News 2018 Rotation Announced!

Pretty much expected this... What I didn't expect were the Promos of ancient trait Pokemon staying around - I thought they would make a clean rotation of them in that regard.

Let's see... The biggest cards that will fall by the wayside:

Dive Ball
Level Ball
Trainer's Mail
Vs Seeker
Lysandre
Hex Maniac
Mega Turbo
Sky Field
Rough Seas
Silent Lab
Shrine of Memories
Forest of Giant Plants
Team Magma's Secret Base
Double Dragon Energy
Unown
Mega Rayquaza
Vespiquen
AT Gyarados
Vileplume (Woot!)
Giratina-EX
Lugia-EX
Shaymin-EX
The type-changing Eeveelutions
Crawdaunt
AT Regirock

Probably missed many, but I think this new format will feel like pre-Phantom Forces in terms of pacing - which I don't mind at all!

tfw you were right the entire time
tfw the only relevant promo we lose is Regirock but Yveltal, Hoopa, and Mew-EX are all still legal
tfw Sycamore is the dominant draw supporter for another year while Z-tier cards like Hau fall to the wayside
tfw Flare Grunt and Plumeria are going to be legal in the same format

EfB83H6.png

BKT-on. As if there was any doubt.

@crystal_pidgeot
Who can hate team flare grunt? :^)

I've always accepted Breakthrough-On for the rotation. Just for the sake of changing the game, it should have been Evolutions-On.
No you haven't, as far as I can remember you've been stating that it should be Sun/Moon and beyond, in your words, "Get rid of all the; EXs, Break evolutions, Reprint cards, etc."

No you haven't, as far as I can remember you've been stating that it should be Sun/Moon and beyond, in your words, "Get rid of all the; EXs, Break evolutions, Reprint cards, etc."

I said Evolutions-On, followed by what you said.

Hahahahahaha! I told ya! BKT-on! BKT was the first set ft. BREAK Pokémon. BKP was the second set in the rotation was out of print. It does makes sense, just like Roaring Skies before.
EDIT : I made some changes, because I'm a noob, never notice something. Lol
Salute to the cards who were gives competitive impact:
  • Primal Clash
  1. Wailord EX
  2. Hippowdon
  3. Primal Groudon EX
  4. Camerupt EX
  5. Medicham AT
  6. Archie's Ace in the Hole
  7. Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  8. Swampert AT
  9. Teammates
  10. Shrine of Memories
  11. Silent Lab
  12. Rough Seas
  13. Birch??!
  14. Shield Energy
  • Double Crisis
  1. Team Aqua's Muk
  2. Team Magma's Camerupt
  3. Team Magma/Aqua's Secret Base
  • Roaring Skies
  1. Shaymin EX
  2. Double Dragon Energy
  3. M-Rayquaza EX (Both)
  4. Reshiram
  5. Artucuno AT
  6. Trainers' Mail
  7. Mega Turbo
  8. SR VS Seeker
  9. Steven
  10. Absol
  • Ancient Origins
  1. Regice
  2. Giratina EX
  3. Kanto Eeveelutions
  4. M Sceptile EX
  5. Faded Town
  6. Forest of Giant Plants
  7. Lysandre
  8. Hex Maniac
  9. Ace Trainer
  10. Eco Arm
  11. Entei AT
  12. Gyarados AT
  • Promos
  1. Regirock AT
You forgot Vespiquen and Vileplume.

Can't say I'm sorry to see the back of Shaymin-EX, nor the death of Vileplume/Decidueye (hate that deck). Very glad that the BREAKs survive. Pacing will change a lot now without VS Seeker and Trainers Mail. Biggest annoyance for me is the loss of Lysandre. The last thing we need with Garbodor is the reliance on more items for poke swaps.

I'm nominating VS Seeker as the most impactful loss.

Just some musings but I think, by the rotation of VS Seeker alone, a lot will change. For a start, we're all going to have to think quite a bit more about our Supporter builds + in-game decisions where you may be considering discarding a Supporter with, say, Ultra Ball or Professor Sycamore. Secondly, Garbodor may lose its status as the deck-to-beat through people playing more Supporters and less Items (i.e. no VS Seeker).

Also, Hex Maniac rotating means that we're losing the splashable, universal Ability-counter. Will this cause a resurgence for Ability-focused decks (looking at you Greninja BREAK and Vikavolt)?

Roll on 1st September!

Can't say I'm sorry to see the back of Shaymin-EX, nor the death of Vileplume/Decidueye (hate that deck). Very glad that the BREAKs survive. Pacing will change a lot now without VS Seeker and Trainers Mail. Biggest annoyance for me is the loss of Lysandre. The last thing we need with Garbodor is the reliance on more items for poke swaps.
We're getting Guzma in Burning Shadows, so it's not that much of a loss.

Oh thank goodness it's BKT on. I'm actually kind of excited to see what the format will be like without shaymin, vs seeker, lysandre and some other cards.

I was really suprised when I saw on Twitter that the rotation was announced, but really happy 'bout it. My first year playing Pokémon TCG and also my first rotation. Allready cleaned up my map with playable cards, so I can make awesome new decks!

Oh thank goodness it's BKT on. I'm actually kind of excited to see what the format will be like without shaymin, vs seeker, lysandre and some other cards.
Shaymin-EX and Lysandre already have decent replacements on the scene or, in the case of Lysandre, coming soon so the loss of those two cards isn't going to be that big.

The real loss is with VS Seeker, it'll probably cause a change in the way people build decks and the kinds of plays they'll do. You won't be able to junk Supporters with the guarantee you'll be able to pull them out of the discard pile anymore, now you'll have to be smart about what cards you trash when you play Ultra Ball or similar cards.

I was on the "Good riddance Shaymin" boat for a while, but I've been thinking more and more how much better the format will be without VS Seeker! Loosing that card ups the need to think through every hand. No more 1-of tech supporters that get Sycamored at the beginning of the game only to haunt you later on.

With both Garb's being in format still, it will be interesting to see how to meta shapes up post worlds. I was REALLY hoping for SUM-on format, but I'm excited to see how things evolve.

Oh no we can't mindlessly discard cards without being punished! :(

@Topic:

phFURjV.png

I expect a lot from the first months of rotation. About time VS Seeker, Ultra Ball and Shaymin aren't in the same meta. And the discard pile will soon begin to show it's true form, and it's not one of easy-accessing everything you want when you want.

I wish there was an item/supporter with an effect along the lines of "Choose up to [2/3/4] cards in your opponent's discard pile. Your opponent shuffles those cards into their deck." It would make VS Seeker much more bearable.

Back