• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard 2017 Giratina/ Lugia EX

Alphahitman4

Quad Sylveon Master
I was making a different deck when it was brought to my attention some of the cards were going to be rotated out. I am new to competitive pokemon and not familiar with the meta unfortunately. I just made a deck i thought could work, any insight would be greatly appreciatted.

Monsters: 10
2 Lugia EX (AOR)
2 Hoopa EX (AOR)
2 Shaymin EX (ROS)
2 Giratina EX (AOR)
1 Manaphy EX (BPT)
1 Jirachi (XY promo)

Trainers: 36
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Trainer Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra ball
2 Hex Maniac
2 N
2 Ninja Boy
2 Special Charge
2 Max Potion
1 Skyla
1 Shauna
1 Lysandre
1 Delinquent
1 Pokemon Ranger
2 Chaos Tower
2 Sky Field
1 Super Rod

Energy: 11
4 Double Colorless
4 Double Dragon
3 Rainbow

The purpose of the deck is to get out Giratina and use chaos wheel and recycle hex maniac to lock down opponent. Have Lugia in there if cannot get Giratina off by not getting dragon energy or to destroy a field card that opponent may have out.

Last edited:
I was making a different deck when it was brought to my attention some of the cards were going to be rotated out. I am new to competitive pokemon and not familiar with the meta unfortunately. I just made a deck i thought could work, any insight would be greatly appreciatted.

Monsters: 10
2 Lugia EX (AOR)
2 Hoopa EX (AOR)
2 Shaymin EX (ROS)
2 Giratina EX (AOR)
1 Manaphy EX (BPT)
1 Jirachi (XY promo)

Trainers: 36
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Trainer Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra ball
2 Hex Maniac
2 N
2 Ninja Boy
2 Special Charge
2 Max Potion
1 Skyla
1 Shauna
1 Lysandre
1 Delinquent
1 Pokemon Ranger
2 Chaos Tower
2 Sky Field
1 Super Rod

4 Double Colorless
4 Double Dragon
3 Rainbow

The purpose of the deck is to get out Giratina and use chaos wheel and recycle hex maniac to lock down opponent. Have Lugia in there if cannot get Giratina off by not getting dragon energy or to destroy a field card that opponent may have out.

Hey Buddy,

I like this deck alot, very interesting. This deck needs some tools for sure, all -EX Basic Attackers, I would run at least 3 Fighting Fury Belt. This Deck would benefit a lot from having 3-4 Shaymins, it's very important that you attach every turn and get that manaphy out ASAP so you're not stuck giving away 2-4 prizes, If you're not running float stones you will probably need 2 Manaphys seeing that if one is prized you are in big trouble if you are lysandered.

The Jirachi is little awkward in the deck, exchange it for another Giratina to increase consistency since it is your main attacker.

I like your support line-up, another skyfield in stead of chaos tower imo,

You could probably cut an ultra ball since you have 2 Hoopa and ideally an additional Shaymin or two.

That's it pretty much it from me.

+3 FFB/ 1 Weakness Policy (Fairy will be very popular imo)
+1-2 Shaymin
+ 1 Giratina
+ 1 SkyField
+1 Manaphy-EX

-1 Sycamore
- 2 Chaos Tower
- Jirachi
-1 Ultra ball

- 1 Delinquent
-1 Ninja Boy

GL!

Last edited:
Hey Buddy,

I like this deck alot, very interesting. This deck needs some tools for sure, all -EX Basic Attackers, I would run at least 3 Fighting Fury Belt. This Deck would benefit a lot from having 3-4 Shaymins, it's very important that you attach every turn and get that manaphy out ASAP so you're not stuck giving away 2-4 prizes, If you're not running float stones you will probably need 2 Manaphys seeing that if one is prized you are in big trouble if you are lysandered.

The Jirachi is little awkward in the deck, exchange it for another Giratina to increase consistency since it is your main attacker.

I like your support line-up, another skyfield in stead of chaos tower imo,

You could probably cut an ultra ball since you have 2 Hoopa and ideally an additional Shaymin or two.

That's it pretty much it from me.

+3 FFB/ 1 Weakness Policy (Fairy will be very popular imo)
+1-2 Shaymin
+ 1 Giratina
+ 1 SkyField
+1 Manaphy-EX

-1 Sycamore
- 2 Chaos Tower
- Jirachi
-1 Ultra ball

- 1 Delinquent
-1 Ninja Boy

GL!
Thanks for your input and thoughts on the deck. I will defintley add the fighting fury belts and ninja boy does make more sense. Unfortunately atm I can't see being able to get anymore Shaymin, Giratina or Manaphy but maybe by sept. 1 i can. As well with your other ideas I will try those adjustments and see how the deck goes. Any other people's opinions or ideas on how to make this as competitive as it can be?

Monsters: 12
2 Lugia EX (AOR)
2 Hoopa EX (AOR)
3 Shaymin EX (ROS)
3 Giratina EX (AOR)
2 Manaphy EX (BPT)

Trainers: 40
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Trainer Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra ball
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Hex Maniac
2 N
2 Ninja Boy
2 Special Charge
2 Max Potion
1 Skyla
1 Shauna
1 Lysandre
1 Delinquent
1 Pokemon Ranger
2 Parallel City
3 Sky Field
1 Super Rod

4 Double Colorless
4 Double Dragon
3 Rainbow

This is adjusted so far I have made. Anyone has another ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciatt it. As a side note I have noticed on ebay that Giratina EX have gone up in proice, is that mean people are ptoetnailly looking to play more giratina EX decks this coming rotation any one believes?

The changes that i'll make are these:

REMOVE

-1 hoopa Ex (Two are too many, they're literally food for lysandre)
-1 Delinquent
-1 Hex maniac
-2 Max potion
-1 shauna
-3 Sky field (You don't have any raichu or zoroark, why playing these?)
-4 DCE
-3 Rainbow
-1 Special charge

ADD

+4 max Elixir
+1 Enhanched Hammer
+10 water energy
+1 Lysandre
+1 N

These are the changes that i'll make in a deck like this.
I'll use the max elixir engine to prepare the main attacker in just one turn,
just think to a ready giratina that strike down just from the beginning, and thanks to manaphy ability he can also free retreat!
(But beware to garbodor's rise in early season)
-1 Hoopa to avoid being lysandre treat! remember that could happen, and many times!
+1 N To help you in therms of drawing power, and an enhanched hammer in case of mirrors or rayquaza

The changes that i'll make are these:

REMOVE

-1 hoopa Ex (Two are too many, they're literally food for lysandre)
-1 Delinquent
-1 Hex maniac
-2 Max potion
-1 shauna
-3 Sky field (You don't have any raichu or zoroark, why playing these?)
-4 DCE
-3 Rainbow
-1 Special charge

ADD

+4 max Elixir
+1 Enhanched Hammer
+10 water energy
+1 Lysandre
+1 N

These are the changes that i'll make in a deck like this.
I'll use the max elixir engine to prepare the main attacker in just one turn,
just think to a ready giratina that strike down just from the beginning, and thanks to manaphy ability he can also free retreat!
(But beware to garbodor's rise in early season)
-1 Hoopa to avoid being lysandre treat! remember that could happen, and many times!
+1 N To help you in therms of drawing power, and an enhanched hammer in case of mirrors or rayquaza

Thank you for your insight,with your changes,would Lugia still be viable with no DCE? I like 2 Hoopa , because if one gets prized then I can still pull it out. I would not bring them out at the same time. Unfortunatley I am not familiar of which version of Raichu or Zoroark. I do like the idea of trying to incorporate a max elixer engine but eliminating all double colorless, im not sold on. Any additonal thoughts I would really appreciate and be open to

Last edited:
Thank you for your insight,with your changes,would Lugia still be viable with no DCE? I like 2 Hoopa , because if one gets prized then I can still pull it out. I would not bring them out at the same time. Unfortunatley I am not familiar of which version of Raichu or Zoroark. I do like the idea of trying to incorporate a max elixer engine but eliminating all double colorless, im not sold on. Any additonal thoughts I would really appreciate and be open to

Well, the elixir engines works well with basic energies, and 10 is the minimum number of basics.
Take example from giratina dragons or waterbox!
And remember, too much special energy are bait for hammers, and clogs your hand

Well, the elixir engines works well with basic energies, and 10 is the minimum number of basics.
Take example from giratina dragons or waterbox!
And remember, too much special energy are bait for hammers, and clogs your hand

Oh ok by chance you would have a link or could post copy of a decklist of one of those I could look at. And i see what you mean about special energies, but then if i have no DCE should Lugia be played?

Monsters: 11
2 Lugia EX (AOR)
1 Hoopa EX (AOR)
3 Shaymin EX (ROS)
3 Giratina EX (AOR)
2 Manaphy EX (BPT)

Trainers: 38
4 Professor Sycamore
4 Trainer Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra ball
4 Max Elixer
3 Fighting Fury Belt
1 Hex Maniac
1 Enhanced Hammer
2 N
2 Ninja Boy
1 Special Charge
1 Skyla
1 Shauna ( atm only have 2 N)
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Ranger
3 Parallel City
1 Super Rod

Energy: 14
4 Double Dragon
10 Water energy

this current deck, i am at 63 so need to cut 3, i put in a 3rd parallel city after takin out sky filed, felt like 2 stadiums in itself for a deck is bit low. Any additionl insight i would greatly appreciate

Last edited:
When Parallel City is not crucial to the deck's strategy, it is fine to have only two. I would also cut Shauna (two shuffle draw cards are enough with VS Seeker) and one Ninja Boy (not essential to your deck's survival), one Trainer's Mail (would reduce consistency, but only by a bit), or Skyla (Not normally worth your Supporter for the turn). I would also increase the Hex Maniac count by one, as it is the only way you get around Vileplume/Trevenant/Carbink.
P.S. I'm not quite sure if Lugia truly pairs well with Giratina (as compared to Xerneas BREAK or Darkrai EX), but if it works well for you, that's all that matters.

When Parallel City is not crucial to the deck's strategy, it is fine to have only two. I would also cut Shauna (two shuffle draw cards are enough with VS Seeker) and one Ninja Boy (not essential to your deck's survival), one Trainer's Mail (would reduce consistency, but only by a bit), or Skyla (Not normally worth your Supporter for the turn). I would also increase the Hex Maniac count by one, as it is the only way you get around Vileplume/Trevenant/Carbink.
P.S. I'm not quite sure if Lugia truly pairs well with Giratina (as compared to Xerneas BREAK or Darkrai EX), but if it works well for you, that's all that matters.

Thanks for the advice, I did like Hex at 2. i see what you are saying about paralel city as well as skyla.... With no DCE i def do not see lugia as being very helpful or playable. Would Gyrados EX be better fit? partially throwin it out there cuz i have 2 full art gold rimmed ones in my binder that are sweet and would love to play if would be good fit. Not sure on feasability but i could use gyrados rough seas attack to get energy attached and then nija boy for Giratina EX
I took out 1 skyla, 1 shauna and 1 parallel city and put in 1 hex maniac.. so need to cut 1 more.
Edit: Just realzied i didnt put enhcnaced hammer in new decklist, so i still need to cut 2

Last edited:
Back