ORAS 2016 VG Format Announced, More Legendary-Friendly

While I'm finally glad that we have the details for the 2016 VGC format, it does leave me a bit... underwhelmed. Out of a selection of a six Pokemon Team, two will be legendaries.

And out of the four chosen for the Doubles Format, more than likely both legendaries will be
on their rotation.

While I do see this opens things up more in selection, it almost feels somewhat... limiting.

Oh man. I am excited for the prospect of being able to use legendaries in battle but I think a little bit of balancing should be done. Normally I think people call for bans too often and I think even pokemon like Mega Kang can be countered but Mega Ray just hits way too hard with very little in the means of counters. On the flip side Deoxys is banned even though it's not event exclusive anymore. I don't think Deoxys would even be that bad for the format (relatively speaking) aside from maybe attack form. Overall I'm not sure if I'm glad or disappointed but at the very least the format will be freshened up a bit. I'm definitely gonna be trying out some of these legendaries and I can hopefully be able to utilize imposter ditto finally.

I think Mega Ray isn't as scary as, say, a Power Herb Geomancy Xerneas backed up with Follow Me support. Mega Ray also isn't that impressive when you consider that bringing it takes up both a Legend slot and your Mega Evolution on your team.

What I don't understand is Deoxys. It's not an event-only Pokemon anymore, it's part of ORAS's main gameplay in the Delta Episode. Why is it still banned? I wanted to try out my old defense Deoxys in a modern doubles setting.

You mean the Xerneas I just SR'd for is LEGAL?
hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: I've calmed down now, and though ymmv regarding this change, it fundamentally flips the format on its head and that excites me. I actually have new cores available and new options to fill out slots, both with the new pokémon and with checks to the new pokémon.
How else would they have done that, barring a new game?
No doubt we'll get frustrated after a while facing down the same team, but that happens in pretty much every format. I'm curious to see how the format balances itself.

Last edited:
I think Mega Ray isn't as scary as, say, a Power Herb Geomancy Xerneas backed up with Follow Me support.

Why stop there ;D

Have a Dark Void Smeargle next to it, put enemies to sleep and then use Transform to turn into a Xerneas including the Geomancy boost.

Rayquaza actually isn't that great due it being a glass cannon that relies on single-target moves. VGC16 is the reign of Groudon.

From the few VCG16 games I played on showdown, P-don and power herb Xerneas make up the dominating core. Heres to hoping the meta will evolve a little (doubt it though).

Last edited:
Back