2015 - 2016 Format Predictions

I think the reason why everything will be nice for XY-on is because every strong EX deck loses at least 1 or more tools that made it so dominant.

-Yveltal EX loses Darkrai EX, Garbodor, and LaserBank.

-Mega Kanga and Gardy EX drop Max Potion.

-Seismitoad EX loses LaserBank, Crushing Hammer (unless it becomes KSS-on), Reshiram, Garbodor, and more.

-Fighting decks lose Terrakion and Landorus-EX. Bye bye T1 donks from LandoBats!

-Gengar EX loses Zekrom & Sigilyph.

-Dialga EX and Mega Aggron EX lose Keldeo EX with Float Stone.

-Camerupt EX loses Emboar, though I do think that Magmarupt works well.

-Primal Kyogre EX loses Manaphy from Plasma Storm along with Keldeo EX with Float Stone. I've tried Lapras with Trick Coin and it is a tiny bit better because of the extra HP, but it lacks Final Wish.

-I can't think of anything specific that Primal Groudon EX loses, though.

Without Safeguarders AND Virgen come September, I'm afraid Seismitoad-EX will replace the Landorus component from Landobats, and maybe it will fall to tier 2 as a result...

^ I'm not worried about rotation, though. Why? Because of Roaring Skies' introduction of not only the second colorless Mega, but with that same Mega being the first one w/ a Ancient Trait that acts like a Spirit Link w/o the pokemon tool attachment, giving us all some sort of consolation prize for our losing of the other good stuff that we've grown so fond of in the BW edition of the Pokemon TCG...

^ You know, that reminds me: If Max Potion is going to be rotated, I know of a good replacement: Full Restore, a card that was never made into a Pokemon Card in any set released so far, including all of the Wizards and other pre-BW sets, and we still have yet to see a Full Restore pokemon card in any set, so hopefully TPCi can find a way to replace Max Potion before D-Day for all our beloved BW-era staples arrives, whether it is Full Restore or something else...

I don't know how Full Restore would be able to work without as a direct upgrade to Max Potion (and they seem to have started downgrading good items into Supporters).

It would've been great as an Ace Spec, but they sadly wasted that on Gold Potion.

What Competitive Decks Would Look Like in the XY-On Format

Yveltal
Pokémon

• 4x Yveltal-EX
    4x Yveltal
Trainer/Supporter/Stadium

• 3x Ultra Ball
    1x Repeat Ball
    4x Muscle Band
    4x Red Card
    4x Roller Skates
    3x VS Seeker
    1x Professor's Letter
    2x Switch
    1x Escape Rope
    1x Energy Switch

4x Professor Sycamore
    4x Shauna
    2x Lysandre
    1x Xerosic
    1x Teammates
    1x Professor Birch's Observations

3x Shadow Circle
Energy

• 8x Dark Energy
    4x Double Colorless Energy

Decks are a LOT less crowded in XY-On.

cardgjammer said:
Without Safeguarders AND Virgen come September, I'm afraid Seismitoad-EX will replace the Landorus component from Landobats, and maybe it will fall to tier 2 as a result...

^ I'm not worried about rotation, though. Why? Because of Roaring Skies' introduction of not only the second colorless Mega, but with that same Mega being the first one w/ a Ancient Trait that acts like a Spirit Link w/o the pokemon tool attachment, giving us all some sort of consolation prize for our losing of the other good stuff that we've grown so fond of in the BW edition of the Pokemon TCG...

^ You know, that reminds me: If Max Potion is going to be rotated, I know of a good replacement: Full Restore, a card that was never made into a Pokemon Card in any set released so far, including all of the Wizards and other pre-BW sets, and we still have yet to see a Full Restore pokemon card in any set, so hopefully TPCi can find a way to replace Max Potion before D-Day for all our beloved BW-era staples arrives, whether it is Full Restore or something else...

When it comes to reprinting staples that have been around for close to forever, the Pokemon Company is honestly just using a dart board for card decisions. Pokedex and PlusPower still have yet to return, along with Super Rod and Level Ball for those Stage 2 decks.

GadgetJax said:
When it comes to reprinting staples that have been around for close to forever, the Pokemon Company is honestly just using a dart board for card decisions. Pokedex and PlusPower still have yet to return, along with Super Rod and Level Ball for those Stage 2 decks.

I think Pokemon Fan Club and Muscle Band are supposed to replace Level Ball and Plus Power respectively. I'd like to see Super Rod back but I suspect we might just have to slum it with Sacred Ash.

Pokedex will probably resurface eventually. I'm surprised there wasn't one in XY or KSS since that was the last time there was a new Pokedex design. It seems like a natural fit for the KSS.

Why is the PFC a replacement of Level Ball? There is like no resemblance that I can see...

bbninjas said:
Why is the PFC a replacement of Level Ball? There is like no resemblance that I can see...

I can't see it either, to be perfectly honest. If we're going to get Level Ball back, though, it''d (hopefully) be before XY-on rotates in or it'd be awkward for everyone.

leobandit121 said:
Do you think Pyroar will make a comeback in a XY-On format?

I highly doubt Pyroar will. Megas can hit through the shield, which is starting to become a primary part of our meta. Other than that, many stage 1 decks are starting to shine, making Pyroar even less viable.

leobandit121 said:
Do you think Pyroar will make a comeback in a XY-On format?

There is a M-Manectric-Pyroar deck floating around, with a thick line of M-Manectric, 2 Intimidating Mane Pyroar and 2 Flare Command Pyroar. The Flare Command Pyroar are more important to the strategy than the Intimidating Mane Pyroar though- you use Flare Command to keep calling out the target you want so you can 2HKO it with M-Manectric, which you keep healthy by rotating and using healing cards. Intimidating Mane is just there as a tech/option for when you come up against Dialga, Florges, VirGen etc.

I feel like Xy-on would be HUGE. WE would be rotating 5 set, the most in a LOOONNNGGG time. I feel the the 4 for LTR-on or even 3 for PLB-on seems more realistic. Last year, everyone thought PLS-on but noooo.

socery said:
I feel like Xy-on would be HUGE. WE would be rotating 5 set, the most in a LOOONNNGGG time. I feel the the 4 for LTR-on or even 3 for PLB-on seems more realistic. Last year, everyone thought PLS-on but noooo.

Still though, it feels like they're preparing for a huge rotation. They've reprinted a ton of pre-XY mechanics in various forms and introduced the Expanded format to keep pre-XY cards useful.

My money is definitely on XY-on.

Back