Ruling 2 Active pokemon

Scizor VS Me

Aspiring Trainer
Can u have 2 active poke bescause some guy said u can. Can some1 tell me if u cant or can not bescause during a tourment a guy have 2 active pokemon. Jirachi and Gastly . He use Jirachi poke power and both of his pokemon are asleep.

Yes you can have 2 active Pokémon.
But i dont know if is legal to have 2 active Pokémon during a tournament.

It depends on what format you agreed to play with against your opponent. There is a single battle format (which is played most of the time), and then there is a double battle format, where each player uses 2 active monsters. Only one monster can attack per turn. If a monster is KOed, it must be replaced. Essentially, you must have 2 active monsters out if you can (unless you have only 1 monster left).

There is also a team play format that was introduced during the times that Wizards was still around. I wish that there were team play tournaments; that would be pretty cool. I actually had a thread with a poll regarding 2 vs. 2 and team play, but it is probably dead by now (you can check if you want... should be in the TCG discussion page).

EDIT: Yeah, my thread is older than a month. I think you can still vote in the poll; just can't post anymore.

If you happen to have a rulebook from an EX starter deck handy, there's a section dedicated to 2 on 2 battles. Basic gameplay rules are the same, with a couple exceptions:

-Only one active attacks per turn
-Up to 4 Pokemon on Bench (2 Active, 4 Bench = 6 total)
-Some attacks damage both defending. If it doesn't specify so, then you choose the target of your attack.
-When playing a trainer card that targets your Active Pokemon, you choose which Active Pokemon the card targets.

Back