1st Edition cards

PokeGB

Aspiring Trainer
This may be like a "noob" question, but in the later year cards, how do you determine if it is 1st edition?

I.E. the base set has a edition 1 to the left of the art work, what would the dark explorers set have for a 1st edition?

After Neo Destiny, they stopped printing 1st edition cards in English so there aren't any 1st edition Dark Explorers cards. :p

SoulWind said:
After Neo Destiny, they stopped printing 1st edition cards in English so there aren't any 1st edition Dark Explorers cards. :p

No problem. I didn't know that.

I'm collecting agai nfor the first time since the original WotC sets.

Why did they stop printing 1st editions do you know?

PokeGB said:
No problem. I didn't know that.

I'm collecting agai nfor the first time since the original WotC sets.

Why did they stop printing 1st editions do you know?

No idea. I think it was a pretty poor decision though. :p

Welcome back! I just started collecting again almost a year ago.

Honestly, I don't see the point in 1st Edition cards. Does it really matter if your card is from the 1st print or from the subsequent prints? As long as I have the card, I'm happy.

Metalizard said:
Honestly, I don't see the point in 1st Edition cards. Does it really matter if your card is from the 1st print or from the subsequent prints? As long as I have the card, I'm happy.

Not to get off topic, but I think 1st editions add a fun aspect to collecting.

They're generally more desireable and thus, more difficult to obtain. :)

Yeah I get both your points as they are pritty pointless cause youd be happy you had the card your after, but at the same time, having 1st edition cards does bring a extra aspect to a collection.

Well, I understand what you guys mean but to me, they're the exact same card, only with an extra symbol (which is just the number 1 with 'edition' below) printed so I don't feel it's worth the extra value over the regular print cards. Also, I'm a collector too so I guess it depends on what you valorize and therefore choose to collect.

The funny thing is that they are literally the same card, but the 1st edition is just stamped on some of them :p

I feel the whole point of the 1st edition was to add that special rarity that was only available if you got the cards when they first came out in the first print run. It seemed like a way to distinguish true fans who were anxious to buy Pokemon cards as soon as they came out.
Or it was just a marketing ploy to get fans to buy even more Pokemon cards because there was a difference between 1st edition and non.
Or it could have been that Wizards found out they were getting dropped when they went to make the Expedition series, so they thought of it as a way to get at Pokemon. Who knows :p

The Japanese still make 1st Edition cards though.

First edition prints were stopped after wizards were struggling to get them out on time before the unlimited print. I think it was with neo revelation and discovery, the 1st and unlimited prints came out pretty much simultaneously. The unlimited even came out before 1st for one set, can't remember which now...
Either way, it does add some fun to collecting, but it can kinda suck when you have an awesome card that is unlimited, and there's that little annoyance that there is a better version out there haha

SoulWind said:
No idea. I think it was a pretty poor decision though. :p

Welcome back! I just started collecting again almost a year ago.

What is even stranger is when 1st edition cards stopped in the US they started printing them in Japan...

I think the EX cards and the cards that are LVX or X cards are in a way like a 1st edition cards. The only 1st edition rare I ever got was a Beedrill Base set I think or was it Jungle. Anyway can't remember which set it is from though plus I have quite a few other 1st editions and the list is pretty long XD.:)

Back