1st round nationals bye?

tanker

Aspiring Trainer
I saw that if you win states you will get a first round bye! Do you know if this is optional and how do you like this?

I think it is automatically, I like it... if I win a states I'll already have an invite so I won't need the points.... Also, one prize for winning nats is X amount of byes at worlds!

#1weavile said:
Helps because a donk in the beginning will diminish your chances of winning.
Yeah I agree but you don't get points for the win and if you go 5-3 it lowers your chance of top cutting.

Actually I heard that the bye was perfect resistance which would help.

piplup234 said:
I think it is automatically, I like it... if I win a states I'll already have an invite so I won't need the points.... Also, one prize for winning nats is X amount of byes at worlds!

How would you already have an invite? You don't get one for winning states.

I kinda like the bye and I kinda dont. Guess I'll worry about it if I win states.

I'd love to get a bye...
But I doubt it, good idea I think.
Also he would have an invite cuz his rating would be like 1820....

PokeKid Brandon said:
Actually I heard that the bye was perfect resistance which would help.

How would you already have an invite? You don't get one for winning states.

I kinda like the bye and I kinda don't. Guess I'll worry about it if I win states.
I didn't know that so it would be good to win. Also they would have more people with wins then losses so just a lot more work trying to figure out what you need to get to top cut.

If the bye does give you resistance then I would love it but if it isn't then not so much. I probably won't have to worry about it though because I don't have a good chance at winning.

Where'd you hear this?

Byes have never given resistance. They often screw up the computer in 3-round tournaments (which makes them good), but in anything else, they will be horrible for your resistance.

And also, you can never be sure about points. I won 2 states (undefeated) and T4ed in a regionals and I barely made the cut last year. Be careful ;)

I really like this, it sounds sick and if i went to nationals I'd probably lose out so this would help.

The 2010 New Mexico Pokémon State Championship is coming!!!
[http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p-eFe-zRvMPdB4lGd9f695OZLrxwFlhCod4OZDhdM9_Qk6X1yR4iDiWiJwM0l-GQIRpt1yAmEMN-5nMpbE-luKg/POP_S-P-T_DP_RGB_logo.jpg?download CTRL + Click to follow link]
Basic Information

Location: Albuquerque Convention Center 401 2nd St. NW, Albuquerque, NM
West Complex- Upper level- In the Ruidoso/San Miguel Room

Date: Saturday, March 13th, 2010

Time: Registration begins at 8:30 AM (Registration ends at 10:15 AM). Player meeting begins at 10:30 AM.
The main tournament (swiss rounds) can last 5 to 6 hours.

FOOD: Concession stands will be open at 9am and stay open for dinner time, this will be available across the walkway bridge on the second floor, same floor as the event.

You must be in the registration line with your decklist ready no later than 10:15 AM or you may receive a first round loss or not be allowed to enter the event. Don't be late!
Please see this link for a decklist you can print out: http://pokegym.net/decklist/pokemon.htm

Three Age Divisions: Juniors (born in 1999 or later)/Seniors (born in 1995, 1996, 1997, or 1998)/Masters (born in 1994 or earlier)
K-Value: 32

Format: Modified Constructed Deck (bring your own deck - Cards are allowed from Diamond Pearl or later as well as Promos from POP Series 6 and above and Black Star Promos DP01 and higher) We will do Age Modified Swiss (all players will play in every round)

Cost: FREE

What are the prizes??
All participants will receive a 2010 States promo card plus a special promotional item (while supplies last). In addition, the top 8 players in age group will receive the following:

1st - 36 boosters, trophy and a playmat • A $300 travel allowance to participate in the Pokémon TCG National Championships (U.S. & Canada). This allowance will be given on-site at the National Championships.* and A first-round bye at the U.S. or Canadian National Championships**

2nd - 16 boosters and a trophy
3rd - 8 boosters and a trophy
4th - 8 boosters and a trophy
5th through 8th - 4 boosters

* Players can win multiple travel allowances. Travel allowances must be collected by the winner of record.
** Byes do not stack. Players winning more than one S/P/T event will receive only a first-round bye.

Additional Information: Call (602) 791-4941 or e-mail [email protected]

Free Pokémon Raffles!! MORE DETAILS COMING SOON.....

"Thank you for supporting the stores that support our leagues and Pokémon"

Patricia McCann
Premier Tournament Organizer

(If you no longer want to receive these emails please reply with a request to be removed, thank you)

There you go

I GOTTA GET FIRST AT STATES!!

*runs to practice and throw his life away more to train for states*
That is actually really really cool. I am excited.

I don't remember this last year. I think they just added this First round bye at Nationals this year IIRC.

dmaster out.

Well, in my opinion. I don't really like this that much, you really don't feel like a winner when your up in top cut because you could have lost in round 1. Also, this hurts your resistance.

Back