• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard 2017 Rotation: Flareon/Volcanion Deck

a_shy_girl_1999

Pikachu Trainer
Heya! So I found a Volcanion deck-list online that I wanted to try out, only I switched some cards around, including dropping Shaymen EX, and a few others and then adding 4 Flareon's (I'm just returning to the game and I don't have money to drop on Shaymen EX). So I wanted to get suggestions on how to make this list better a bit. I feel like it could use more draw since the Shaymens were dropped, but don't know what to add/remove really.

Pokemon: 11
3 Volcanion STS 25
3 Volcanion-EX STS 26
4 Flareon-EX GEN RC28
1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36

Trainers: 37
1 Energy Retrieval
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Float Stone
3 Max Elixir
1 Professor's Letter
1 Super Rod
4 Trainer's Mail
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
1 Fisherman
1 Hex Maniac
1 Lysandre
2 N
2 Ninja Boy
1 Pokémon Ranger
4 Professor Sycamore
2 Scorched Earth

Energy: 12
12 Fire Energy

Thanks! :)

A few thoughts/comments for your consideration:
  • Given the makeup of your deck and from my experience, 3 Stadiums should be a minimum. Some of my Poké pals would even suggest 4 with 1-2 being Parallel City (which is a popular counter-Stadium to a few popular/expected to be popular decks like M Rayquaza EX, Raichu and Xerneas Rainbow.
  • I've still yet to run Hoopa EX in any of my competitive decks... For me, the "need" has just not outweighed the risks/liabilities of that particular EX. In your case, with the 4 Ultra Balls, a solid Item "engine" and Scorched Earth supplemental card draw support, I suspect the need will not be great to run that Pokémon either; it's more of a convenience, IMO, and not critical. Plus, it will definitely "hurt" more in the next season (without AZ nor Cassius) when you start with it
  • Another Supporter one can not afford not to have access to is Lysandre; so, I'd suggest running a minimum of 2 (should 1 ever be prized, you'll have access to another).
  • Like with attacks, I like having multiple card-draw support options. Giovanni's Scheme has become a staple in my decks, not only for the card-draw support, but also for the +20 damage output boost needed at times. Further, there are just times when one would prefer to either play a Professor Sycamore or N.
Suggested deck changes:

-1 Hoopa EX
-1 Float Stone
-1 Max Elixir - not sure if any of these are really needed vs. nice to have
-1 Trainer's Mail - 3 should be sufficient

+1 Volcanion
+1 Lysandre
+1 Parallel City / Scorched Earth
+1 Giovanni's Scheme

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Hi a_shy_girl_1999,

Nice deck. Consider these modifications taking into account that Shaymin Ex is not an option:

- 2 Flareon Ex (secondary attacker that you do not want to start with)
+ 1 Volcanion Ex (great attacker on his own and you want steam uo real bad)
+ 1 Volcanion (this is your perfect starter)
- 1 Hex Maniac (which abilities other than Vileplume do you need to shut down that bad?)
+ 1 Giovanni's Scheme (additional draw and can also be used as a card that boosts your attacks)
- 1 Trainer's Mail (needed the space and three will also do; although four is nice if you have the space)
+ 1 Scorched Earth (three stadium cards at a minimum)

I would consider to keep Hoopa Ex since you also run Ninja Boy and can turn him into Volcanion Ex or another useful attacker. Without two Ninja Boy I would totally agree with TuxedoBlack outside of a Mega evolution deck that does not run at least two Parallel City to get rid of benched Hoopa and Shaymin.

I would not run Parallel City in your specific deck since it reduces attacks from fire, water and grass Pokémon. In any other deck it is a nice M Rayquaza Ex counter but not in this one. From experience in running a Steam Siege Rainbow Xerneas deck Parallel City does not hurt it much at all. Most good Rainbow Force decks will run Volcanion and a stage one dual type to maximize the damage output. This means that even if you reduce their bench space to three they will still be able to hit for 170 with Fighting Fury Belt attached.

Hope this provides some initial assistance.

I will give both suggestions a try. I do like Hoopla however to get more out and then replace using Ninja Boy. So I'd like to keep him in there. I initially picked the 4 Flareon's because it reminds me of the old Gardevoir deck and using energies to beef him up :D but I can see that Volcanion could be better instead.

I didn't even think of Giovanni's Scheme. :eek: That is indeed a great card to help with the draw power! Will be printing off proxies before I buy everything to test out this weekend.

I will be testing my Volcanion deck as well this week, especially the mirror-match. In addition, other decks I plan to test against are: Water Box, M Rayquaza EX, M Mewtwo EX, and Darkrai-Garbodor-Giratina. So, let's to compare notes this coming Sunday or Monday? Thanks.

Also, another idea which I want to test is using Smallcanion to attach 2 fire energies, use energy Reset to get them back to use Steam Up, then get them back with power heater and then repeat it's not that practical but it's an interesting use for Energy Reset

Back