2012/2013 Season: Updated with 3-0 Prerelease Report (Season: 72 CP)

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Spoiler alert: It's totally not.

Here's some backstory of how the deck came about.

So Darkrai and his good pal Gold Breaker Bouffalant walk into a bar. The waiter, who was a Mewtwo, greeted them and said "What'll you guys have?" The Sableye in the corner just grinned and said you guys should have what I'm having. So they did and sat together at the table of awesomeness. It was such a grand time they had together that they decided to join forces and create an awesome deck.

This is a tale of that deck in action.

Note: Details are fairly sketchy because most of the matches were fairly quick and boring. Enjoy!

Round 1: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Darkrai/Landorus EX

I don't start with hardly any Energy but I manage to get slowly set up with a Sableye and Computer Search and using Juniper to draw through my deck quickly. I set up Bouffalant right away because he only needed the two Energy that I had in my hand and I start hitting Darkrais like a truck. My opponent starts way worse than me not seeing a single Supporter or Energy. I charge up a Darkrai and a Mewtwo on the Bench and he scoops soon after.

Record: 1-0

Round 2: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Empoleon/Terrakion/Dusknoir

I start Mewtwo and have DCE but I go second and he N's it away but I get Computer Search instead so I was still able to X-Ball. I opt to go super aggressive this match not even opting to Junk Hunt because he had multiple Terrakions out that I needed to deal with. I 2HKO one, Catcher a Piplup and work on the second Terrakion. He scoops very soon after.

Record: 2-0

Round 3: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Darkrai/Roserade

I start Bouffalant and a pretty crappy hand. I have to charge it up manually with three Darks but once I do, I'm 2HKOing his Darkrais. He had a super slow start that Roserade (and Devolving Roserade) couldn't even fix. By the time he got a Darkrai attacking, I had my own out and he was only able to hit it once before I took all my Prizes.

Record: 3-0

Round 4: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Rayquaza/Eelektrik

I start Sableye and I'm able to get a T2 Darkrai with an Energy Switch and a Dark Patch off of the N I played. From there I'm able to Catcher an Eel and put 30 on a Shiny Ray. Rinse and repeat and she scoops very soon after.

Record: 4-0

Round 5: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Mewtwo/Tornadus/Eelektrik

The streak of nobody taking a Prize on me was alas over this round. I had a very slow start (and went second which didn't help) and had a Darkrai and a Mewtwo Prized. I opted to use my other Mewtwo early to respond to his early Tornadus EX but that was a mistake as he just used his Mewtwo and easily rolled me with Tornadus EX and a couple Max Potions. By the time I got Darkrai out attacking, it was far too late.

Record: 4-1

Round 6: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Hammertime

After that loss I knew that if I lost this Round, it would be super sketchy if I could still make Top 8. My Resistance was fairly poor because my Round 1 opponent dropped. This ended up being the closest match of the day but ends up not so spectacularly at the end.

I have a fairly slowish start after one of my Darkrais was able to be 2HKO'd before I could charge one up myself. Once I did get one out though, I focused on spreading my Night Spears around on his three Darkrais and do the Hail Mary move which was N him down to a low number and come in with Gold Breaker Bouffalant and clean up my Prizes. This ends up being a very risky play as in the process, I use all my Catchers and he's able to set up a fourth Darkrai up as well. The field looks pretty good in my favor though. My Eviolites on Darkrai ensure that I get 3HKO'd and Mewtwo and Bouffalant were fairly fresh (or at least fresh enough to not be OHKO'd). This was very important because in the late game, he only had one more Prize to take. He ends up using Bianca for six out of a 13ish card deck fishing for his last Catcher and...he whiffs. What he could have done instead was use Sableye (and the Energy Switch he had played that turn) and Junk Hunted for Catcher+Energy Switch. I was fairly sure I had used/discarded all of mine that I had left (pretty stupid move on my part) so I wouldn't have been able to take the two Prizes that I had left. Oh well, I escaped that one fairly well and we both end up making Top Cut in the end (me as the 4th seed, him as the 7th seed). Huzzah!

Record: 5-1

Top 8: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Darkrai/Terrakion

These two games went pretty much the same way. I set up Darkrai by T3 or earlier and start chipping away with Night Spears as he can't really set up anything besides Darkrai and Sableye. I never even saw Terrakion hit the board.

Record: 6-1

Top 4: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Landorus EX/Tornadus EX/Sigilyph

So I was pretty much dreading playing this deck the whole day. I reasoned in my head that this deck is probably the closest thing there is to an autoloss when the only non-EX attacker that you run is a Gold Breaker Bouffalant that does 60 to a Sigilyph. Funnily enough, both matches turned out exactly how I predicted.

He starts Landorus EX early and spreads a lot of damage keeping up early pressure while setting up a Tornadus EX and a Sigilyph or two on the Bench. I just don't have an answer for really anything in his deck. I try to use Mewtwo early against Landorus but I get hit back and the damage would end up perfectly that Sigilyph would kill me if I attached to Mewtwo again (not to mention the fact that he uses Gold Potion and wipes out all the turns of damage I tried to deal). I set up Bouffalant but I'm quickly Catchered and hit by Landorus making it virtually ineffective. Sableye with my one-of Dark Claw couldn't even make an appearance although that didn't end up mattering too much. Compound that with multiple Eviolites on everything on his Board and a First Ticket that he played the second game (so I couldn't even go first) and you have a pretty abysmal exit.

Record: 6-2

Props:

30 CP
4 Packs (Gold Potion in one of them)
First Top Cut in ages (and first at a Cities)
Gold Breaker Bouffalant DOING WORK pretty much all day
Computer Search

Slops:

Lost to autoloss
Pretty much all crappy games (one drawn out one but I'm pretty sure my opponent could have won)
Playing on my knees Round 1
First Ticket

dmaster out.

RE: This is like the most original deck right? (Top 4 Masters Report)

I've looked At darmanitan BC as a heavy hitter for a non ex. Any damage taken and he does 120 damage no matter the opponent. It does lack the resistance that bouffalant has, but I thought in my test runs it really helped me out. Though I haven't played in an actual tournament yet(pretty close just waiting on a few more staples in trades) I added it as a 2-2 line so maybe hammerhead would backfire enabling darmanitan 120 damage attacks. Of course lands judgements ends all of that but it sets things up well for a finish by darkrai.

What do you think?(and congrats on your good finish)

I honestly don't like any evolutions in this kind of deck. It's really right where I want it consistency wise and cutting anything would hurt the overall structure. There were a couple times where I just topdecked a Bianca or a Juniper and it got me instantly in the game and if I had to cut any of those kinds of things, the deck would just fall apart even more than it already does. I don't think there's really anything I can do about a tag team of Landorus early and Sigilyph late tbh. It's just like one of the hardest counters I've seen in this metagame toward this deck at least. But thanks anyway!

dmaster out.

Ok, Thanks. Yeah, I used the darmanitan at the prerelease and decided that I wanted to build it into my deck. I had been thinking about bouffalant, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the report, it's pretty helpful.

You're welcome.

I highly recommend the deck to anyone. It's good, strong, and is consistent. :D Just watch out for those Sigilyph.

dmaster out.

Would you by any chance be willing to post your list? I'm curious as to how you built it with Bouffalant (I mean, it's probably just a standard list with +1 Bouffalant, but you get my point :p). If you don't want to that's fine too.

Congrats on getting Top 4! Sucks to lose to something like a Sigilyph (and First Ticket too >_<)

You're absolutely right, the decklist is about as standard as you could think. The only offbeat "tech" in the deck is a single Dark Claw lol.

But I can PM you it.

dmaster out.

This is like the most original deck right? Part 2: Cities Top 8 Masters Report

Well, I've never done this before, but I'm not going to bother making a new thread for this one (it was a good tournament though because I made top cut so I got a little bit more points).

This is Part 2.

All the Pokemon were still at the bar the next week and they were absolutely wasted. They were so drunk that they just decided to say screw it, change one card and go back in the deck. That's pretty much what went down.

Note: Details will probably be sketchy again. (This is what alcohol does to you jk).

Round 1: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Mewtwo/Tornadus/Eelektrik

Same opponent from Round 5 last week so that's always fun, especially in the first Round. I get a fairly good start this game with no key attackers Prized. He gets a pretty strong start but getting Lightning in the Discard Pile seemed to be extremely difficult for him. After he takes two Prizes, I N him to four and he proceeds to dead draw no Supporters or really anything that can help him and I manage to power through with Darkrai and Bouffalant.

Round 2: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Darkrai/Mewtwo

Ah, mirror match. I have Energy issues this game with most of them clumping on the bottom (one Juniper I got all Supporters and such and the next I get 3 DCE+2 Dark, etc.), but her start was abysmal and all she really gets out is Sableye and a single Dark and basically dead drew until I won.

Round 3: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Mewtwo/Tornadus/Eelektrik

This was by far the best and closest match I had on the day Prize wise. It ended up going into time and +3 as well which was surprising to me because my matches rarely go into time.

I had to play it pretty much perfectly in order to win though. She had a fast start with three Eelektriks out and I'm facing a fully charged Bouffalant to the face. Luckily, I have Eviolite on my Bouffalant so I can win the Bouffalant war (lol, not really because she had Max Potion in her deck). Hitting it once was a little ineffective as I needed to start chipping away against her Eelektriks first. I manage to catcher two of them over the course of the game (one very late) to limit her options to Dynamotor things. She burned through her deck pretty fast and used up all her Catchers and a light bulb clicked on in my head. On my field, I could have Mewtwo down (she had hers but mine was safe), a Darkrai, and a Bouffalant (oh by the way, I had all three Sableyes prized this game, fun times) and I could alternate between Darkrai and Bouffalant and keep everything pretty much not KO'd. I conserved my Catchers hardcore this match and I had one left in my deck with a way to draw it the next turn. The only way that she could have won is if she had one of her last N but it didn't come down so I just revenge Mewtwo instead and eek out a close victory.

Round 4: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Mewtwo/Tornadus/Eelektrik

This wasn't really competitive at all but I managed to draw it out as long as I could. I had two Darkrai and two Catcher prized (along with an Energy Switch), so once I layed down my third Darkrai from the deck and he took it out, I knew it was pretty much over as even the ability to have free Retreat is so essential to this deck. We played a little bit of a Bouffalant war while we both dead drew a little, but I couldn't get my Eviolite on mine (to win the war lol) and he also had Max Potion which was a bummer. My last ditch desperation move came with a Catcher and a Confuse Ray but it was just not enough to counteract those abysmal Prizes.

Record: 3-1

Round 5: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Rayquaza/Eelektrik

I went first. Start Mewtwo+DCE. Donk lone Tynamo. Tis the format for the donking. FA LALALALALALALALA

In all seriousness, that is the risk of playing that kind of deck where Mewtwo and Landorus are literally swarming the local metagame.

Round 6: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs (Vulpix Yolk) Landorus EX/Tornadus EX/Sigilyph

This was all around a pretty strange game on both sides. He dead drew for the majority of the game and it set him back extremely far as I was able to take four or so Prizes before he could even get anything. He did manage to get a Computer Search and get N to get me to a low number of cards and mount a comeback though. It was at this point that I noticed, wow, I really burned through my deck quickly. In fact, too quickly actually. He had four Prizes to take and I had 1 in the later turns. I manage to N my hand of six away and draw only one and I wasn't worried at all about potentially losing but little did I know that it was actually possible. He managed to draw all of his cards as well but he had a Super Rod (strange, but nifty inclusion that ended up winning him the match) and he was able to retreat between all the different Basics that I couldn't KO in one hit (Tornadus, Sigilyph, etc) and I ended up decking out.

Had I placed my Night Spear bench damage correctly, I might have been able to actually pull out the win (I know I placed 30 on a Mewtwo when I could have targetted down one of the other EXs that had 90 and I could have placed another 30 on it in the last turn). I can't remember if he had a Max Potion in the later turns though because if he did, I might still not have had enough turns to win. Alas, it was a little too late as burning through my deck ended up costing me as I had used all my Catchers and resources. Despite all of that though, I managed to make it in the Top 8 as one of the highest 4-2s (and the eighth seed) and ended up facing the first seed with the deck that will just not go away lol.

Record: 4-2

Top 8: Darkrai/Mewtwo vs Landorus EX/Tornadus EX/Sigilyph

Yeah, I'll just say Game 1 and Game 3 were pretty much the same. He got to go first and pretty much set up a couple Sigilyph and there was pretty much nothing I could do. I managed to actually take Game 2 though with a T2 Bouffalant using Gold Breaker on a Sigilyph and he scooped after because he didn't get a Supporter or another Basic. Pretty much took the God hand to do that though as I even got my one of Tool Scrapper from a Juniper.

Record: 4-3

Oh well, got +20 points which is pretty nice all things considered.

Pros:

20 CP
Had an epic close game
Computer Search (I swear to God it was in my opening hand more than any other card in the deck.)
Squeezed in Top 8 as I was just about to pack up my deck lol
Meeting Vulpix Yolk and a couple other Members
Taco Bell (That's my jam.)

Cons:

Sigilyph
Donking
Possible misplaying?
Decked out

dmaster out.

RE: This is like the most original deck right? 2nd Place BR Report

I just decided to squeeze this in this old thread instead of making a whole new thread for it.

I got some Kicker CP from one States, so that put me up to 60 CP.

The local BR was today and I ended up getting 2nd Place (12 more CP putting me at 72). This is how it ended up.

Just decided to play practically the same deck/list that I did at States (adding 2 Absol PF into the mix). Barely played any of it in the weeks leading up knowing that I could play the deck basically blindfolded.

Round 1: Darkrai/Sableye vs Darkrai/Sableye/Hammers

Starting off with dat mirror match. His Hammers were pretty miss and he potentially misplayed by getting back two Hammers and immediately playing N the next turn after I got two Dark Patches back. Could have potentially made things a lot closer but by the end I have two fully set up Darkrais and just steamroll.

Round 2: Darkrai/Sableye vs Gothitelle/Acellgor/Float Stone

This was an interesting match. He got two Gothitelles out T2 and I figured Absol was the best way to combat things early only needing two Energy to attack. I had gotten a Laser on Gothita for a crucial 10 damage and I poke with Absol for only 40. As the game progressed, I could do 80 with Absol for the KO and he missed a turn of Lock on the Keldeo allowing me to use Rush In the whole game. I weathered the storm of Gothitelle and started setting up Darkrais. Once Goths went down, I went to town with Darkrai and steamrolled.

Round 3: Darkrai/Sableye vs Big Fighting Basics (Landorus)

He only got one Landorus out the whole game and didn't get a Basic after two turns. I Virbank+Laser and my hand is absolute crap. Top-deck Computer Search and go to town with T3 (I believe) Darkrai KOing the Landorus with Poison.

Round 4: Darkrai/Sableye vs Keldeo/Black Kyurem/Blastoise

This game was scary and close. I draw basically nothing for the first third of the game but he played Beach and I was able to use it over two turns for a ton of draw (six on the second turn of using it). I finally get a Supporter and things are going down. I'm down three Prizes and he has a massive Keldeo out that has been Lasered and has a good amount of damage on it. I N and take the KO and the deficit is only one. He's got Black Kyurems going now, but he whiffs the Energy to BB and instead has to Slash so I take out his Blastoise and now he's essentially in top-deck mode. Slashes again and I catcher the other Kyurem and eventually get a turn where I almost take four Prizes in one but I accidentally didn't play the Laser I had in hand lol. Luckily he was only at three Prizes and I just come up with the Darkrai and have the Energy to Night Spear again. Apparently it was his first Tournament, but he played good to get there, so congrats to him. I'll take the win.

Record: 4-0

Round 5: Darkrai/Sableye vs Landorus/Deoxys/Plasma Badge

This game was super anti-climatic. I start Darkrai to his Landorus. He Ghetsis's some unimportant Trainers away but gets Deoxys+Plasma Badge+Laser to poke Darkrai for 90. I'm left with Juniper and I need a Basic or a Max Potion or I lose and...no Basic/Max Potion so I lose lol.

All in all, it was a pretty good season. I ended out with more CP than I would have gotten last year in almost the same amount of Events that I went. Darkrai ended up getting me all my points which is kind of funny. I'm not sure if I'm going to any more tournaments, but if I'm not, that last match pretty much defined how the whole format this was this year lol. I can't complain though, got 2nd Place, some CP and four packs of pretty nice stuff (down below in Props).

Props:

2nd Place
12 CP
Tornadus EX PF Full Art
Absol PF
Computer Search (still a pretty good card lol) Really deserves to be in all three Props

Slops:

Winning/Losing with only one Pokemon out in each game

dmaster out.

RE: This is like the most original deck right? (Top 4 Cities, Top 8 Cities, 2nd Place BR) 70 CP

Question, did you run any Enhanced or Crushings, or were you playing full speed?

RE: This is like the most original deck right? (Top 4 Cities, Top 8 Cities, 2nd Place BR) 72 CP

Full speed. There were quite a few Plasma decks but I avoided them all completely so Enhanced Hammers would have been a complete waste of space.

dmaster out.

3-0 Prerelease Report

Technically, this Prerelease isn't really a part of the last season, but I wanted to write one up anyway and I don't think it really deserves its own thread because it's only a Prerelease. Anyway, I pulled pretty bad out of the eight total packs but I got some surprisingly good Pokemon and managed to go 3-0. I'll include a list at the end.Here's how I did it:

Round 1: Sawk/Haxorus/Chatot vs Sawk/Machamp

So, basically a mirror match essentially. Ironically, this was probably one of the closest and best Prerelease games I've possibly had at least from recent memory. I can't even remember all of the details because of the huge back and forth nature of the game. Anyway, we both flip over Sawk and he has another Basic but I'm going first. This lets me get Low Sweep going first allowing me to take the first prize. I build up a Machop but he ends up confusing me with Drifloon. I'm forced to retreat for three Energy because of my hand and wait to build up some other stuff after a Juniper a couple turns later. I eventually have a Chatot powered up and start Confusing stalling against his Machamp while he discards some Energy from my hand with Knock Off. He hits through one confusion but then flips tails. I attach Reversal Trigger to Chatot baiting him to kill it which he does after he manually retreats his Machamp with 10 damage left. I Reversal Trigger out a Rare Candy and play it to get Haxorus out (another Pokemon I was building up) and KO his Golett with the perfect amount of damage (80, 40x times the amount of Metal which I had two of). After that, he played Catcher on my naked Machop with 30 damage left and a three Retreat Cost and I was sweating bullets. Luckily all he has is his own Sawk doing 10 because Machop isn't a Team Plasma Pokemon. I attach two Energy to Machop and play my last Catcher to bring up his Machamp with 10 damage left and win the game. It was tied 1-1 on Prizes so it ended up being scarily close. Going first probably ended up mattering a ton, but still barely scraped it out.

Round 2:

Pokemon: Sawk/Kangaskhan/Chatot vs Virizion/Ursaring/Octillery

This also ended up being pretty scary but the ending was less of a climax with her playing two Junipers over the course of the match and ending up decking out as she didn't have enough time to take the remaining Prizes she had. It would have been a ton closer had she gotten out Ursaring earlier though because she had Octillery that could snipe two of my damaged Pokemon that I had to retreat out of the active position and she could have swept with Ursaring. I stalled as long as I could by putting the Pokemon with the most HP out there while trying some Tone Deaf confusing stalling tactics. I was only able to take one Prize myself through the match though, so probably escaped with that one.

Round 3: Axew/Sawk vs Glalie/Aron

This was the least disappointing out of the three. I started Axew and he did sleep shenanigans with me never being able to wake up and eventually just sacrificing the Axew. But I charged up my Sawk during those turns and 2HKO'd the Glalie and OHKO'd Arons/Snorunts to take the game in a couple turns. He also tried doing some more Sleep at the end of which I had trouble waking up, but I eventually did going into my turn to take the last prize.

Here's the list:

Pokemon:

2 Kangaskhan
2 Chatot
2 Machop
1 Machamp
2 Axew
1 Haxorus
2 Sawk
1 Throh

Trainers/Supporters:

1 Professor Juniper
2 Pokemon Catcher
1 Rare Candy
1 Silver Mirror
1 Reversal Trigger

Energy:

12 Fighting Energy
9 Metal Energy

Props:

Going 3-0 with an anti-Prerelease deck (yes, that is what I'm dubbing the deck's name as).
Epic Round 1 at a Prerelease that almost went to time lol.
Trading for a bunch of Trainers and things I need to build a Tool deck which is great.

Slops:

Pulling crap.
Sleep flips

dmaster out.

Back