2 vs. 2 and Tag-Team Formats: Your Opinions

Would you like to see double battle and team battle events (tournaments), even if they are unofficia

• I would like to see both doubles and team tourneys in addition to singles.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I would like to see doubles tourneys in addition to singles.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I would like to see team tourneys in addition to singles.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I want things to stay the way they are.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
This has been a question that has crossed my mind several times.

Would you guys like to see some official 2 vs. 2 events (each player has 2 active monsters) or tag-team events (2 players vs. 2 players)? Many cards have effects that are ignored in the major events. I am for the idea of both kinds of formats because it creates more life in the game. Different formats bring different strategies and requires different skills than normal 1 vs. 1 matches.

If I had to choose between 2 vs. 2 and Tag-Team events, I would choose the Tag-Team events, since they are the most different and requires cooperation between the two players. This format was introduced in Japan a while ago, and was introduced here in the U.S. during Wizards' rule over the TCG.

What are your opinions about this matter? Why do you think that way?

RE: 2 vs. 2 and Tag-Team Formats:  Your Opinions

I think it would bring a cool twist to see both...

Of course, I think double battles (2 pokemon each) should be implemented in at least SOME tournaments...

But, the team battles... they might not go over so well, but they would be pretty cool to have every once in a while...
at least have rules for them, like there are for double battles...

Peace...

^ I did a double battle tournament once, I WAS 1st, without knowing it, my typhlosion ex (ss) deck was a perfect double playing deck (ps: it was my birthday that day). I would really like to do a tourney like that again

Tag team would be cool, definitely.

2v2 would be ok, although setup would be kinda hard, if you only had 2 basics.. in the end, there wouldn't be much difference. :/

It would be hard to work ou the schematics, but yes, I think it would be a good idea.

There are a few problems in that though, for instance Pow! says your opponent chooses the defending pokemon to switch, what happens then?

I think the concept of two against two would be easy. Just treat it like you would one on one, playing 2-on-2 style.

Each player gets one Pokémon as their active, and two benched. If one player's only Active is eliminated, then the surviving player continues as he or she would in a normal, 1-on-1 game.

On very rare occasions I play 1-on-1-on-1 (three people) against my brother and my friend. It works pretty well... the only problem is ganging up on someone to eliminate them quickly, but the third guy ends up building his team up and rapes the one of the two other guys that wasn't eliminated. Also, games are pretty quick since everyone kills each other's Pokémon.

Burn and Poison are also brutal because you take damage after everyone's turn... I suppose you could flip for burn or take poison damage after the turn of the person who inflicted the Special Condition on you.

When you need to choose a Defending, you just pick one of the other two guys and have it affect them. Same goes for choosing an opponent. When cards depend on your opponent's hand or cards in play, you just choose one of your two opponents. I suppose it could work in the same way if you were playing with a partner against two people.

Cards that refer to "each Defending Pokémon" are easy to handle... you just nail each of your opponent's Actives. :D

High roll goes first, and then play passes to the left.

Back