance. The decks I knew that were played were:

2 Trolls (Tornadus (both)/Terrakion/techs) (1 0-4, last, 1 2-2, fifth)
1 Quad Terrakion (3-1 third)
1 KMT (Kyurem EX/Mewtwo EX/Tyrogue) (4-0 top 2, won)
1 CMT (Celebi Prime/Mewtwo EX/Tornadus (both)) (3-1 top 2)
1 Zekeels (Zekrom/Eelektrik/techs) (2-2, 7th)
2 n00b decks (both 1-3, 9th and 8th)
1 Reshiboar (Reshiram EX/Emboar/Tornadus EX) (3-1, fourth)
1 Empoleon/Terrakion (2-2, sixth)

I was shocked by no Darkrai, and that Zekeels, if there were more, would have literally the worst day.

Round 1 (CMT):
We both opened a pretty bad start. He had two Celebis to my Terrakion (I won't even say what I start anymore, haha) and pretty much just passed even though he went first. I was able to KO one Celebi before he set up his Tornadus EX. I was definitely scared, but I had a little something called Lost Remover. He eventually got his 3 Grass on his Tornadus instead, and that basically spelled Y-O-U-R-E-S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Fortunately I was able to knock it out in good time, and he then got out his Mewtwo with his Eviolite on it. I don't know how I sealed the game exactly, but I pulled through thanks to his unfortunate luck.

1-0

Round 2 (Troll with Donphan and Mewtwo):
Downpaired...great. Tornadus and Tornadus EX glared at my Terrakion, but no Eviolite meant a pretty easy win, especially with Lost Removers. His recovery was pretty slow with a Stage 1 combined with all of his other techs, while I had drawn consistently into everything I needed.

2-0

I went to lunch break with the Arenas family and the two Troll players. Hooray for no bacon at a resteraunt that has bacon on almost everything, Denny's...one of the Troll players tore of a piece of the mat and it said: Puppies, with chocolate fudge, to every meal. It was really funny at the time, and became the joke of the day.

Round 3 (KMT):
Yeah, the only bad matchup left, and I had it coming. His Potions and Moomoo Milks had to be frustrating, especially when he landed the double heads that he needed early game. But I had Lost Remover to annoy him, so I could buy some turns. It ended up being extemely close, my two prizes left to his 1. I had game in hand next turn, but he got Oak, Junk Armed to get his PlusPower, retreated his Tyrogue, and used Hail Blizzard for game. He probably would've won anyway, as long as he had Potion to prevent me from KOing Kyurem for two prizes.

2-1

Round 4 (n00b deck):
Downpaired for the second time. Yeah, that screwed my chances of getting top cut. Easy game was easy.

3-1

Well, expecting fourth, I landed a third with my first ever Victory Cup, and barely missing cut. I ended up losing a tad of premier rating, which is hilarious with a 3-1 record. Probably would've lost anyways, considering all of the Top 4 were pretty bad matchups. At least I got a good view of the metagame, so I know now that Durant and Darkrai wouldn't be bad options. My pack pulls were DECENT but not great. I got a Sableye, an Enhanced Hammer, and a Rare Candy. Not too bad, considering they are at least valued.

Props:

Victory Cup
Fun
Denny's not being as bad as I thought
Chocolate fudge covered puppies
Terrakion, resembles the type of deck that I love...cuz pure Fighting with low Pokemon count XP

Slops:

Downpaired twice
Losing points with a 3-1 record

Join me next week for my exciting adventures as I n00b up Battle Roads with Durant!...except I kind of want to try KMT :\

Back