(2) All Names Possibly Revealed, More 'Black' and 'White' English Names Revealed [1/13]

I wasn't talking to you specifically until the end. -.- The names that I listed are all ones that are real words. Issue and Isshu are pronounced the same, which is something they should stay away from except for Pokémon.

I'm a bit surprised by how much people are brushing off complaints about "Cofagrigus," and I really didn't see as many complaints here as I saw people complaining about the potential for complaints.
Yes, I get the puns (although I think they're sort of silly, especially since the "egregious" pun isn't at all clear) and I understand the character limit may be a factor (although this, too, seems sort of silly by 5th gen), but I still think TPCi probably should have noticed there was a problem. If your franchise's target audience is grade-school kids, then you probably shouldn't put a word into one of your product's character names that kids would get in trouble for using at school.
There would be no debate about whether this is a bad choice if there were a racial slur embedded in the name of a new Pokemon. For example, what if Zekrom had been called "Negrom?" C'mon guys, it just means "black," right? It's black and they're called Pokemon Black and White versions! See? PUN! It's CLEVER! Gosh, why are you being so sensitive? /end sarcasm
No, "Cofagrigus" is not a big deal in the larger scheme of things--"Axew," for one, is much more offensive, if only for aesthetic reasons--but you'd still think TPCi would have learned their lesson after similar debacles. It's not "political correctness" or "over-sensitivity" to suggest that this isn't the best idea--it's just common sense from a marketing perspective. What editor was sleeping at his or her desk that day?

*FACEPALM*
No, first of all the "offensive" word in Cofagrigus is not even pronounced "friend" and a kid who doesn't know how to pronounce it would ask someone else and receive the correct pronunciation. Secondly even when pronounced like that the word "cofagrigous" isn't so clear to others and I doubt they would really focus on the word "friend."
Also, what do you expect them to do? They made up the name, and somehow they had a 10 character limit and the word coffin has an "f". Why should PCi focus on such a small thing out of 649 Pokemon? And if Zekrom had been named "Negrom"- first of all, Negro is NOT a racial slur, Friend is. Negro was an archaic word used to describe black people. It is NOT offensive, and I doubt they really considered using that. The Pokemon Company doesn't even use the word "war" in a Pokemon game if it's intended for war.
BUT SERIOUSLY, COME ON. Cofagrigous, there just happens to be an f in Coffin, an a from sarcophagus, and the rest from egrigous. A pun doesn't have to be obvious, and the word friend is barely used to describe a homosexual person.
You know what's funny? I highly doubt a homosexual person would be offended, and guess what, NO ONE IS OFFENDED. AT ALL. It is a common trait of today's society to search for profanity IN EVERYWHERE. IT DOES NOT MATTER. I'm sure they've noticed, but why should they care if a couple of people make a big deal out of it?
And Axew? Offensive? Please explain this before I commit suicide.
As for Cofagrigous hurting marketing, realize that it's not pronounced that way and the only thing that actually effects anything is the appearance of the actual Pokemon.
I...I can't really say anything else to such a stupid post.

I don't get why some people can't just accept the (possible) new names. Even with the first generation Pokemon being as uncreative as they were, people are saying that Game Freak is "running out of ideas". Hah, then they were running out of ideas 15 years ago! A purple blob Pokemon called Grimer/Muk (all they did was add an R after "grime" and misspell "muck"), a mime Pokemon called Mr. Mime (yet they can still be female!), A seal Pokemon named Seel, a rock snake Pokemon named Onix (a misspelling of onyx, dammit!), and there's Geodude (which can also be female ._.), Golem, Mew/MewTWO, Ekans/Arbok (snake and cobra spelled backwards, except with cobra misspelled as "kobra"), Ninetales (it has 9... tails), Gloom, Meowth, Mankey, Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam, Farfetch'd, Gastly/Haunter (with Haunter actually being a word T_T), and Ditto. (Yes, I'm sure I missed a LOT of the other names with puns/misspellings, but it'd be WAY too long a list XD)

Now for those who are complaining, take a look at that list. What do you see? Simple misspellings and puns on already existing words/animals. Back then when Kanto was the only existing generation, you guys didn't complain! But when NoA decides to do it again, you start ranting? Names like Roggenrola, Foongus/Amoonguss (still loving these names to death), Sawsbuck, Elgyem/Beheeyem, Eelektrik, Troh, Sawk and more are just little puns/misspellings of words! Why is it a bad thing now when they decide to do it again? Personally, I think it's NoA's way of giving the 5th generation a more classical feel, seeing at how so many of the Pokemon are literal remakes of the 1st generation Pokemon (and some other gens, I'm sure).

So I think some of you guys need to take another look at these names and compare them to the 1st generation names. These are probably the best names NoA could use for the 5th gen Pokemon (presuming that they're even real ._.). Honestly, these foolish names have made me fall in love with Pokemon all over again. XD Even if I actually only started PLAYING the games during the 3rd generation. x3 If a 6th generation is to be made, I really hope NoA decides to make the Pokemon names punny and simple like these. :3

Man, some of you... just deserve a punch in the face... Yeah, you're all very smart, oh yeah, the names are very creative... You guys try so desperatly to force people to accept that you're the right ones and all the names are good. LISTEN! We are allowed to not like the names! I don't give a **** if the names are creative of not. The only thing I care is if the names (the words) sound good to me and most of these names don't sound good to me. As an example "Seel" sounds much better than "Sawsbuck" to me. And you won't stop me or others from disliking such names and that doesn't mean we're dumb compared to you. Maybe I'll get used to them, I don't know, but that's my problem. For now, I have all the right to complain. Even WPM complained about some of them...
AND don't even call me hater! If I complain is because I think they could have done better. I'm a fan of Pokémon since its beginning, Pokémon is probably the most important thing in my life so you people have no right to call me (or other people in the same situation) as haters! Cuz if we are Haters, you're a bunch of Groupies!

**Awaiting mods to ban me and delete my post as usual (lol)**

Wow, Metalizard. I wasn't forcing anything with my post. You don't HAVE to like the names, and you're perfectly entitled to your own opinions. All I was stating was that the new names are very similar to the style of the 1st generation names. THAT'S IT. And yeah, you probably might get banned for that, lmao. x3

Thesepossible names hater party thread

You guys, they're jut UNCONFIRMED names, And i will take back all of the things i say if you prove them to be true.

1. They are overall.... interesting. some are horrendous, but other really scream POCKET MONSTER!!!

2. It's extremely immature to just go off on people when they are expressing their veiws and ideas (metalizard) also, there is no need to try to control opinons. everyone has feelings.....LOL

3. these names will probably be fake, or they'll just grow on everyone.

4. these mean things people are saying is a little offensive (con"friend"ious) and racist(negrom) and what's the axew thing?

5. sorry for "mini-modding" or whatever, just keep this stuff in mind, and lets all be friendly.

some of the names have tpc written all over them, but some (SAWK and THROH) are just plain crazy.

umm.. this is random and stalker-ish, but where is tarazuma? did she finally quit pokemon? i thought she would be the first to comment on this sort of thread.

nikohesus said:
Also, what do you expect them to do? They made up the name, and somehow they had a 10 character limit and the word coffin has an "f". Why should PCi focus on such a small thing out of 649 Pokemon? And if Zekrom had been named "Negrom"- first of all, Negro is NOT a racial slur, Friend is. Negro was an archaic word used to describe black people. It is NOT offensive, and I doubt they really considered using that. The Pokemon Company doesn't even use the word "war" in a Pokemon game if it's intended for war.

I'm well aware of what the word "negro" means, thank you, and it seemed like a good choice for a hypothetical case because:
a) I was guessing someone would pull the "But 'friend' means cigarette in Britain or if you're an astute fifth grader, durr!" line in the same way that someone could (justifiably) point out that "negro" does in fact also mean "black" in Spanish.
b) I didn't want to write the word "Friend" on a Pokemon forum thread, although apparently you have no such concerns. Case in point, the poster above me took offense to my using the word "negro" in my previous point, if only for the hypothetical purpose of an argument.

Okay then, let's imagine a hypothetical in which the word "Friend" does indeed appear in a Pokemon name, somehow as a pun, and perhaps with some vagaries about pronunciation. Do you imagine that would go over particularly well, or even making it past the bad first draft stage? Again, to clarify for posters who might still be offended, I'm using the term here only because nikohesus has done so, and only because it's part of the rhetoric of the hypothetical situation in the argument being had. In no other sense would I use it, but, well, that's what's been put on the table.

I'll certainly give you that it would be worse if the word "f--got"--which seems less susceptible to the "it means 'cigarette' in Britain, or for astute fifth graders" defense, although it does get the "it means 'bundle of sticks' in Britain, or for astute fifth graders" defense--were embedded in a Pokemon name, as the "hard t" (or something) seems to designate this as a "harder" slur against gay people. Case in point, the mod system here replaced the word in question with a " :) don't hate," when the word "friend" didn't get censored.

Furthermore, it's precisely because they won't even use the word "war" in localizing "Wargle" that I wonder why they didn't think more carefully about using the word "friend."

nikohesus said:
No, first of all the "offensive" word in Cofagrigus is not even pronounced "friend" and a kid who doesn't know how to pronounce it would ask someone else and receive the correct pronunciation. Secondly even when pronounced like that the word "cofagrigous" isn't so clear to others and I doubt they would really focus on the word "friend."

You have no idea how the name is pronounced--and none of us will until we hear it spoken in the TV show, or hear it elsewhere. That's been the case since first generation, and since then a lot of folks have continued to "mispronounce" names that don't sound like they look. Moreover, you don't control how people pronounce it--much less two days after the name is announced and you have no verification that you're correct. And the question doesn't really come down to pronunciation anyway.

nikohesus said:
You know what's funny? I highly doubt a homosexual person would be offended, and guess what, NO ONE IS OFFENDED. AT ALL. It is a common trait of today's society to search for profanity IN EVERYWHERE. IT DOES NOT MATTER. I'm sure they've noticed, but why should they care if a couple of people make a big deal out of it?

Whether or not some individuals find it offensive or not doesn't matter--that's subjective, plain and simple. My point is that it doesn't make sense for them to put a sexual slur (or any slur), however pronounced, into the name of a Pokemon, given that they're still apparently worried about naming things "Wargle," given that the target audience for the franchise is grade-school kids, and given that, well, it's just not very classy and they had any number of other options available to them.

nikohesus said:
And Axew? Offensive? Please explain this before I commit suicide.

If you'll read my post--instead of just insulting it--you'll notice that I qualified this statement with "if only for aesthetic reasons." That's called a joke, and it was meant to lighten the mood of my post. If you don't know what "aesthetic means," then I suggest you look it up. Like I said, this really isn't that big a deal, I just don't understand why people seemed to be harping on the very idea of having a discussion about the name. Point is, they could have localized the Pokemon in question as _anything,_ but they chose to localize it in such a way that--whether it's the correct pronunciation or not--includes a slur against gay folks. That doesn't strike me as the best choice.

nikohesus said:
I...I can't really say anything else to such a stupid post.

And that last sentence is why you're not really worth responding to in the first place, but I've gone ahead and done so anyway. Could you maybe, I dunno, chill out and be a bit less caustic in the future? Insults don't make your point any stronger.

I'm still not sure about whether to fully believe this list or not (I'm sure it's something that's been discussed in-depth, but I don't have the time to search the thread for it), but these are my comments if the list is in fact accurate:

Serperior - Could have been worse.
Samurott - A couple people speculated this one. It's going to take me a while to get over hearing the "rot" part.
Stoutland - Decent, makes it feel mighty.
Tranquill - Seems like a name that should have been saved for a different Pokémon. Doesn't really fit the attitude this Pokémon's design suggests.
Zebstrika - Nice. Fits it well.
Roggenrola - The length of the name contrasts the tiny appearance of the Pokémon and the length of its evolutions' names, but that's a minor issue. A good name nonetheless.
Excadrill - "Exca-" makes it sound legendary (I know it has to do with excavation and not excalibur), but a good name.
Conkeldurr - This may have been discussed already, but what is the origin for this one? "Conk-" seems to come from concrete, but I can't seem to get the last part. Is "-eldurr" supposed to be like "builder"?
Seismitoad - A good name.
Throh / Sawk - I guess this is the best route they could have taken? Sawk's going to take some getting used to.
Krookodile - Not bad.
Sigilyph - Really cool name.
Cofagrigus - It's too bad this one is 100% confirmed... It's a decent name (ignoring the word that sticks out like a sore thumb), but I think with Desukan, an "easy way out name" would have been better.
Carracosta / Archeops - Nice names.
Trubbish / Garbodor - Probably my favorite names out of this Generation, should they be real.
Karrablast - "Blast" seems like too strong a word for a little basic bug, but the name is alright overall.
Foongus / Amoonguss - Could've been worse.
Eelektrik / Eelektross - For some reason I completely missed the "Eel" part of the name and wondered why they used double e's. Now that I see it, these names are fine.
Elgyem / Beheeyem - Not sure what they did here. What are the origins for these names? Edit: Nevermind. Saw this post.
Haxorus - Increased "HAX!" when this thing lands multiple criticals. A decent name.
Mienshao - I thought "Kojondo" would stay, but Mienshao is pretty cool.
Mandibuzz - Makes me think of some sort of Bug-Type Electibuzz, though I understand what they're going for.

I'm pleased with the names overall (again, if they're official).

Metalizard said:
Man, some of you... just deserve a punch in the face... Yeah, you're all very smart, oh yeah, the names are very creative... You guys try so desperatly to force people to accept that you're the right ones and all the names are good. LISTEN! We are allowed to not like the names! I don't give a **** if the names are creative of not. The only thing I care is if the names (the words) sound good to me and most of these names don't sound good to me. As an example "Seel" sounds much better than "Sawsbuck" to me. And you won't stop me or others from disliking such names and that doesn't mean we're dumb compared to you. Maybe I'll get used to them, I don't know, but that's my problem. For now, I have all the right to complain. Even WPM complained about some of them...
AND don't even call me hater! If I complain is because I think they could have done better. I'm a fan of Pokémon since its beginning, Pokémon is probably the most important thing in my life so you people have no right to call me (or other people in the same situation) as haters! Cuz if we are Haters, you're a bunch of Groupies!

**Awaiting mods to ban me and delete my post as usual (lol)**

Of course you do have a right to "complain". Just bear in mind exactly what it is you are raising such a huge fuss about: The names of fictional monsters in a children's videogame.

Maybe you think it's something worth complaining* about, I dunno.

*by "complaining" I mean things like calling PUSA "morons" and their names and expression of "dumbness"... and you wonder why people accuse you of being a hater rather than a "constructive critic".

You can look at it this way: Say I went to fake creations forum, and I feel like this certain guy "could do better" with his fake card's designs, so I "complain" because I want him to do better, and I do this by calling his works "dumb" and "moronic". And when other people criticise me for my tone, I reply that they deserve a "punch in the face" for trying to infringe against my right to complain. How's that?

Forum rules aside, I'll say this much: the Christians like to quote their bible: "give, and you shall receive". Likewise if you're going to launch a verbal assault at something or someone, you will receive something in return, not necessarily from the thing you targeted, but it will come, and it will not be something you like. You may or many not feel that you deserve what you get, but in the same manner, the very thing you insult may or may not feel that it deserved it either.

Augustice9 said:
there is no need to try to control opinons

It's not about opinions, it's about how they are expressed. See what usually earns people a ban or a warn is this...

1. Guy has opinion
2. Guy expressed opinion in a very extreme way
3. Others disapprove
4. The guy interprets it that the people are saying he has no right to his opinion. He plays the "I have a right to my own opinion" card to justify his actions.
5. Flamewar/Report/Warn/etc

Technically in the forum constitution, there is NO opinion control. There is however, an extent of etiquette control (Rule #6) which basically means you can't really just post away without consideration to how the post is worded. Some people assume the rule works in a manner that conveniently allows them to hurl insults at a non-member (eg. "I can bash GameFreak because GameFreak is a company, not a member on the forum that could feel insulted by my posts"), of course that's now how it works.

@TomSkylark

Regards to how politically correct or incorrect a name may sound to you, we'll have to wait and see. I personally don't think the current issue is going to escalate like say, the yungeller issue with Kadabra.

Plus given the way society works today, every 5th grader is more or less guaranteed to be very conversant in the slur vocabulary in a very short amount of time. I mean... despite the fact that they aren't formally taught these words or see them in children's material, they still somehow manage to pick it up.

I don't even think pokemon naming will serve to catalyse the process because if they already knew what "friend" means, it wouldn't change anything, and if they didn't... well the pokemon's name isn't going to end up teaching them what it means.

Hmm, I think Gamefreak would take much consideration when naming Pokémon to not get any potentially offensive slurs. And nowadays, I'm afraid, these sorts of words are used much more as deliberate insults than accidentally said. If someone can find a gay person, then maybe we can ask them about it. Until then, we'll just have to assume it wouldn't be offensive.

Somehow I think too many things are considered naughty today :p

I don't know why but the innuendo dictionary keeps expanding. When I was younger, you could say things like "I came" and people wouldn't get their minds in the gutter... According to my previous English teacher, it's largely due to the internet, as people try to come up with new ways to sound witty.

Hmm... Okay, so I read back through all the pages (so much hate. D: ), and decided that, as a gay guy, maybe I should give my input about all this CoFAGrigus business (heehee, it rhymed! Well, sort of). I personally wasn't offended in the slightest by it. Hell, I didn't even SEE that "friend" was in there until you guys mentioned it; I just assumed the letter limitation necessitated an "f" instead of a "ph." I don't think it's very mature to point it out over and over and over and over and over. I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the name is meant to be pronounced so that the "friend" part is stressed. Besides, friend is just another nicer-sounding euphemism for homosexual (and in Britain, they call cigarettes fags. :'D). If "friend" or "fannybandit" (which actually sounds really cute!) or [insert extremely vulgar string of euphemisms for homosexuality here] was in there, well, then you moral guardians and children can have your field day. Until then, chill~

Anywhoo, I am loving a lot of these new names! Leavanny sounds expecially pretty, I'm glad it got such a nice-sounding name. Throh and Sawk are nice too; they're short and sweet and relate to the type of fighting tactics the Pokémon chooses to use. My faves have got to be Kling, Klang, and Klingklang. I mean, seriously, quickly say Klingklang out-loud. It tickles your tongue. XD

i think klink, klang, klinklang it's the most funniest names, you can make a jingle out of that, why not klink then gig-link, giga-lock or something like that

i've noticed alot of these pokemon have like 2 different word syllable to make one word like (if this makes since at all)
-klink-lang
-ex-ca-dril
-lilli-pup
-pat-rat
-lie-pard

what happend to the good old days, like bulbasaur, kangaskhan, treecko, where they actually sound like one word like weedle, ratatta, torchic,

an so on, am i pronouncing them weird?, but i hope alot of these aren't real like, timburr, crustle, stoutland, throh an sawk? might as well name of as duble-yu-te-efer, that sounds better then half of these names

i've just realised, Game freak needs heaps of praise for coming up with unique individual names, its better than ending ALL the names with 'mon' *cough* digimon *cough*

I thought Patrat was pronounced Pa-trat. You like Pa in Patrol since that's was part of the name derives from.

#603 Elektrik = Electrike…. wow how creative

By this I was comparing Electrike from ruby and sapphire to the new pokemon Elektrik

Back