Discussion 2018 Season Review TES Article "Last one"

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Hello all and welcome to a TES article where today instead of talking about Worlds or Celestial Storm or the 2019 season. I will be reflecting on the 2018 season. Please note that this will be the last article on pokebeach because of the minimal response on my articles. I will still be writing them but they will start going onto my blog website.
Topics of Discussion.
1.1 Broken Records
1.2 Meta Snapshots (Quarterly)
1.3 Released Sets and Influential cards

Broken Records
Multiple records have been broken from event numbers to results lets have a deeper look.
Events
On the 27th of January the Dallas Regionals broke the record for the highest attendance overall and for an Expanded tournament with 1052 people attending. Although the record for overall highest attendance was quickly snatched by the Collinsville Regionals with 1066 people and the highest attendance for a standard tournament. BUT its not over recently on the 6th July the NAIC broke two records with 1534 people. This event broke both the Standard and overall attendance records.
Another recent record broken is an unusual one which includes our FAVOURITE flexing bug Buzzwole. Buzzroc the most popular deck for ages has scooped the record for the most points and meta share. Buzzroc has smashed the record with 2152 pts and a meta share of 10.52%
Tord Reklev the Trader has broken a record this season with most points of ALL time and most international wins. Tord Reklev has won 3 Internationals and came 2nd at the NAIC with a zoroark control deck.
Quarterly Meta snapshots
When I say quarterly I go for every quarter of events. This is because there aren’t many websites that show league cups and challenges.
Quarter 1
Zoroark, Buzzwole, Gardevoir, Garbodor.
Quarter 2
Zoroark, Buzzwole, Garbodor, Golisopod
Quarter 3
Zoroark, Buzzwole, Malamar, Golisopod
Quarter 4
Zoroark, Buzzwole, Malamar

Sets Released.

Sets released this season include Sun and moon, Guardians Rising, Burning Shadows, Crimson Invasion, Shining Legends, Ultra Prism, Forbidden Light and Celestial Storm.
Influential cards include
Tapu lele GX, Zoroark GX, Reprint of Ultra ball and Rare Candy, Buzzwole GX, Gardevoir GX, Garbodor GRI, Cynthia, Lycanroc GX, Reprints of Hammers, Hoopa, Drampa GX, Tate and Liza, Reprints of Judge. Pokemon fan club, Beast energy, malamar, field blower, rescue stretcher, golisopod GX, Ultra Necrozma GX Oranguru (both). Vikavolt, Choice band, Brooklet hill...

The list goes onnnnn and onnnnn
Thank you for reading this article (Hopefully it isn’t my last.) If you still like my articles you can check out the link below. Blogs will still be posted every Monday and Friday AEST.
Thanks, TES

Good read.

But technically... Sun & Moon, Guardians Rising, and Burning Shadows were all released during the 2017 season, along with nearly half of the influential cards you listed.

Thank you for pointing this out but according to pokemon those three sets were released in the 2018 season due to them being released just before worlds.

I mean, you can't have it both ways. Either they were released in the 2017 season, or nothing since Crimson Invasion counts toward the 2018 season.

February 2017 hardly seems "right before Worlds [in August]." But even if we accept that, it's still a crazy stretch in my eyes to say that a year-long season encompasses 18-months of releases.

Either way though, all of these sets (combined with since older trainers) did definitely define the season. It just depends on whether you're listing what was released vs what was popular.

Back