(3) Exciting Battles for Everyone, Plasma Gift Set, BW8 [11/1]

So......TPCi......makin good cards.....way too often......WHY?!

Thundurus EX. Why. Do. You. Get. Back. Special. Energy. Go die now.
Edit: Ghetsis only removes Items? Ok good, I thought it removed ALL trainers D:.

idk guys, I think thundurus EX is pretty balanced... yes he can get sp. energy back for 1 energy, yes he only has 1 retreat and 170hp, but his second attack sucks for the amount of energy you need. Not to mention his fighting weakness and the fact that he will probably only work in either A) lightning based plasma decks, B) Lugia Decks, or C) decks that run 4 plasma badge due to the fact that he needs lightning energy to attack and plasma pokemon to accelerate to. Also we still have landorus EX to hit him for 60 damage on t1 with a lightning resistance.

I can see him doing alright, but unless you're playing eels he'll become a dead card in your hand after T3 (unless you want to give your opponent free prizes or have 2-3 eels on the field...)

The Pikachu Mafia said:
idk guys, I think thundurus EX is pretty balanced... yes he can get sp. energy back for 1 energy, yes he only has 1 retreat and 170hp, but his second attack sucks for the amount of energy you need. Not to mention his fighting weakness and the fact that he will probably only work in either A) lightning based plasma decks, B) Lugia Decks, or C) decks that run 4 plasma badge due to the fact that he needs lightning energy to attack and plasma pokemon to accelerate to. Also we still have landorus EX to hit him for 60 damage on t1 with a lightning resistance.

I can see him doing alright, but unless you're playing eels he'll become a dead card in your hand after T3 (unless you want to give your opponent free prizes or have 2-3 eels on the field...)

Plasma Frigate says hi, on any other turn then turn 1 at least. Also, Lugia covers lightning weakness with it's resistance. Lugia and Lightning Plasma decks that use Lugia will pretty much be 99% of the meta (at least in my head were Lugia is going to be only-deck-in-format broken), assuming nothing else get's printed in Spiral Force/Thunder Knuckle that's totally broken, which I'm sure something will. The point is that Thundurus get's rid of the last flaw Lugia has. It's high energy cost is covered, it's weakness is covered, and now it's huge weakness to Enhanced Hammer and just plain running out of Plasma Energy is covered. Even if Lugia isn't only-deck-in-format broken, then the point still stands that Lugia and even lightning decks with Plasma Pokemon that aren't Lugia (like Rotom) will gain too much power from Thundurus.

Machamp the Champion said:
The Pikachu Mafia said:

Plasma Frigate says hi, on any other turn then turn 1 at least. Also, Lugia covers lightning weakness with it's resistance. Lugia and Lightning Plasma decks that use Lugia will pretty much be 99% of the meta (at least in my head were Lugia is going to be only-deck-in-format broken), assuming nothing else get's printed in Spiral Force/Thunder Knuckle that's totally broken, which I'm sure something will. The point is that Thundurus get's rid of the last flaw Lugia has. It's high energy cost is covered, it's weakness is covered, and now it's huge weakness to Enhanced Hammer and just plain running out of Plasma Energy is covered. Even if Lugia isn't only-deck-in-format broken, then the point still stands that Lugia and even lightning decks with Plasma Pokemon that aren't Lugia (like Rotom) will gain too much power from Thundurus.

I think that Thundurus EX doesn't get rid of Lugia weakness to Enhanced Hammer. Sure, it helps, but think like this:
You have Lugia attacking and discarding Plasma Energy. You get Enhanced Hammer'd. Now you have to retreat Lugia, waste a turn attacking with 30 just to get back the Energy, giving your opponent time to attack, and you can get Enhanced Hammer'd again. I think it would be best paired with other attackers, and I don't think Lugia will be any good if the whole strategy is focused on attacking with him.
I think Thundurus EX could actually be a decent attacker. It does 90 and discards an Energy Card, which can discard Plasma Energy and DCE (I'm assuming you are the one that chooses which Energy to discard), which will be huge.
And I agree with you about something more broken coming out this set. That's probably what's going to happen with one of the EX's in the set.

Roronoa Zoro said:
I think that Thundurus EX doesn't get rid of Lugia weakness to Enhanced Hammer. Sure, it helps, but think like this:
You have Lugia attacking and discarding Plasma Energy. You get Enhanced Hammer'd. Now you have to retreat Lugia, waste a turn attacking with 30 just to get back the Energy, giving your opponent time to attack, and you can get Enhanced Hammer'd again. I think it would be best paired with other attackers, and I don't think Lugia will be any good if the whole strategy is focused on attacking with him.
I think Thundurus EX could actually be a decent attacker. It does 90 and discards an Energy Card, which can discard Plasma Energy and DCE (I'm assuming you are the one that chooses which Energy to discard), which will be huge.
And I agree with you about something more broken coming out this set. That's probably what's going to happen with one of the EX's in the set.

OK yeah, "helps" is a better way to describe it then "fixes". But still, more cards helping Lugia and all Plasma Pokemon is not a good thing.

Machamp the Champion said:
Roronoa Zoro said:

OK yeah, "helps" is a better way to describe it then "fixes". But still, more cards helping Lugia and all Plasma Pokemon is not a good thing.

Yeah, that isn't a good thing to see for sure. I just hope that it doesn't get worse xD

Thundurus is getting more hype than it deserves. Like Roronoa said, you're going to have to retreat every turn for that to work, and with frigate in play SAB isn't an option, and even then, your only attacking for 120 every other turn. Also that's a pure EX deck, meaning you have a bad matchup against klingklank if that sees play, not to mention that darkrai decks (namely hammertime) didn't just fizzle out and die, if thundurus really becomes that good, then Hammertime will slap it down faster than you can say "lugia is bdif" :|

I don't think thundurus is bad, I just think he's wayy to gimmicky to be all that useful in tier 1 decks, unless they print an electric version of dark cloak D:

About the Thundurus translation (and if it gets special energies):

The text we have is "自分のトラッシュからエネルギーを1枚選び、ベンチの「プラズマ団」のポケモンにつける"。Now, the Energy part is just "エネルギー” - if it was referring to basic Energy, then it would be "基本エネルギー".

However, we don't know if this was merely overlooked by the person who provided the text. It also doesn't help any that the image featuring the card is blurry as hell.

For all we know, it could be that it retrieves basic Energy. Time will tell.

Back