1st edition problem. please help!

beautiful-swablu

Aspiring Trainer
Could somebody clear this up for me? I was talking with a friend about 1st edition pokemon cards and we got a bit confused. We were once told that no 1st editions ever had the shadow on the right. But recently I read somewhere that only the base 1st editions were always shadowless. I have some rocket 1st editions and I don't know if they are fake or not because they have a shadow down the side. When I ordered a dark dragonair recently it had a shadow and a 1st edition stamp. If it is fake I would like to know so that I can replace it and get my money back.

Here is the deal. When the Pokémon TCG and the Base Set was originally made, the 1st edition cards didn't have shadows. Neither did the regular release of Base Set. However, after a while, it seems that they released a "3rd edition" release of Base Set (not Base Set 2, still the original base set), which included various changes such as bolder text, shadow borders, and Pikachu's cheeks being changed to gold instead of red. After this 3rd edition release, the cards remained with the shadows and the exta effects; they never reverted back to the shadowless borders at any other time. So the Dark Dragonair that you have is not fake.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
Here is the deal. When the Pokémon TCG and the Base Set was originally made, the 1st edition cards didn't have shadows. Neither did the regular release of Base Set. However, after a while, it seems that they released a "3rd edition" release of Base Set (not Base Set 2, still the original base set), which included various changes such as bolder text, shadow borders, and Pikachu's cheeks being changed to gold instead of red. After this 3rd edition release, the cards remained with the shadows and the exta effects; they never reverted back to the shadowless borders at any other time. So the Dark Dragonair that you have is not fake.

Didn't they update the base set after a certain amount of time because the first prints looked really bad? I thought they did because I have some old prints and most of them ar newer reprints of the set.:)

Back