#14: Animal Testing

Krucifier said:
Animal testing is not immoral. It gives us a better understanding of the world around us, and scientific applications.

The people who complain about animal testing are the types of girls in school who think they are better than everyone, and they want everyone to know it. You know, the type of girl that runs for School Captain, or Student Council. Ergo, the types of people who appeal to the emotions just to get places. The types of girls that people seem to think will be President or Prime Minister, but end up living off of sugar daddies or working at <generic adult entertainment venue>.

Last time I checked I wasnt a girl. *Goes and checks again* Yep still a guy.

Testing stuff on animals like cosmetics is not learning about the world around us, its about making money. Scientists often mistreat the animals they are working with.

You guys need to read what I said again. I was presenting a common stereotype. Not saying that it's only females that whinge about it.

xanaseviper said:
Last time I checked I wasnt a girl. *Goes and checks again* Yep still a guy.

Testing stuff on animals like cosmetics is not learning about the world around us, its about making money. Scientists often mistreat the animals they are working with.

Define mistreat? It's not as if the scientists kick the animals around, if that is what you are implying. There are rules, laws and regulations regarding animal testing, despite what you may believe, or what you have been told by animal rights activists.

Krucifier said:
Define mistreat? It's not as if the scientists kick the animals around, if that is what you are implying. There are rules, laws and regulations regarding animal testing, despite what you may believe, or what you have been told by animal rights activists.
I agree with this completely. Although I don't see why we need to test cosmetics on animals, I don't see why it is "cruel".
*Awaits flamestorm*

DogMaster40 said:
I agree with this completely. Although I don't see why we need to test cosmetics on animals, I don't see why it is "cruel".
*Awaits flamestorm*
Don't see why it's cruel? Well then I must agree with afstandopleren and say I believe in equality too. The lives of the animals in trade of ''our'' lives? Is that fair? Is that equal? They do have the same right as us to live. What do they get in trade of their lives? A title as; ''Best animal who served the superior species as test animals''? There must be a limit of testing... Although I can't deny we do have an instinct. An instinct that says us we must survive...

Well there are videos I saw at school in scotland that show scientists hurting animals like kicking them around and stuff.

Pokequaza said:
Don't see why it's cruel? Well then I must agree with afstandopleren and say I believe in equality too. The lives of the animals in trade of ''our'' lives? Is that fair? Is that equal? They do have the same right as us to live. What do they get in trade of their lives? A title as; ''Best animal who served the superior species as test animals''? There must be a limit of testing... Although I can't deny we do have an instinct. An instinct that says us we must survive...
It's like someone said earlier in the thread, we are superior to animals, and although there is a limit to what we can do to them without being cruel, we are no where near equal. Considering animals and humans equal is ridiculous. If we were to consider them equal, then why should we be allowed to use them for food? In my eyes, the life of a human is greater than the life of an animal, and it isn't fair, but life isn't "fair" in the first place.

DogMaster40 said:
It's like someone said earlier in the thread, we are superior to animals I don't think so. At least not in a good way superior, if you call ruling over the animals and make them suffer superior, well I don't want to have that title then, and although there is a limit to what we can do to them without being cruel True, but what's that limit? Is there even a limit? I don't really think so, we are no where near equal. Still WE ARE animals, so if we call us superior that would make us different from animals, we wouldn't be animals then anymore, a group apart. And can a group be superior ton its own group? Considering animals and humans equal is ridiculous. Still we ARE animals ._. If we were to consider them equal, then why should we be allowed to use them for food? Because we're omnivores, meat as food is needed for us to survive, here you go, what's the problem? Lions for example do eat other animals too, so they aren't equal to animals either? In my eyes, the life of a human is greater than the life of an animal You say that because you are a human, your look to life through the eyes of a human, and since we do know selfishness so we always will call ourselves ''better'', and it isn't fair, but life isn't "fair" in the first place. I... do agree... with you last sentence...

replies in bold...

I think it isn't right, I mean animals have lives to. I don't thinkhumans wan to be tested on! Poor Animals.

I'm all for animal testing for medical reasons.I rather they be tested on and find how the drugs work before the drugs are given to humans to try.This my opinion.

Pokequaza:
Of course I realize we are animals, I don't believe in "souls" or anything like that. We are superior because of our intellect. And yes, there is a limit, since we can't test things without a good reason, like PMJ's headless bunnies example. Testing like that may be legal in some countries, but most define it as animal cruelty. And with medical tests, although we have to make them sick first, the point is to find a cure to that illness, and if they fail, they should have the decency to put them down.

Yes, there are rules, laws, and regulations ALL over the place as far as animals go. They appear for shelters, vets, rescue groups, pounds, and it goes on. When you look at these places, however, many of them DO NOT follow these regulations and generally are not checked upon to make sure they do so. As far as we know they are doing as they please to these animals because they government is not forcing it upon then to follow these standards. I have been volunteering with animals at many places and I have heard many stories.

Just because they tell you they are there to help doesn't mean they are helping the animals in any way.

Just a question is this helping the animals. NO. I thought so. The animals have nothing to do with this it willl not help them it will just hurt them. Don't try and tell me that we are superior to animals because we eat them some animals eat us. Animals can be smarter than some humans, apes are smarter than your average high school rebel.

xanaseviper said:
Just a question is this helping the animals. NO. I thought so. The animals have nothing to do with this it willl not help them it will just hurt them. Don't try and tell me that we are superior to animals because we eat them some animals eat us. Animals can be smarter than some humans, apes are smarter than your average high school rebel.

"Animals can be smarter than some humans, apes are smarter than your average high school rebel." ~ And you're basing that on what? Anecdotal evidence? Your own percieved little delusion of how the world works? Why don't you go learn what intelligence is in the first place, and then I dare you to say that again. Intellience is not how high you can count to, intelligence is not how many elements of the periodic table you can name. That's just what people like you seem to believe, that you're only "smart" if you do Science and Math, and if you don't, then heck you're as dumb as an ape. I'm an A grade senior Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths, Maths and more Maths student, and I'm telling you, intelligence has NOTHING to do with the subjects you do at school. NOTHING.

And to answer your question, this *IS* helping animals. We are Homo sapiens, we are animals. We test on other animal groups to benefit other animal groups (normally us, Homo sapiens).

Perhaps one day you'll be dying of cancer. Are you going to reject the cure because it was found by testing it on animals? No you wouldn't.

Let's look at it this way. If the animals wouldn't be tested on by us, then they would be dieing out in the wild from various predators/disease/etc.

xanaseviper, speak for your self, not others. Ok, great a monkey is smarter than YOU. Don't say that it's smarter than me. If you want to say that your IQ is even with stupid monkeys, then by all means do. But please at least give the rest of us credit for our intelligence.

And for the record, if animals were smarter than us, then WE would be the ones who are tested on, not the other way around.

xanaseviper said:
Animals can be smarter than some humans, apes are smarter than your average high school rebel.

I'd absolutely love to see a monkey outwit even a kid failing every class. Seriously, it would be the funniest thing ever.

Well, I'm glad testing on animals to find cures for deadly diseases is so wrong. We can all enjoy suffering through cancer and other diseases. Sounds like a party to me!

Well they still suffer from disease and such while we find cures and such for our aliments. Humans can find other ways to cure things.
What if an animal of another species does become smarter though, you would change your perspective completely and know why I say this.

And the ape thing it was a joke, I can joke can't I?

^ Its a matter of surviving. If we need to test on animals then so be it. You must think of number one. If an animal was in your position they would not hesitate as they can see as a species they are more important than us and thus we must not get in the way

Surviving? Uhm, yes our instinct says us to survive. But it doesn't say we have to kill animals for that. That's our own selfishness, we want to ''prepare'' for when we suffer, yup it's just part of our selfishness...

To be honest yes I would be happy to get cured if I was in suffer from a disease, even though with the idea animals suffered from it, only because my instinct said I had to survive. But this is too because my selfishness wouldn't allow me to see myself equal to animals, although I try to do...

But still, I can't deny it's cruel...

Life just isn't fair... and I've experienced that in several ways...

Back