• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format 2003-2004 firestarter deck

brandonmarks994

Aspiring Trainer
so this was my first ever competitive deck, i was like 10 at the time and my grandma had a lot of money so she bought me a ton of cards, and my "step" brother at the time was 15 and already in the competitive scene so he agreed to make a deck for me (any cards i didnt have like rare candy he let me use from his collection cause he had like 20 of them) and this is the deck we came up with (it won like one locals and came 4th at a gym battle, the other 2 tournaments i was in before this deck became illegal i didnt make top 10) ill go by each category cause when i view tiled, it doesnt sort it right. this deck wasnt as good as its gardevoir ramp counterpart, but it was easily second best.

16x fire energy (the holo energys from ex emerald was the best energys ever no contest, the draw power wasnt nearly as good back then so we had to use a lot more energys)

4x vulpix (hidden legends)
3x nine tails ex (hidden legends)
1x ninetails (hidden legends, the one with safeguard)
4x torchic (ruby and sapphire)
2x combusken (ruby and sapphire)
3x blaziken (ruby and sapphire, the one with firestarter)
1x blaziken ex (wouldve been 2 but we only had 1)
2x skitty (ruby and sapphire)
2x delcatty (ruby and sapphire, the one with energy draw)

4x tv reporter (believe it or not this was the best supporter in the game at the time XD seems so weak now since we have stuff like juniper/sycamore, lysandres trump card (which was so good it was banned), and lysandre (which at the time there was no such thing so your bench was kinda safe unless they got lucky with a pokemon reversal)
4x rare candy (oh man this card was the shit back then, you could use it first turn which was pretty f***ing sweet to get your 2 energys a turn going first turn)
3x stevens advice (this was the second best supporter at the time if they knew you played this, it would prevent them from over extending game 2 and 3 so it was kinda like a mind game)
2x copycat (what can i say if you have less cards than your opponent this card was pretty sweet)
2x wallys training (this was cool if you had first turn vulpix and an energy, you could wallys training into ninetails ex and use intensifying glare which was pretty brutal, oh yeah back then you could attack first turn)
2x high pressure system (this was cool since you could retreat an infinite amount of times back then so this has good synergy firestarter to ramp your active pokemon by getting them to the bench and then retreat them back to being active)
1x pokemon reversal (if they try to set up a powerful benched pokemon you can snipe it out just like with lysandre)
1x ancient techincal machine rock (this was my personal tech choice at the time, since if they have a lot of damage counters, you can devolve them and since most decks ran rare candy, they most likely had a basic under it, so instant ko)
1x warp point (to this day i still use escape rope lol)
1x pokemon fan club (the errata puts them to your hand but its basically the same thing)
1x juggler (oh boy if you could pull off the draw 5 your opponent was pretty salty unless he had copycat)

so yeah feel free to critique it, i know there are somethings that i would change if i went back and played knowing what i know now about the game (like having 2 blaziken ex even though theres only 4 torchic just for consistency, or incase i need more damage than ninetails can do), this deck pretty much auto loses to water decks at the time cause its weak to it (and back then weakness was ALWAYS x2) and high pressure system also helps them as well as me

ANgPnd0.jpg

looking back now i see that a lot of people actually used this strategy but also added rayquaza ex for some more damage
EX3_EN_97.png

if i wanted to add it in, i would drop a combusken, and change 3-4 fire energies for lightning energies and maybe an energy search somewhere

The list that made the finals of 2004 Worlds actually didn't play TV Reporter at all. The typical list back then ran Team Aqua's Manectric and Rayquaza ex along with Lightning Energy. I'd also highly recommend a high count of Oracle, since it essentially becomes "search your deck for any 2 cards" with Delcatty's Enery Draw. This is easily your best advantage engine for the deck.

The list that made the finals of 2004 Worlds actually didn't play TV Reporter at all. The typical list back then ran Team Aqua's Manectric and Rayquaza ex along with Lightning Energy. I'd also highly recommend a high count of Oracle, since it essentially becomes "search your deck for any 2 cards" with Delcatty's Enery Draw. This is easily your best advantage engine for the deck.

yeah i see now why i didnt do as well. but we didnt have access to a lot of cards lol this was before buying singles online was popular so we didnt even know about it we just had to use what we had

if it was today i would just use coolstuffinc or tcgplayer

Back